Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Original Soundtrack
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:25 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

"People aren't always what they seem, take a minute and listen." Dominique A. from St. John, New Brunswick

Less than five years ago, there was a YouTube user from Montreal who uploaded the original music of Transport Tycoon to the growing video sharing channel as well as seven track remixes by Rich Nagel. That started bringing attention to the user as Transport Tycoon fans from mostly Finland and Norway decide to come in and listen to the original music.

However, over the years, from various circumstances, the user did not updated the videos as YouTube changed from being a simple corporation that held 100,000 videos to now a world giant with offices around the world.

The user who uploaded the original music is me.

If you guys are really looking for the original soundtrack of Transport Tycoon Deluxe to watch and listen, you have come to the right place. I have been once coming here many times to take a look at the graphics modifications for the game, but I don't play Transport Tycoon anymore, sadly. It's because right now I am trying to market a couple of music videos of my own that took me ten months to work on, but after spending one week of selling on eBay in the beginning of June, I find it to be too awkward and so I have to rely on getting help from other people.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to share my own music videos here because like every other forum that I sign up where I wanted to share the videos, there are strict rules about spamming and advertising. I was even recently banned in two different forums because even though I did only shared the videos in just one topic (and one topic in all of my time with the forums) and didn't want to make another one in the same forum, the administration still considered it as unauthorized sharing.

However, since you TT, TTD and OpenTTD fans are wanting to listen to the original soundtrack, I am going to share you a playlist that had the original videos I uploaded back in 2007. This playlist also has the remixes of the soundtracks. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL80B002004DA4031D

Please note that I do not own the music; it was composed originally by John Broomhall exclusively for the game. All imagery and music are trademarks and/or copyrighted material of their respective owners.

Have fun listening!

P.S. I wonder if OpenTTD will let you put in custom music, because if you can and for some reason the application does not have the original soundtrack or the remix upon installation, you can use the Free YouTube Downloader, download the videos and put them in the directory where the game music is played. Make sure that the file format of the music you put in is compatible with the application.

Post subject: Re: Original Soundtrack
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:44 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Thanks for sharing. I haven't listened to the TTD music in a long while (always play with sound off), and before that only a simple onboard soundcard. Nice to hear it again.

GregPDesTT wrote:
P.S. I wonder if OpenTTD will let you put in custom music

Yes, but it has to be in MIDI format.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:00 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

No problem; it was a pleasure of sharing. About putting this soundtrack to OpenTTD, what you'll need to do is download the videos into MP3 files, and then convert them to MIDI files. I'm not sure if there's a website where you can download the videos and immediately convert them to MIDI files; you can look for one on Google for yourself.

By the way, the original soundtrack has been captured from one type of sound card only instead of all of them. When you run the install.exe file in the Transport Tycoon game directory on DOS or an emulator like DOSBox, what you do is configure the settings by selecting the sound effects board and music board. In this original soundtrack, all of the music is extracted with the AdLib / SoundBlaster OPL-2 FM music board.

General Midi is much better to record the sound and extract it, but that's what I found on the web five years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:25 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

GregPDesTT wrote:
About putting this soundtrack to OpenTTD, what you'll need to do is download the videos into MP3 files, and then convert them to MIDI files.

Or grab yourself the Windows version of TTD, and copy the *.gm files to the openttd baseset directory.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:16 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Seamlessly converting an .mp3 to .midi would be like seamlessly converting a bitmap to a vector image -- that is, I very much doubt it can even be done properly at all...

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:29 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

This should actually be a suggestion to the OpenTTD Team; who can share the idea with them? And maybe we should encourage OpenTTD players to check out the original music if they love the songs; we should ask them if there are any songs they love and if they do, we share the videos with those users? I'm basically suggesting a way on how these videos can be publicized without having the message becoming so intrusive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:46 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Anyone can share ideas with them, here's the suggestions bin: viewforum.php?f=32
Mind that about anything to do with your own music in the game has been suggested by now. Anything other than loading MIDI files in the game is no priority at the moment, as one can easily run a music player in the background while playing the game.

As for publicizing the videos, I think you've managed to do that just fine with this topic ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:49 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

True, but wouldn't some of them be necessarily lazy to open up a media player and play the songs from there?

By the way, here's a quick demonstration of the playlist I provided the link above:

This High Quality Remix was done by Rich Nagel. The original composer is mentioned in the first post of this topic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:58 am 
Administrator
Administrator

You just nabbed them all from this page that we actually host here on TT-Forums, didn't you? :roll:

You may also find my new TT Music Player interesting, featuring several different versions of the TT/TTD soundtracks, in a variety of formats.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:16 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

That first page you linked to is actually where I got the music from and imported to.

Note to share with everyone else: If you guys are ever looking for the original soundtrack to put in for OpenTTD, ask Owen Rudge (orudge) or use the link he just mentioned above.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:35 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Topic locked, the e-mail used by mr. GregPDesTT has found its way to a spam blacklist.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]