Some Mod ideas and how to accomplish them.

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Tacbuir
Engineer
Engineer

Some Mod ideas and how to accomplish them.

Post by Tacbuir »

Hello all.
I have a few ideas/ questions about some mod concepts, and how I can accomplish them (I'd prefer to the modding myself for the experience.) I also have some general questions about some other things. Each one of the questions is expanded upon below the list.

Q1. Is it possible to create more catenary types and styles?
Q2. I'm looking on making a new style of signal (Individual Mast, gantry, dwarf, etc.) How does one go about this and is the type possible?
Q3. Custom Objects for a new region as well as some locomotives.
Q4. How Limited is narrow gauge?

First some background. I come from the northeast area of the United States. That being said, there is railroad stuff everywhere. Thus I am a bit of a fanboy for the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Reading Railroad. The majority of the content of the questions relates to these two railroads.

Q1. Is it possible to create more catenary types and styles?
To be honest, I don't like the default style of locomotion catenaries. They are representative for Europe and the UK, but not for the United States. Many of the Catenaries in the United States stem from the 1930's or earlier. Therefore, I desire to create catenaries that look better for the US trains. Here are some examples.

Pennsylvania Railroad:
http://www.billspennsyphotos.com/photos ... 42%20b.jpg

Reading Railroad:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5215/5447 ... a823_z.jpg

Based on some experience in Locomotion (The one sided station, and some observations,) four track combinations could be possible with two different types of catenary; one being the type for the outer tracks, and the other being the type for the inner tracks. Is this concept (as a whole) even possible?

Q2. I'm looking on making a new style of signal (Individual Mast, gantry, dwarf, etc.) How does one go about this and is the type possible?
Both the Pennsylvannia and the Reading Railroads used unique signal types.

The Pennsylvania used the Position Light Signal:
http://www.railroadsignals.us/signals/pl/pl.htm (This is a bit comprehensive, but a great overview)

The Reading used the tri light signal
http://www.railroadsignals.us/signals/t ... /index.htm

I have seen previously through the use of mod packs that other signals can be created. My question is it possible to create these signals, given their display aspects are somewhat different than some conventional signals? If so, how does one do it.

Q3. Custom Objects for a new region as well as some locomotives.
I recently returned from a month long trip to Japan. Obsessing over Japanese trains, I downloaded the ones I could find, and set up a region using the British one as a base (I needed left hand drive vehicles.) My desire however, is to create a Japanese region, with trains, some structures, and Japanese town names. How does one accomplish this?
Attached to this though is locomotive construction. Going back to America, I currently have Plastikman's very large locomotive collection. However, I desire to add more Pennsylvania and Reading Steam locomotives (and maybe some electrics.) How does one accomplish this?

Q4. How Limited is narrow gauge?
Digging through the forums sometimes for mods and other things, I've come across the notion that Locomotion's narrow gauge is limited in its modding capabilities. Is this true, as I have several narrow gauge short lines I'd love to make.

That's all for now. I'm sorry for the length...
Please let me know if the links don't work so I can fix them.
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Some Mod ideas and how to accomplish them.

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious »

Welcome to the forums !

That's quite a list you show here...Most logical question is of course, how much spare time do you have ?

Modding takes a lot of time and practice, and even if you do manage to get around it's a long way to go. I suggest that you start with something small, a signal, a house or even with small trains. Some stuff that you mention can already be found here on the forums like some US stuff. Most of the US stuff can be found on AMI trains, including some signals in US style like gantries and lots of trains from the US and other regions as well.

Walter1940, one of the members of this forum has a few nice tutorials on his website which descibes the basics of train-converting from MSTS to locomotion and there is a tutorial here on the forums for people who would like to create there own things with 3D programs. I was never good in working with 3D parts, however I did manage to create a few mods and some trains. XML-modding is more like my terrain...

I would like to create more things myself as well, but with a wife, 2 kids and a job I simply do not have the time for it.

Probably you also culd try to contact Plastikman, because he has made a few mods as well and most of the US trains are converted by him. On the other hand, Plastikman is not been seen on the forums for quite some time. But Zimmlock and Tattoo also know a lot about creating stuff for the game, so you could approach them as well...

So I wish you luck and fun with all of the plans that you have...and I hope that things will get done.

Regards,

Erik
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Best way to make new catenaries is to look how the current ones are made and redesign them.
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
OpenRailer90
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by OpenRailer90 »

^ Maybe put new gantries like these:

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”