[REL] .dat crawler (datcrawler.panzerairlines.nl) V1.0.

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

.dat crawler great idea or bad idea?

Great idea
98%
Bad idea
2%

Total votes: 50

Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

[REL] .dat crawler (datcrawler.panzerairlines.nl) V1.0.

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Online now at: datcrawler.panzerairlines.nl

Well title says it all mostly but this is my idea;

I make a nice website thingy, with a database behind it. (Will make one anyways also a good way for me to learn more about php)

It will have the following information (could change)

Code: Select all

|| Filename || Description || Download location || Type ||
Filename: well, this oen is easy, it is the filename of the thing.
Description; sounds obvious
Download location: Link to topic/website/whatever. Where you can find it.
Type: Soundfile/Vehicle/track/bridge whatever.

I need to work the stuff out a bit more. But it would have basic information, and will be more a bit like a place to look for .dat files, wich are missing. (See for example my sticky in the FAQ section.)

My knowledge of php isnt that good, but i think i can pull this one out, offcourse i wont give any date or something about when its completed. One problem is though, the files need to be put in 1 by 1, so it could take some time to have a big database.

A beta would also be released

Things i need to think about:
Adding could be done by everyone (?)
Special made user accounts can change and remove.
Multiple filenames with same name.

Now offcourse is the question; does it sounds usefull, or is it another crappy idea i come up with?

- Your always friendly Illegal_Alien

Here is rough idea:
Attachments
Rough website look thingy.
Rough website look thingy.
datcrawler.png (17.27 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
Last edited by Illegal_Alien on 16 Nov 2009 17:49, edited 6 times in total.
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [DISCUSSION] .dat crawler thingy for Locomotion.

Post by rdrdrdrd »

that would be exelent, but also you should put in the ingame name too
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

So it would be something like this:

|| Filename || Ingame name || Description || Download location || Type ||
On the other hand i could remove download location, because this is just easier to find what it is, and then you can ask it here on the forum.
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

i think dl location is worthy to be on here, help with things way off site
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

I did do a rethink, i think the following would be appropriate:

|| ID || .dat filename || Name || Description ||  Type || Author || Download location || Original file || 
Now the question is; what to do with multiple download locations? Allow multiple copy of the same object?
Attachments
crawlerupdate.jpg
Updated version thingy
(59.7 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

hey IA, there is a beta dat crawler out that supports tons of sets now.

Maybe next week when I get time, I can get you a copy and see if maybe you could see a way to combine them.

It downloads thousands of dats and tools by most authors and then gives you options to install the sets or turn your loco back to virgin.
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
MizardX
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MizardX »

Illegal_Alien wrote:Now the question is; what to do with multiple download locations? Allow multiple copy of the same object?
You don't have to squeeze everything up in one page. A separate page for each item would be better, which could contain multiple download links.

From the main page, you could have a small icon linking to the first download-location, and some field linking to the item page.

If you have the time, you could let the user choose which columns to display on the main page.
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

I want to keep it simple. No 80 clicks to see something, just typ it in, hit the button and you have the results.
ashchetum
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ashchetum »

A better name would be in question if you ask me. Something like: Lomo Crawler or Locomotion Addon Crawler
Props to the devs of OpenTTD, you guys make magic!
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

.dat Crawler is fine, it says exactly what is does...
ashchetum
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ashchetum »

I suppose :/ I'm into fancy names. I always thought that .grf Crawler should have a different name.
Props to the devs of OpenTTD, you guys make magic!
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Hmm, wel, will start of with a simple version, needs to be filed by the community, but a well, better something then nothing...
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [WIP] .dat crawler thingy for Locomotion.

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Currently having a working "add object form".

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7896/blag.png *extreme size warning*
Attachments
bla2.png
bla2.png (105.22 KiB) Viewed 11329 times
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Hmm, seems to be not realy intresting this thing, as i see a crowd of people reacting.
Attachments
datworking.png
(167.08 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

release the add dat function and I will get to work on the German station packs, it is still a good idea

Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [REL] .dat crawler thingy for Locomotion. Alpha/Beta thingy.

Post by Illegal_Alien »

For the people who want to add the stuff, some parts are already working: http://datcrawler.panzerairlines.nl/objects_add.php *Need some finetune some stuff but that will be done soon(tm).

Tested on IE8 and Firefox 3.5

p.s.: Excuse me for some of the "funny"parts. Didnt want it to be a dull one.

edit ps you can see all the current available (a wopping 4) objects: http://datcrawler.panzerairlines.nl/allobjects.php

And a direct link: http://datcrawler.panzerairlines.nl/
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [REL] .dat crawler thingy for Locomotion. Alpha/Beta thingy.

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Ok everything seems to be workign so hereby Version 1.0 is official :D
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [REL] .dat crawler (datcrawler.panzerairlines.nl) V1.0.

Post by Drury »

Floating things :lol:
But why are "no obsoletion date semaphores" uploaded four times, why not just one...

Like this:

.dat filename: SIGSL, SIGS, SIGSD, SIGSDL
Last edited by Drury on 17 Nov 2009 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

I see, my world domination plan got copied :P
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Drury wrote:Floating things :lol:
But why are "no obsoletion date semaphores" uploaded four times, why not just one...

Like this:

.dat filename: SIGSL, SIGS, SIGSD, SIGSDL
Well, erm, i am a n00b in this kind of things, i am already happy enough that it works :P
eis_os wrote:I see, my world domination plan got copied :P
Ah, well beter a bad copy then a real copy isnt it?

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”