[Rel] VIA Rail Pack. 2.1

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: VIA AMD103's and Blue fleet

Post by Plastikman »

iworks wrote:While not 100% certain, I don't believe VIA ever owned any AMD103 units, although it's possible they may have leased a few from Amtrak a couple of years ago, as far as I know, the P42's are the only units they have purchased in numbers since the F40PH-2's.
Ok, it was my understanding the AMD103 was built for VIA, then Amtrash said "Hey! we want some of those."It looks like VIA never bought any. Amtrak now only runs the P42's and P32AC-DM (dual mode with a 3rd rail pick up) Genesis having taken the P40's out of service when the P42's arrived a few years later.

iworks wrote:
See http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 833&nseq=4 for a pic of a few standard blue coaches.

As far as years that VIA began running certain equipment

All carbody locos (F-units) were inherited I believe between 1976-78 when VIA was formed (first as a passenger subsidiary of government owned CN, CP passenger operations were absorbed shortly after), also the entire blue fleet and I believe most of the stainless steel fleet (including Budd RDCs) was also inherited at this time (I don't know about the ex-Amtrak equipment).

Everything else was put into operation shortly after being built, so all equipment built after 1978 would have gone into operation around the same time of building. All the F40PH-2's were bought new, as was the LRC and TURBO fleet (VIA actually didn't own the TURBO's, I believe United Aircraft owned them and provided VIA with 3 demo trainsets to test), as well as the newer late 1990, early 2000 Ren. fleets.

Ok that was what i assumed.

Those blue Coaches are a bit ugly. I can repaint the stainless coaches to match, did they have baggage or any other cars besides coach in the set?

The turbos were owned by CN and were hand-me-downs. I recall seeing early pictures of the VIA Turbos in VIA paint with a CN logo on the nose.
Wiki wrote:In May 1966 Canadian National Railways ordered five TurboTrains of seven cars each for the Montreal-Toronto service. They originally planned to operate these trains in tandem, connecting two trains together into a larger fourteen-car arrangement with a total capacity of 644 passengers. While the trains were being built they changed their plans, and in 1971 a rebuild program was put into effect, converting the five seven-car sets to three nine-car sets. The leftover power and passenger cars were sold to Amtrak as two 4-car sets. One of those sets sideswiped a freight train on a test run in 1973 and burned up before delivery. The Canadian trains were built by Montreal Locomotive Works, with their ST-6 engines supplied by UAC's Canadian division (now Pratt & Whitney Canada) "
iworks wrote: By the way, if you want to bolster this pack, you may consider doing CPR and CNR paint schemes as well to include in the pack.
There is some CN and BC passenger equipment in the PreAmtrak/Metro pack and it is still slowly growing to include more Canadian stuff.

I rather keep the packs sepperate for now. maybe one day it will just be one big pack. The main reason the packs were sepperate was the date styles. most of my stuff runs by build dates(metra and metrolink being the exceptions), and i let you pick any livery that owned it even if it is the wrong year, the amtrak and Via sets go by years the livery owned it.

1971 was the death of passenger trains in the US that were not local metro service and the birth of amtrak I assume that is true in canada in 1978 with VIA.
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
iworks
Engineer
Engineer

VIA Blue

Post by iworks »

Yes, the blue fleet came in all varieties, club cars, sleepers, diners, club cars, cafe cars, steam generator cars etc. They weren't all that different on the outside though, that website where I pulled that image of the blue coaches http://www.railpictures.net would probably be a good source for most all things VIA.

On the AMD103's, I couldn't tell you. My only real source asserts the P42 as the only recent locomotive purchase and doesn't make any mention of the AMD103's.

Yes, with the exception of the Quebec-Windsor corridor, passenger trains died here as well, albeit maybe a bit more slowly. The transcontinental service still exists, although it's been reduced to three-trains weekly (I believe). Since the early 1990's, it has also run on CN track instead of CPR track, so in effect, the "Canadian" (originally a CPR train) is running on the same route as the "Super Continental", a retired name given to the CN transcontinental train. Since there are many remote communities, VIA is also federally mandated to provide service to these areas as road access is either unavailable, poor or seasonal, so while little towns and villages recieve VIA service, many of Canada's smaller cities haven't seen a passenger train since CP and CN ran them.

As for those TURBO's, I know very little about them. All I've got is my Trains magazine that say 21 coaches and 6 locomotives, your resources are probably a little more complete with information.
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Aw, man is this stuff beautiful. Plastikman, you always seem to do great work for LoMo, and I congratulate you for that!

Top work pal!
Without Trains America Stops

iworks
Engineer
Engineer

Release?

Post by iworks »

So, any idea as to when this pack will be released then? Are you still looking for more content?
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Asking for a releasedate is usualy not-done.
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Train-a-Mania
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Train-a-Mania »

It is done (asked) - but people hate to be asked it.

I'm glad to see this taking shape.

P.S. The LRCs have all been retired (locomotive wise, but the cars are still used).
Nick - Creator of the virtual railroading review series:

Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

it is coming along. I have been a little busy in real life and trying my hand at 3d modeling. all of the set's sprites are made.

the Blue and the REN coaches are made. all that is left now is XML code tweaking and beta testing. also maybe makng the FPA's Maybe i can get some screen shot in a few days of this.

If i had to guess it is 90% done. I would like to have this out "maybe" next weekend along with the 2.x patch for all 2.x sets..
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

doublepostage..

Via Coaches In Blue and Renissance.

almost done.... just working the sounds into the XML
Attachments
VIA Blue and Ren.PNG
VIA Blue and Ren.PNG (65.34 KiB) Viewed 4907 times
Train-a-Mania
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Train-a-Mania »

It looks great. I can't wait to try it all out.

Jf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jf »

Reealy great... it look like the real ones, nice work !
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [WIP] VIA Rail Pack.

Post by Plastikman »

ugh, i know i said i would have this out today, it is finnished i think, i just have not had time to package it up or make a read-me.

I have a bunch of new US set stuff ready and a hotfix for the boxcars and tanksers ready, I'll probably jsut make one installer for all with options like some of the other 2.x sets.. so hang on there for a little longer.
ssbn742
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ssbn742 »

strange, I had forgot about lomo till I read this thing again, I'll have to start playing lomo again now, >.<
I am a furry, dont like it? Kiss my soft furry tail!
Oh! And dont be a hater because of it...
SLIPKNOT POWER! MAGGOT FOR LIFE!
Last edited by ssbn742 on Thursday January 18, 2576 12:26 am from the orbiting Abaddon Class Battleship "Wait And Bleed"; edited 3 times in total
OC_4106
Engineer
Engineer

Re:

Post by OC_4106 »

Plastikman wrote:doublepostage..

Via Coaches In Blue and Renissance.

almost done.... just working the sounds into the XML
I saw some of those yesterday! That's so cool! I will upload pictures when I get around to it.

EDIT:
Not my image, taken from here.

This is a rebuilt F40PH and so far only 6400 has been rebuilt. Apparently VIA Rail is going to rebuild a LRC Coach and that will be in the Renissance Livery. Rumour has it one has already been rebuilt but I have yet to see a photo of it.

Also a friend of mine took a picture of a Renissance car that VIA converted to a baggage car, unfortonitly it's not on this computer.

EDIT: Found the Renissance Baggage car that was a passenger car.

According to this site, VIA Rail desided to convert some of those sleepers that they had into dinning cars and baggage cars. I think they made the right desision on this because if I remember correctly, most of those Renissance cars when we got them were sleepers.

Got this pic & info from here.

Pretty interesting eh?
Train-a-Mania
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Train-a-Mania »

One thing to note (if it hasn't been already) is that although the locomotives have the standard US knuckle couplers, the cars have European couplers. The baggage car has two different types of couplers to make it work.

Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

Train-a-Mania wrote:One thing to note (if it hasn't been already) is that although the locomotives have the standard US knuckle couplers, the cars have European couplers. The baggage car has two different types of couplers to make it work.
that must make for a mess in the yards and shifting equipment. why would any mainline north american railroad not have standardized equpment?
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Plastikman, In a word, because they were cheap... At least, they were supposed to be...

Love that F40PH in Renaissance, been waiting for that.
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

so cool.. thats the first time I have seen that Via F40..
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

That is a nice paintjob on her. Maybe it is good thing i had not yet released this pack ~wink~ (hint at evil top secret plans :twisted: ) it is ashame it is so new that i cant find any more photos of her.
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

Well, Working with just the one photo posted. I made a usable F40ph-2 in Renaissance colors untill i get something better to work with. I looked around the web for other photos of it and could not find any. I can't tell the roof colors or the backside. I just assumed it was similar to the P42 paintjob and followed that as an example.

So if it is not 100% correct and you dont like it.. lol dont use it :wink:
Attachments
MSTS version Photoskined off the photo bellow.
MSTS version Photoskined off the photo bellow.
VIA6400_msts.jpg (19.05 KiB) Viewed 4424 times
In lomo
In lomo
VIA6400_Lomo.PNG (27.16 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
VIA's new toy...
VIA's new toy...
VIA6400_real.jpg (79.1 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
OC_4106
Engineer
Engineer

Post by OC_4106 »

Plastikman wrote:Well, Working with just the one photo posted. I made a usable F40ph-2 in Renaissance colors untill i get something better to work with. I looked around the web for other photos of it and could not find any. I can't tell the roof colors or the backside. I just assumed it was similar to the P42 paintjob and followed that as an example.

So if it is not 100% correct and you dont like it.. lol dont use it :wink:
That is great! I could of gotten more photos or better yet, videos if you wanted as there are lots of youtube videos on this locomotive. But you did a great job! It's best to search "VIA 6400" as that turns out the most results I found.

Google Search: VIA 6400

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”