(REL) American Airlines Aircraft

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

wonderboydd
Engineer
Engineer

(REL) American Airlines Aircraft

Post by wonderboydd »

Though this is my first post to the forums, I have read through A LOT of material on here. Thanks to everyone for all the posts that have been so helpful!

I have been into these games since the original Transport Tycoon and love them. I will say that I have enjoyed A LOT of the mods I have seen people create for Locomotion, especially all the hard work that went into the A320 pack.

About 9 months ago I started into doing design work for some new aircraft. However, I was haulted abruptly when my computer died. This was my first stab at creating for Locomotion, however, I had done a little work with Auran Trainz in the past. Finally now after Christmas and all the overtime - I have a new computer and time to work on models again.

Now after all the rambling, to the point of the post --- My goal is to create as many of the aircraft types used for each airline in thier livery. I decided to start with American Airlines.

So far I have created a DC 10 model which I think is looking pretty good. This one is nearly finished:
americanDC10.png
americanDC10.png (47.52 KiB) Viewed 7726 times
Still some work to be done on this model before I can release it. Still working on getting it positioned correctly and work out a few small bugs. Let me know any feedback --- open to constructive criticism.

I have in the works a few more models - meaning the models are made, textures applied, however, they arent really ready for Locomotion yet as they need some adjusting and sizing (so no pictures yet). Pictures comming soon of those. These models include a 757, 767, 727, 737, MD80, & an EJR-145. Possibly considering a few others to add to the pack too like the 777 and maybe a 747. Any ideas of what other smaller aircraft like regionals that American flies? I know CRJs and they used to do Saab 340s. For the Saab I cant seem to find any schematics.

Looking forward to releasing some stuff soon. Will keep everyone posted.
one in particular

UPDATE --- Release

Well, I finally got the issues worked out, Unfortunately, the 737 didnt ever make it. For some reason this one in particular kept giving me so many issues that I finally just dropped it. I may go back to it at some point.
Below is a picture of the models (which I admit isnt all that great of a picture, the earlier pictures below are a little better) In the picture: top row is the 727, 757, 767, 777. second row is the DC10, MD 80, Bottom row is ERJ and F100.
Models. Not all that great quality, but it works.
Models. Not all that great quality, but it works.
Example.png (12.62 KiB) Viewed 7184 times
Heres the download. Let me know feedback on the models.

UPDATE: new release correcting some issues:
V 1.2 American.zip
(680.11 KiB) Downloaded 634 times
Watch for more models comming soon. I think my next project will be pre-merger Delta in the '95-'00 color scheme.
Last edited by wonderboydd on 16 Jan 2010 17:47, edited 2 times in total.
Harbon 1
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: (WIP) American Airlines Aircraft

Post by Harbon 1 »

Looks good! Great detail!

Welcome to the forums :D
str8jakett
Engineer
Engineer

Post by str8jakett »

Cool! Looking forward to using your work :D
The Tram man
Chairman
Chairman

Post by The Tram man »

SWEET!! I have been waiting to see something like this!

Btw, are you planning to make there retro jets?

Also, they use/used the Fokker F-28-1000.
NEcorridor
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by NEcorridor »

this motivates me 2 dig up the old lomo cd :!:
ALAMEDA CORRIDOR Map (WIP)

It's been revived
wonderboydd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wonderboydd »

Just posting an update on whats been going on ---

I have 3 models into the game --- the DC-10 which I pictured, an MD-80 and a 737. Right now trying to work out some bugs.

I think I need to go back out to the models to fix the issues. Right now the biggest issue is the positioning. Having trouble with the one of the axises being off. causing the plane to be off to the side when moving on that axis. I tried to adjust the XML to fix it but it just moved the issue to the other axis. I think my Y-axis is off in the modeling program and by moving it may fix the issue in the game. Also, last night when I looked at the picture of the DC-10 I saw that the wing seem to have gotten moved up too far.

One other issue I seem to be having is the coloring and conistency among the models. My 737 came out way too light and almost looks white compared to the DC-10. I think I may need to work on darkening the textures some. Finding the metalic textures are harder to work with than I thought. I figure if I can get the metalic textures down, then solid whites on other liverys will be easy. :D

I think all these issues are pretty easy to fix. And I am hoping to release something by the end of the week. I may not get them all released in one shot but at least have a few planes to start with.

retro Astro-jet idea - May see what kind of reference material I can find and which planes I can find it for.. May be a possibility
Neeraj
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Neeraj »

Awesome! This might make me start using airplanes in LoMo. For an additional airplane: may I suggest the ATR42/72 to round out the lineup of current American Fleet? In my mind, the following will be a really nice representation of the current fleet:

Boeing MB80
Boeing 737-800
Boeing 757
Boeing 767
Boeing 777
ERJ 135/145 (only one of these ... or two with same graphic different specs for price and pax)
ATR 42/72 (only one of these ... or two with same/very similar graphic different specs for price and pax)

Thanks!! :bow:

- Neeraj
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Neeraj wrote:Awesome! This might make me start using airplanes in LoMo. For an additional airplane: may I suggest the ATR42/72 to round out the lineup of current American Fleet? In my mind, the following will be a really nice representation of the current fleet:

Boeing MB80
Boeing 737-800
Boeing 757
Boeing 767
Boeing 777
ERJ 135/145 (only one of these ... or two with same graphic different specs for price and pax)
ATR 42/72 (only one of these ... or two with same/very similar graphic different specs for price and pax)

Thanks!! :bow:

- Neeraj
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=286463
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
as97ir
Engineer
Engineer

Post by as97ir »

wow i cant wait for this pack :)
wonderboydd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wonderboydd »

Update:
The positioning issues are solved. Aparently the modeling program likes them to set on top of the horizon of the X Axis and not in the middle as I thought.

Now its on to figuring out shadows. I must have used the wrong files to make the shadows from because they are tilted the wrong way.

The models are looking pretty good otherwise.
other than still having some issues with coloring but they look better. Its the 757 and 737 that do not look quite right still.

so far I have the 727, 737, 757, 767, 777, DC10, MD80, ERJ and an F100 models done. In game the models look pretty good. Coloring is still a tiny issue.

Below is two pictures of most of the models in the game:
part1.png
part1.png (32.39 KiB) Viewed 7369 times
part2.png
part2.png (21.3 KiB) Viewed 7369 times
Gotta work out the shadows next.

Unfortunately, I am not really finding any schematics for the ATR's, Saab or CRJ's . Airliners.net doesnt have any there. Any ideas where else to find them?

I am figuring once I have the shadows worked out, I gotta work on how to edit the pricing and running costs - Then they should be ready for release.
str8jakett
Engineer
Engineer

Post by str8jakett »

Looking good! Will you be doing any other airlines or just AA?
wonderboydd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wonderboydd »

Definately considering other airlines. Once I have the American Airlnines done, I will have a number of models that it iwll be easy to just change textures and do other packs. I am thinking that Continental will be easy - A LOT of the same planes American flies are also with Continental. I love Northwest's old bowling shoe style livery and thinking of doing a few of the models needed and creating a pack of Northwest.

Also, looking for ideas of other airlines people are interested in....
The Tram man
Chairman
Chairman

Post by The Tram man »

How about SAS(Scandinacian Airlines)?

Btw: The models look AWESOME!
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

If only both TT and LoMo were less train oriented, more beautiful addtions to the games like these would be made. As a solo project I admire your work and look forward to playing with them in LoMo soon. Now if only the OTTD pallette had easier colour range for silver, the OTTD World Airliner Set MD80, 757 and 777 we have made still look a bit off in the colour. Bare metal is hard!
as97ir
Engineer
Engineer

Post by as97ir »

wow wow its very beautiful the pics of the airplanes when is the release date
SD89MAC
Director
Director

Post by SD89MAC »

as97ir wrote:wow wow its very beautiful the pics of the airplanes when is the release date
It's done when it's done and it's finished when it's finished :roll:
Sorry to beat you to it, IA
Image - Winner of the 2010 - Best New User Award (Locomotion Forum)
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

SD89MAC wrote:
as97ir wrote:wow wow its very beautiful the pics of the airplanes when is the release date
It's done when it's done and it's finished when it's finished :roll:
Sorry to beat you to it, IA
To bad you said it wrong,

Its finished when its done and its done when its finished.
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
wonderboydd
Engineer
Engineer

Re: (REL) American Airlines Aircraft

Post by wonderboydd »

Okay I just updated the release of the pack. You'll find the download at the top of the page in the edited section of my first post.

Have fun with it.

Thinking next is Delta. Got A LOT of cross-over that only involves new textures. The whites on them will sure be easier than dealing with the metal on these ones.

Also, another idea for a project I have, which I may open a new thread for soon, is a new industry (purchaseable in the game) that is a Hub transfer. Kind of like the Ski Lodge, but a little different. Gotta have a look into the XML's on these to see what kind of editing will be necessary.
str8jakett
Engineer
Engineer

Post by str8jakett »

Excellent. I have downloaded but it's 3:40am so I will install it tomorrow. Thanks!
noofnoof
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by noofnoof »

Constructive criticism.

one of the frames in the sprites for the ERJ145 is out of order.

EDIT: and the construction years and passengers carried could be tweaked. for instance I don't think the 777 was invented in 1981, and I don't think the Fokker F100 carried 150 passengers.

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”