Windows 7 System Image

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Tattoo
Director
Director

Windows 7 System Image

Post by Tattoo »

I just re-installed Windows and found something that would help others and am passing this info on to you all. I have Windows 7 and just found out that I can create a system image of my C: drive now which I wasn't able to do with other versions of Windows. This is very helpful when making a lot of changes to the installed programs or games and is better then using recovery because recovery doesn't remove all the added registry entries created by the installed program that is being uninstalled or changed and with this, you can turn off recovery because it slows down your computer a bit when it's turned on. This is also good when adding or changing things in Locomotion. After you create a system image, you can totally screw up your objdata folder and use your sysytem image and get it all back. This is also helpful if you're like me and like to try out different programs using the trial versions. You can create a system image before installing the program like 3DS Max or Photoshop, and after 30 days just use the system image to put your computer back to how it was before installing Max and do it all over again.

This works best with 2 hard drives where you would keep the system image on the 2nd hard drive but it can be accomplished writing DVDs if you only have 1 hard drive. You might be able to use your C: drive for it. I have 2 hard drive and didn't try it so I don't know. Sorry. You can also have multiple system images but you have to keep them in separate folders because if you try to create a second image, it'll overwrite the first image.

To do this, you would go to Control Panel and select Backup and Restore. Then select Create a system image on the left like in the screen shot. After you select where you're going to save it, hit next then hit the Start Backup button. When it's done it'll ask if you want to create a System Repair Disk. I created one so I didn't have to take out my Windows 7 disk every time but it's up to you what you want to do. And the image size isn't huge. Mine is only 23.7 gig.

To restore your computer using this system image, you would reboot with the System Repair disk or you installation disk in the drive and select Restore system using the System image you created. It's easy to do. I've done it a few time already to see how it works.

I hope this helps someone out that has Windows 7 and didn't know about this like me. I've been waiting for Microsoft to make this available and they finally did it. Now you won't loose any of your stuff doing this and it's great to try new programs that you can't afford.

@Badger, I posted this here because it'll help out people that use mods with their game and want to back up their stuff but if you feel it should be somewhere else, I'm sorry that I didn't put it in the correct place.
Attachments
Create a system image-1.png
Create a system image-1.png (85.86 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
Create a system image-2.png
Create a system image-2.png (69.72 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
Create a system image-3.png
Create a system image-3.png (63.43 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
: : = FYRA v250 = : : = AU NSW 86 Class Electric Locomotive = : : = AU QR EDI Bombadier IMU/SMU Trainset = : : = B-Class & VicPass = : : = MSTS Scotsman = : : = US Semi Trucks Pack = : :
: : = Steel Bridge = : : = Tube Bridge = : : = 2 New Earth Slopes = : : = Default Bridges w/ New Slopes added = : : = Camera Angles for Shape Viewer = : : = EU Semi Trucks Pack = : : = US Tank Cars 56' = : :
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Windows 7 System Image

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Thanks for the info, but i think making a copy of your Objdata folder is more easier for the non-tech people :p.
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”