Is a "Buy Land" option possible?

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

JTanczos
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Is a "Buy Land" option possible?

Post by JTanczos »

I like to play single player sandbox games and the cities are destroying my farm land. Is it possible to make a 1 tile lot similar to TTD to buy land so they dont mess up all my farms. It seems they destroyed my grain farms, live stock and I spent 20 million on a lumber extension to my tracks and the damn city reduced my lumber to 50tons a month. I got angry and destroyed a row of buildings before the town got pissed at me.

Anyone know anything?

JT
PurdueGuy
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PurdueGuy »

A way around this right now is to place track on land, but you'd have to be sure if you do an attempt to block a growing city that you don't allow road crossings.

I too would be very interested in a land purchase mod. It'd be really nice if there were a way to buy land and not destroy what is on it (like farmland). That's probably way more than I could expect from a mod, though. Even a simple empty lot with a sign on it like in TTD would be a great help, though.
ampz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ampz »

Does removing farmland/forests really decrease the production?
squishycube
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by squishycube »

Yes it does.
Look at farms or forests close to cities. As the city expands, the production becomes lower and lower
I heard the stories that they tell of how they labored for this company which sold it's soul to hell

It's my alter ego in my avatar, not me!
Loewe13
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Loewe13 »

it does, for example, place 6 managed forests on a little iland you made in the editor and then start the game, even if you transport everything of the island, about 2 of the 6 will have about 200 units the other 4 will be at 50-80 units lumber! and thats the fact why when im making a scenario, the industries will be placed away from the cities and other industries which extend their land. Only then, the grain, lumber, livestock and grapes industries will always ne delivering the same amount of units.
JTanczos
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JTanczos »

I did place them far away from cities. But when you think about it ALL industries are far away from cities in 1900 cause they only have less than 1000 people and are 30+ tiles apart. By 2000 the small towns are metropolises with 60,000 all growing into each other swallowing everything in their paths.

What I have been doing (but its pretty much a lost cause for most of my farms at this point) is creating a track 1 tile off the ground so they cant build under it. It seems to stop them but ide still love a buy land tool.

Wish passengers wernt the best money maker in the game or ide only put 10 cities on the entire map. I love making vast transporting routes with everything but passenger trains. Then when I feel more up to it I make a massive underground 1 way subway around the entire map and run 20 trains on that alone.

JT
ampz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ampz »

It should be quite possible to add a "buy land" feature.
Each object has a "clearance" height... The "buy land" object should have maximum clerance so that no one is allowed to build bridges above it.
Comrade_sanchez
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Comrade_sanchez »

The City growth factor is annoying, especialy when you like doing the timber runs.
Ampz idea about the maximum clearence would be useful because you could own the air above your own tracks therefore stopping the a.i building rollecoasters over the top of your perfect looking tracks.
Tho it might cause problems with the routes the planes take?

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”