[REL]US SET : Current is MegaPack 1.1.2 May/19/11

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

mmarvelstrain
Director
Director

Re: [REL]US SET : Current is MegaPack 1.1.2 May/19/11

Post by mmarvelstrain »

Plastikman wrote:
mmarvelstrain wrote:Is TEH the Tehachapi something something?
Yes. TEH or Tehachapi .. a mouth full there... has a huge mountain of unique toys.
new cargos, mods, vehicles, buildings, stations.. many have fallen into the wild or been released elsewhere. but I'd like to hold onto a handful of goods so the map really POP's when released.

I know its years late.. but time has been really challenging.. that and I have the attention span of a squirrel. I keep switching projects.
To make it worse, in a few weeks I leave for Western Europe for 4-6 months. and before that, ill be traveling in the US... maybe..
Busy man, hope you have fun in your travels. I do recall some stuff a while back saying is was supposed to be for that. Wasn't bluebeetle making the map? I recall he made a lot of great american maps. Is there something holding up the project?
Locomotion is kool with a capital k TM
Look what I Made (Name That Plane)
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=41042
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

Fix. The. Niagara. 6,000HP is too much.

Hopefully with the new year we can see TEH released, locomotion's swan song IMO.
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

rdrdrdrd wrote:Fix. The. Niagara. 6,000HP is too much.

Hopefully with the new year we can see TEH released, locomotion's swan song IMO.
Actually.. funny you said that. If you look at the updates and patches page. it was already fixed... along with the unbreakable steamers and some other bug fixes.. plus some new items.

There are many more bug fixes to come..

I'm working with zimmy on the Soldier Summit II map. same landscape (mostly) but new toys thrown onto it serpent style.
in an all in one pack with autmod3 in it.

After that.. i want to get feather river done.. that one wont take to long...

TEH.. yeah.. we'll see... I plan on being in Europe though June or July. so i might not have a ton of time from when I leave until then..

EDIT

PS thanks for the reminder though.. any others that you can think of would be great.. I'd like to release a full repack of the mega pack if there are enough updates..
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Also, did the UP Class actually have as much horsepower as this version has been given?
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

LocoRoller wrote:Also, did the UP Class actually have as much horsepower as this version has been given?
Yes and No.. It depends on its speed...

There is a huge difference in physics between a Steam Locomotive and a Diesel locomotive in real life.

A diesel locomotive is Constant HP with Variable Torque machine. A geep7 (or F7) is always 1500HP at its entire effective speed range.
A Diesel Has extremely high torque at stall conditions. Like from a dead start for example.
It can just put more amps into the traction motors. this gives it extremely high torque (Tractive Effort) to get it moving from a dead stop. of course there is still the drawbar pull limit where it wont move no matter what your TE is.

The steam locomotive is the exact opposite due to the way the steam pistons, side rods and the crank pin works.
It is a constant Torque (Tractive Effort), Variable Horse Power machine.
A Steam Locomotive has poor HP at start up and the faster if goes, the more theoretical HP it gains.
Once a steam engine can brute force a train to start with Just its Tractive Effort, it starts to gain HP to move the train up to basically unlimited speed. this is really limited by how big the balls are on the engineer (and at what point the Steam Engine will start to break apart or derail).

So yes. a locomotive Like The Niagara CAN generate 6000HP once it is rolling at speed.(and is rated at 6000HP at speed. BUT.. it is a small fraction of that at start-up).. That is way over powered for locomotion. (funny that it is close to a big boys theoretical 7000HP. but, the BB has much higher TE).

Stream Engines in the world of "steam engineers" tend to be rated on Tractive Effort and Drawbar Pull, not HP since its variable. (modern people quote steamers in HP because most people don't understand TE and the formula to get there and how to compare it to a diesel [especially since we mentioned diesel locomotives are variable TE]). the game is clueless what that TE is. only HP [that is not coded correctly on a hill sprite in the game]. I have nerfed all the other steam engines to try and make them fit into the game (as did Chris Sayer if you look at his Steamer stats with the real counterpart). Basically, I take a guess of how it should perform in locomotion.
The niagara was one that got away from me from the beta days when we created the steamers for locomotion.

(this is one reason my NG steamers never were released. the hill sprite "single unit" weight + total weight + HP calculation issue. A NG steamer will stall and then slide down the hill when given correct stats even without any cars in tow... )

once you throw boiler size, steam pressure and driver diameter into the mix.. it is a nightmare..

I'm not trying to overwhelm you. I am just pointing out the game is quite stupid when it comes to steamers.. its all an educated guess.. that i often miss guess..

Edit:
As pointed out by SD89Mac.. a Niagara could outperform an E7 A-B-A set. but the back end costs were much greater in the end....
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Plastikman wrote:I'm not trying to overwhelm you. I am just pointing out the game is quite stupid when it comes to steamers.. its all an educated guess.. that i often miss guess..
Consider me overwhelmed.

That's fascinating, actually. Never knew that.
Last edited by Zakos on 23 Jan 2013 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

LTD3 has had an overhaul.. new version released..
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

LocoRoller wrote:
Plastikman wrote:I'm not trying to overwhelm you. I am just pointing out the game is quite stupid when it comes to steamers.. its all an educated guess.. that i often miss guess../quote]
Consider me overwhelmed.

That's fascinating, actually. Never knew that.
This is effectively why a diesel can pretty much just start so fast and just go (minus the time to take out the train slack and not break anything).. VS. a steamer struggle and struggle for a long time to get moving.....

it takes skill to not slip the wheels and get moving in both cases...
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

Plastikman wrote:
rdrdrdrd wrote:Fix. The. Niagara. 6,000HP is too much.

snip

PS thanks for the reminder though.. any others that you can think of would be great.. I'd like to release a full repack of the mega pack if there are enough updates..
Finally :P

Idr if this was fixed but there was a gap where the gantry signals were unavailible.
Besides the issues of not being able to carry wood chips in the early years of the game, plastics having to wait as well (kinda of makes sense, you already said it would be fixed), not many bugs.
Did you ever get around to re purposing the old GG1 as an R-1? Oh and there's always the issue with there not being a T-1 but oh well :wink: .
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

rdrdrdrd wrote: Idr if this was fixed but there was a gap where the gantry signals were unavailible.
I did not know that. I'll find out soon in my game..
rdrdrdrd wrote: Besides the issues of not being able to carry wood chips in the early years of the game, plastics having to wait as well
Plastics was fixed already.. you can start hauling them in the 30's in the "grain boxcars".. not realistic.. but whatever.. before that. there really was no plastics industry. it was really WW2 that boomed it.
Wood chips.. hrmm.. yeah idk.. you can mod the sugarbeet hoppers for now if you need them.. they look close enough..
I dont even know what an old woodchip car looks like.

rdrdrdrd wrote: Did you ever get around to re purposing the old GG1 as an R-1? Oh and there's always the issue with there not being a T-1 but oh well :wink: .
there was only 1 R1 to my knowledge. i am not to worried about a 1 off.
T-1... well now that we figured out how to make a big boy with minimal clipping.. it might happen.. maybe it might make it into serpent reloaded..
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

Plastikman wrote:
rdrdrdrd wrote: Idr if this was fixed but there was a gap where the gantry signals were unavailible.
I did not know that. I'll find out soon in my game..
rdrdrdrd wrote: Besides the issues of not being able to carry wood chips in the early years of the game, plastics having to wait as well
Plastics was fixed already.. you can start hauling them in the 30's in the "grain boxcars".. not realistic.. but whatever.. before that. there really was no plastics industry. it was really WW2 that boomed it.
Wood chips.. hrmm.. yeah idk.. you can mod the sugarbeet hoppers for now if you need them.. they look close enough..
I dont even know what an old woodchip car looks like.

rdrdrdrd wrote: Did you ever get around to re purposing the old GG1 as an R-1? Oh and there's always the issue with there not being a T-1 but oh well :wink: .
there was only 1 R1 to my knowledge. i am not to worried about a 1 off.
T-1... well now that we figured out how to make a big boy with minimal clipping.. it might happen.. maybe it might make it into serpent reloaded..
I would imagine they would just be loaded into gondolas, And that is a perfect fix for plastics.

Well if not the R-1 the P-5, there were almost 100 of them, and it would just require a quick .dat edit, the graphics are good for place holding. Just some ideas for quick additions.

The issue with the T-1 was always the lack of any good model, I found some hobbyist blueprints however and have been thinking about trying to crank one out recently.
Attachments
IMAG0216.jpg
(888.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMAG0217.jpg
(906.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMAG0218.jpg
(640.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

Well, we do have P5a's in the pack already :P

I know you meant the rebuilds to make them look like GG1's the "P5a (modified) steeplecabs"
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

of course :P

Loconoob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Loconoob »

There were also quite a bit of clippy loco's in the SD-40 and later GE area of the sets, not that it matters much, but they seemed to be mis colored at some rotations, and maybe to sharp, IDK... But don't mind my complaining, I'm happy your still around and working on new stuff :)
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I've got no other criticisms, except that my installer wasn't allowing me to access some of the related packs.
Opan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Opan »

A thought for the future;

Perhaps an RS2 and SW1200 in the old burgundy Canadian Pacific liveries? I know I'm sounding a bit picky, but personally I prefer the older colours that they adopted from the Jubilee locomotives. Although I can settle for the newer colours, I wont be upset if they get made :wink:.
I'm not 100% percent sure when they made the official switch to the red and white colours (and correct me if I'm wrong) but I'm assuming it was in the late 60s to early 70s.
SD89MAC
Director
Director

Post by SD89MAC »

Opan wrote:A thought for the future;

Perhaps an RS2 and SW1200 in the old burgundy Canadian Pacific liveries? I know I'm sounding a bit picky, but personally I prefer the older colours that they adopted from the Jubilee locomotives. Although I can settle for the newer colours, I wont be upset if they get made :wink:.
I'm not 100% percent sure when they made the official switch to the red and white colours (and correct me if I'm wrong) but I'm assuming it was in the late 60s to early 70s.
Would be around 1968, since that was when they changed their colour scheme to Action Red.
Image - Winner of the 2010 - Best New User Award (Locomotion Forum)
Trainman888
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trainman888 »

Plastic have you thought about putting the Norfolk Southern heritage units in the US Pack?
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

LocoRoller wrote:I've got no other criticisms, except that my installer wasn't allowing me to access some of the related packs.
you need to download them first..
Opan wrote:A thought for the future;

Not sure why, I thought we did have an RS2 or RS3 in older CP colors..

Trainman888 wrote:Plastic have you thought about putting the Norfolk Southern heritage units in the US Pack?
Yes, I even made the first few when they first came out.. but now I don't see the point. I can use my limited time to make other things..
L.A. Noire Fan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by L.A. Noire Fan »

LJS made the heritage units and has them on his pytalhost page. Go check it out! :D

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”