How to couple Trams together?

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

blackfour
Engineer
Engineer

How to couple Trams together?

Post by blackfour »

Hi, i was wondering, as the title suggests, if there's any way to couple the Trams together? I know that, in America, Interurban Railways used to use trams coupled in 2's/3's to form trains, and i thought that the first tram would be perfect for this purpose...any ideas anyone?
Tom
DarkMatter
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DarkMatter »

As much as I would like to do that too, I canna even figure out how to get the tanker trailer to attach to another truck.
Halalko
Engineer
Engineer

Re: How to couple Trams together?

Post by Halalko »

blackfour wrote:Hi, i was wondering, as the title suggests, if there's any way to couple the Trams together? I know that, in America, Interurban Railways used to use trams coupled in 2's/3's to form trains, and i thought that the first tram would be perfect for this purpose...any ideas anyone?
Tom
[if (you_are_into_mod'ing)]
Set bit_B in the flags structure to 0(or simple delete the line), and it will allow to couple them ;)
[else]
Yes, it's possible, but only with a mod of the tram dat files :)
Andreas "Halalko" Møller
DarkMatter
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DarkMatter »

Hmm...might you know what specifies if a vehicle can have a trailer?
blackfour
Engineer
Engineer

Post by blackfour »

Thanx for that Halalko, it worked fine! Now, here's another question for you...how do i turn a powered tram into an unpowered trailer? Do i just need to set it's HP to 0, and reduce it's weight a little, or is it more complicated than that?
Tom
Halalko
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Halalko »

DarkMatter wrote:Hmm...might you know what specifies if a vehicle can have a trailer?
Nope, not apart for the one mentioned above.... But you should be able to couple the trailer with all the trucks if you just modify the combatible list, been there, done that, and it works ;)
(But couldn't find a way to add more than one trailer, althrough it's possible to have more than one trailer in the same vehicle(like the dmu/emu trains, just with trucks))
(ohhh, yes, I know the cab is missing, but it's only to prove the concept)
blackfour wrote:Thanx for that Halalko, it worked fine! Now, here's another question for you...how do i turn a powered tram into an unpowered trailer? Do i just need to set it's HP to 0, and reduce it's weight a little, or is it more complicated than that?
Tom
Yep, I think so, have done it the other way (ie, added horse power to a unpowered trailer) to the "road train trailers" in the pic above ;)
Andreas "Halalko" Møller
blackfour
Engineer
Engineer

Post by blackfour »

Right, i've got the trams coupling, and i've made an unpowered tram trailer, which works fine...then i decided to remove the pantograph, and that's where it all went wrong...for some reason now, my trailer appears in blue and white whatever my company livery, and, instead of being shaded when the sun isn't on it, it turns a dark red colour! I really can't understand it, the .png's are exactly the same as the Ce 2/2 with the exception that they have no pantograph...colours, the lot are the same...wierd, really...any ideas?
Tom
mlw_1550
Engineer
Engineer

Re: How to couple Trams together?

Post by mlw_1550 »

Halalko wrote: [if (you_are_into_mod'ing)]
Set bit_B in the flags structure to 0(or simple delete the line), and it will allow to couple them ;)
[else]
Yes, it's possible, but only with a mod of the tram dat files :)

Nice! :D
Any way to put a limit to the number of trams you can couple together?
That's CP 1564, a Montreal Locomotives Works built locomotive
DarkMatter
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DarkMatter »

How'd you get that many trailers to couple together? I seem to be stuck with one truck + one trailer, or just two trailers. It says it's too long when I try to have any more than that.
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Semi-off-topic: it would be good to have one high-powered tractor unit compatible with a number of various trailers, maybe refittable ones even so that we don't need too many vehicles.
norfolksouthern37
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by norfolksouthern37 »

blackfour wrote:Right, i've got the trams coupling, and i've made an unpowered tram trailer, which works fine...then i decided to remove the pantograph, and that's where it all went wrong...for some reason now, my trailer appears in blue and white whatever my company livery, and, instead of being shaded when the sun isn't on it, it turns a dark red colour! I really can't understand it, the .png's are exactly the same as the Ce 2/2 with the exception that they have no pantograph...colours, the lot are the same...wierd, really...any ideas?
Tom

you have the wrong pallete saved in the png file. without it, those strange things will happen.
blackfour
Engineer
Engineer

Post by blackfour »

I hate to sound stupid, but how do i change which pallette i've saved? As far as i know, i never did anything to the pallette...
Tom
Halalko
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Halalko »

DarkMatter wrote:How'd you get that many trailers to couple together? I seem to be stuck with one truck + one trailer, or just two trailers. It says it's too long when I try to have any more than that.
It sounds weird, but it isn't 4 trailers couple'd together, it's only one, but with 4 times the same graphics and mod'ed to load 4 times the load of the normal trailer....

But still looking for the 2 vehicle limit, must be there somewhere I think.......
Andreas "Halalko" Møller
blackfour
Engineer
Engineer

Post by blackfour »

Here's another question, i'm trying to convert the WMC bus to run on rails as a Railbus, but i can't seem to find out how to make it run on rails, not roads...does anyone have any idea?
Tom
DarkMatter
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DarkMatter »

Well, you need to make it compatible with railroad track. This line is in all the train stuff I've found so far:

Code: Select all

<useobject desc="tracktype" class="17">TRACKST </useobject>
malepilot

Post by malepilot »

blackfour wrote:Thanx for that Halalko, it worked fine! Now, here's another question for you...how do i turn a powered tram into an unpowered trailer? Do i just need to set it's HP to 0, and reduce it's weight a little, or is it more complicated than that?
Tom
Hi Blackfour, would you be able to share the tram files so I can have my tram coupled too. I don't know how to do modding.

Thanks.

Chris
blackfour
Engineer
Engineer

Post by blackfour »

Erm, well, i'm not exactly sure if i'm allowed to do that, after all, they're just the basic Ce 2/2, but modified...if i am allowed to do it, would you be prepared to wait a little while? I'm hoping to make a few more mods, to allow you to carry goods on the tramways as well, thus meaning you can replicate Interurban Railways...
Tom
DarkMatter
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DarkMatter »

You could upload your mod of the trams here, as this is the graphics and modifications forum.

And on making trams carry goods (which is easy to do), you must also remember to put another type of station at the place where you'd want the trams to drop off the goods, as trams can only stop at passenger stops (which currently only accept passengers).
blackfour
Engineer
Engineer

Post by blackfour »

I'm still having problems...i've got my new WMC railcar to show up under the trams listing, but it can only be placed on roads, not tramtracks, and the other vehicles in the Tram listing (The Ce 2/2 Tram and the Ce 2/2 Tram Trailer) no longer appear! It must be something really obvious that i'm doing wrong...surely?
Tom
DarkMatter
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DarkMatter »

We can't tell unless you give us more info... :)

Post your xml files.

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”