Statoil gas station

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

olahaldor
Engineer
Engineer

Statoil gas station

Post by olahaldor »

I modeled a Statoil gas station for a Battlefield 2 mod, but I can clearly see its use in, for instance, Locomotion. Make it an industry that needs goods (well, it SHOULD come from an oil refinery.. ;) ) to provide the surroundings with fuel.

Though, I have no idea how to make it to Locomotion. I've read a few threads about rendering sprites. Haven't tested that yet though, but that's not an issue for now. What I'd like to know is the whole scope and process of how to make the .DAT files.

The threads I've read are touching the issue, but not saying anything in particular HOW it's done, only that you need png files and an xml file.

Is it a simple .zip only renamed to .dat, or what? Some input would be nice.

Oh, and here's the statoil station for whoever's interested. Additionally I could add cars and trucks parked or fueling or something..
Attachments
Statoil gas station render
Statoil gas station render
Statoil gas station OpenGL view
Statoil gas station OpenGL view
rebirth
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Statoil gas station

Post by rebirth »

wow, that's really beautifull!! :bow:
Hammo
Director
Director

Post by Hammo »

You use the program called "locotool" to compile (or decompile) a .dat - decompiling and recompiling a few of the stock standard .dat files should show you how it's done. You can then also examine the sprites and xml generated.
Vemon3D
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vemon3D »

Damn right! Beautiful, and probably too advanced for Locomotion as that it looks way too realistic! You used Google SketchUp or Pro by any chance?

I'm looking forwarded to install that servo if you released them for Locomotion. Battlefield BC 2 as you mentioned? I didn't know people can make for mods for BC2, I have that game on PC :)
BRISBANE
new world city

Bored? Lets play way different scenario!
Rugged and rough coastline - very mountainous - very very very limited flat lands - interesting map - French / English fictional scenario -
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 63#p869963
olahaldor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by olahaldor »

Thank you guys. Really appreciate it! :)

There's a norwegian mod coming some time, and the guys in the lead of it asked on a 3D forum if someone wanted to participate. Do it in our spare time and take the time we need, since it's non-profit. Spent around a total of 5-6 hours on this one.

I use LightWave 3D. You've probably seen effects in TV series and movies done with it. The dancing robot commercials for Citroen, Babylon, Star Trek, you name it..
Vemon3D
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vemon3D »

Hmm, I never heard of Lightwave software. Ah, Norwegian mod pack? I wonder what it will be included, Norwegian row homes?
BRISBANE
new world city

Rugged and rough coastline - very mountainous - very very very limited flat lands - interesting map - French / English fictional scenario -
olahaldor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by olahaldor »

It will be norwegian kind of military personel, equipment and vehicles. You can read more about it here. http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f275-norwegian-forces

What? Not heard of LightWave? Hehe, it goes way back to the days of the Amiga! It's older than 3D Max and Maya is together. :bow: It's really a great tool.. Very intuitive and has a superb renderer out of the box. And a phenomenal modeling plug-in called LWCAD, which this gas station was built with. Check the LWCAD online manual to get an idea of possibilities.
Vemon3D
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vemon3D »

So, it will be classified as transport use? Like trains, not buildings?

Yes, I've never heard of Lightwave, and when I first saw that servo; I immediately thought it is from the basic Google SketchUp for some reasons, hmm - old-fashioned software :) I should try it but I'm not into some modding for Loco.
BRISBANE
new world city

olahaldor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by olahaldor »

LightWave is an old dog in this 3D game indeed. It's been used for loads of movies, games and TV series, including Avatar, Battlestar Galactica, Ghost Whisperer, god only knows what it's NOT been used for. :) But that's not important really. The important thing is that it's a great tool that's used in a lot of different situations. Some prefer to model in LightWave, animate in Maya and then render in LightWave. Others do modeling and bring it over to say, Houdini or XSI and use some other render engine like Pixar Renderman. :) Flexible!

LightWave is all about features for a little less than a seat of 3D Max or Maya. Very many seems to think "oh, I must use what they use in the big block buster movies, cause then I can be as good as them" :roll:

I'm not really going nuts on this Locomotion mod thing, I just thought it would be cool to add another structure to the game and make it look good, and have a functionality, like serving people with goods provided from oil refineries. :)

Oh btw, the gas station will of course be a structure in the game. ;) Along with other custom built, typical norwegian houses and huts.
Hammo
Director
Director

Post by Hammo »

I can see this as an industry which...

Accepts:
Oil (or petrol, if we have/mod a refinery)

Produces:
Goods, Candy Bars, Week-old hotdogs.
Opan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Opan »

I know Plastikman was talking a while back about doing a petrol system,
Oil--> Refinery Produces Petrol/Gas --> Gas Stations

Gas stations should be buildings that accept petrol similar to the car dealerships in the auto mod.
plzcoke
Engineer
Engineer

Post by plzcoke »

olahaldor wrote:I modeled a Statoil gas station for a Battlefield 2 mod, but I can clearly see its use in, for instance, Locomotion. Make it an industry that needs goods (well, it SHOULD come from an oil refinery.. ;) ) to provide the surroundings with fuel.

Though, I have no idea how to make it to Locomotion. I've read a few threads about rendering sprites. Haven't tested that yet though, but that's not an issue for now. What I'd like to know is the whole scope and process of how to make the .DAT files.

The threads I've read are touching the issue, but not saying anything in particular HOW it's done, only that you need png files and an xml file.

Is it a simple .zip only renamed to .dat, or what? Some input would be nice.

Oh, and here's the statoil station for whoever's interested. Additionally I could add cars and trucks parked or fueling or something..
I Think are Require Oil to Production a Goods(A Benzine. Diesel.)
Chris Sawyer Locomotion are not Dead!

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”