Bigger stations

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Chico
Engineer
Engineer

Bigger stations

Post by Chico »

Hi,

I have been reading this forum for a long time, but I never posted anything before. First, I would like to thanks all the people who have brought many great improvements to TTD and locomotion.

Now my question : It seems that you can only build a limited number of platforms for a station before you have a "station too spread" message. Is it possible to change that number ? Or is there a chance to see a mod one day ?
ampz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ampz »

I think such a patch would be bad for gameplay.
You are not supposed to be able to build stations with unlimited catchment area...
LaDoncella
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by LaDoncella »

:lol: I can imagine it, a planetary sized station :wink: :roll:
4Eyessniper
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 4Eyessniper »

I agree, too large isnt good!

I wish there were some more shapes and types of stations though, so they could look more like this station in amsterdam sloterdijk:

http://www.nlr.nl/public/facilities/f083/2713-m4.jpg

(Yes it is a model, but it's a real station as well)

Or Duivendrecht (crappy resolution photo, but you'll get the point :P)
http://www.stationsweb.nl/duivendrecht/afb4.jpg
Loewe13
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Loewe13 »

the monorail mod im building will include an own stationtype because its lifted above the ground, the normal station would look ugly when using this kind of railway. but i make it compatible with the normal stations so that you can make "normal, monorail, normal, monorail, normal" or such combinations ;-)

but the pictures you have attached are already possible just make a track which is 10 meters or 16 foot higher than the other track and you can make vertical stations
Chico
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Chico »

I don't mind having a greater catchment area. I would like to make 10x8 stations, with one subway station. I try to recreate some places that exist in real life.
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

I think it needs to be 32ft, if I'm not mistaken ;)
Vimp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vimp »

Chico wrote:I don't mind having a greater catchment area. I would like to make 10x8 stations, with one subway station. I try to recreate some places that exist in real life.
Is that the limit for you? I have 2 stations that are 20x2. Can you not have 20x8?
TheDaian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheDaian »

Vimp wrote:
Chico wrote:I don't mind having a greater catchment area. I would like to make 10x8 stations, with one subway station. I try to recreate some places that exist in real life.
Is that the limit for you? I have 2 stations that are 20x2. Can you not have 20x8?
10x8 = 80 tiles.
20x2 = 40 tiles.

i'm not all too sure what the limit actually is, though. i think a good bit of it is the actual catchment area. you might be able to build a 20x8 station, if they're all side by side platforms. but building a 20x3 station, then trying to build.. say, a 20x2 station at a right angle to that will cause a problem, as it would then spread out to about 20x20.
JTanczos
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JTanczos »

I wouldnt use it for unlimited catchment area but I do play in sandbox mode where I have my own steel mill. I have every iron ore and coal train on the map run to it on parrellel tracks. Also named a food processing plant after my GF which is near it so I run grain and livestock to that station as well. I tell her it does breakfast products and donuts. LOL She thinks im nuts. Problem I have is getting the supplies there without having steel and food trains cloggin everything up. This unfortunitly happens quite a bit.

Would love to have 2 layers of stations similar to the pics above. Have all the goods trains on top and all the supply trains on bottom.

If someone could make a mod that would be great. If used to cheat it will just ruin their own gaming experience. Just cause the no breakdown and unlimited money mods are out doesnt mean you have to use em.

JT
TheDaian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheDaian »

Jtanczos wrote:Would love to have 2 layers of stations similar to the pics above. Have all the goods trains on top and all the supply trains on bottom.
you can do that now. sorta. as far as i know, stations can be built UP or DOWN as much as you want. it's just a matter of how much money you have and how much of a mess you want the station to be. (building multi-level stations will cause the problem of it being very hard to see the lower station)
JTanczos
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JTanczos »

TheDaian wrote:
Jtanczos wrote:Would love to have 2 layers of stations similar to the pics above. Have all the goods trains on top and all the supply trains on bottom.
you can do that now. sorta. as far as i know, stations can be built UP or DOWN as much as you want. it's just a matter of how much money you have and how much of a mess you want the station to be. (building multi-level stations will cause the problem of it being very hard to see the lower station)
well... I would do something that ended up looking like a +. If I could make a bigger station I would just have dedicated lines for pickup and lines for drop off. Im not worried about "station too spread out" even, im having a problem with "Station is too large"

*edit* Attachec pic

JT
Attachments
Screenshot1.JPG
Screenshot1.JPG (109.85 KiB) Viewed 13326 times
fsdave
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by fsdave »

Should be able to have curved stations :(
Loewe13
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Loewe13 »

Im doing it often in a way, you could see easier when you look at a screenshot I made some seconds ago, it shows how easy multilevel stations can be made and used. on the left is the grain and livestock delivery and the 2 tracks for the food transport from the food processong plant into the city, which you can see in the middle and right very high is a 3 track station for passenger and mail transport not very cheap, but its worth it.
Attachments
Screenshot9.JPG
Screenshot9.JPG (58.69 KiB) Viewed 13298 times
Tyrell
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tyrell »

limits so far as I understand them:

Station tiles/units: 80 (hard limit)

Station length: no direct hard limit.
- 20x1 station can be created without using side tracks.
- 33x1 station can be created, but takes a lot of click work (unpractically)

Station capture area: no direct hard limit.
- single station tiles can be positioned a pritty long way away from the main station.

Train length: 33 ground tiles.
(you can create longer trains, but you can't put them on the tracks)
Attachments
33x1 station
33x1 station
Longstation.PNG (45.47 KiB) Viewed 12253 times
Singaporekid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Singaporekid »

Try decoding trstat4.dat, it has horizontal and vertical graphics for the city station
<+Raichase> ugh, I just ate some of my beard D:
norfolksouthern37
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by norfolksouthern37 »

singaporekid_92 wrote:Try decoding trstat4.dat, it has horizontal and vertical graphics for the city station
whats your point kid?

all of them do except 2
Tyrell
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tyrell »

hola, graphics for diagonal stations. (map diagonals)
To bad they don't work yet.
Meaby next thing is curved stations ;)
JTanczos
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JTanczos »

So anyone find out if there is any way to increase the station size? I really want to extend the length of my priority stations so I can have longer but fewer amount of trains running. which would probably help my congestion problem around those stations
fsdave
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by fsdave »

Do your trains actually get full?

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”