Raichases Realism Guide (Part I - DB Set)

Talk about the sequel to the original TT, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Raichases Realism Guide (Part I - DB Set)

Post by Raichase »

Raichases Guide To Realism

This is a continuing project that I am working on, with the help of our great community, in an effort to show everyone interested how to play with Transport Tycoon realistically.

Realistic track building isn't too hard, simply base it off the railways that you have seen, or are near where you live. Realistic station placement, whilst harder, still can be based on real life pictures and memories.

Realistic use of the trains can be very hard however, especially if you do not live in the country the trains are being used in. That is why I am working on this guide, so that no matter where you live, you can use the trains you want, to play TT in a realistic fashion.

Be as realistic as you like - if you find something in the guide is cramping your style, or you don't like it, then don't do it. The number one rule is to keep it fun.

The changelog is below, and the newest version will always be linked to from the changelog. A new post will be made for every new version, and it will be linked to below.

If you have any comments to make, or anything you want to point out (remember, that I am an Australian, so don't know too much about railways of the world), please post it here in this thread, no matter how old this thread gets (it's not topic digging if you have something usefull to say!)

Thanks for your help everyone, you all have your names mentioned in the guide (If you don't, please tell me, so I can rectify it)

Current Version may be found here, and includes:

The DB Set XL (0.81).

Changelog:

23/3/05 Okay folks, I have finally gotten off my rear and updated the guide to bring it into line with the DB Set XL 0.81. I have also dug up all the info I have been gathering on the US Set, and hope to make a start on that after the next version is released.

The latest version is here as well as the changes made to this version.

8/2/05 - I have now added a HTML version, which I really should have put on the first time :]. I really do need to go and *finish* the DB Set XL guide, as well as finish the US Set guide. It'll happen one day :oops:.

12/7/04 (Later on that day...). I have finished the freight section of the guide, and have also completed the trimmed version which is really just the summary tables and the introduction. Next up I shall be testing the US Set, to see if I enjoy it enough to realism guide it :)).

12/7/04 - See here for details
Last edited by Raichase on 23 Mar 2005 05:18, edited 9 times in total.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Dinges
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Dinges »

Wrong forum :?:

Moved it, now let's read it...
Dinges

Who is the other person in me?

my Blog (dutch) - my Last.fm profile

Owner of http://ttdgraphics.cjb.net/ ! Temp addr: http://ttdgraphics.owenrudge.com/
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Doh, you're right. I was looking in 2 forums at once, TTD and Graphics. My bad :P. Thanks for that.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
ImageImage
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

I have updated both the freight sections in both guides. Feedback would be good :)).
ImageImage
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

Very useful, Raichase. :D
Thanks for that helpful guide: I've never known quite what to use each loco for before (although it looks like I'll have to reduce the numbers of BR101/BR182 in my current game; shouldn't be a problem once I've built the Transrapid network though).
The only possible improvements I can think of are extending the freight table into the left-hand margin a bit because it just feels too narrow at the moment and putting borders round the cells of that table.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Thanks, I'll have another look at the table :]
ImageImage
mikeya
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by mikeya »

Nice work!
Mike,
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

*bump*

Nah, j/k. I am planning to re-work the freight section a little (nothing major) to accomodate the new wagons (shouldn't be too hard). I have also updated the *official* website, but it still needs tweaking. I haven't managed to get the images back into the Realism Guide yet (they are not uploading properly), but you can always download it above if you really want them. I also need to tweak the titles of the pages (ATM there is no difference between them, 'cause they used to be one document)

Any other feedback about the site (I have nothing fancy so as not to waste precious hosting space...) and the guide is appreciated. I'll make a guide for any set that is *done* to a playable level (ie like the first DB set was really good, but it got better). I'm also planning a trackbuilding guide as to how I do my tracks.

Mmh. That'll take a while!
ImageImage
103er-Fan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by 103er-Fan »

Hi there Raichase, I just read your realism guide and it is well made, I just hope that many TTD gamers will follow it and post some nice screenshots of their networks using this.

Yet I still have some comments and maybe interesting facts for your guide:
Local Trains: 4x Local Coaches hauled by VT-08’s. For inner-city trains, a VT-95 with a couple of local coaches may suffice. V100’s make good trains too, to add some variety to the VT-08’s
The VT08 is some problematic engine in TTD... first the VT08 was used for long distance trains. A couple of famous german trains like the "Helvetia" or the "Rheinblitz" were VT08 trains. With the introduction of the VT11.5 the VT08 began to lose it's high role in the Bundesbahn.
What I wanted to say is this: These DMU's are designed for a Vmax of 140km/h, not 120. I am not sure if Michael is aware of this, but at all I think it is good the way it is. Also the number of 4 local coaches is too much for these train sets, the highest number in regular service have been 3 coaches. That of course is for a single unit, quite a couple of trains were just multiple units coupled together.
The BR110 is used for fast passenger services by default, and the BR140 is good for slower passenger trains, whilst the BR150 is used for heavy freight (although if for some reason you have a very steep hill and a lot of passenger coaches, it can be pressed into service).
The BR 140 is somekind of early "all-in-one" locomotive. It was mainly used for light to medium fright-trains but also for passenger trains. Today the passenger era is over: It is very rare to see a 140 hauling one of those today.
The BR 110 is almost a pure passenger loco, but not only on the main lines, it was also used for local traffic (even the famous 103 had some local trains to haul). There are some very few fright services left for the 110 today.
However, many of the older “Silverfish” coaches were still in use. That’s why, when building new trains, the new coaches are used as normal. When upgrading older trains, the replacement of some of the older coaches on the train is realistic, so a mix of old and new coaches is apparent. Some trains may even stay completely “Silverfish”!
Actually those white/green (and later on the red ones) are nothing but repainted (and some were redesigned in the inside) silverfishes. The repainting went on pretty slow, even today you can find some trains which consists of the original silver ones, the 80's white/green and the modern red livery.
IR trains have been discontinued and IC trains have been continued. Here, the newer coaches can be mixed with the older coaches, as in the last period. The new coaches are white/red, imitating the ICE colour scheme, only having a black roof instead of a white roof. IR trains can still be used; although they will be running in an IC capacity (i.e. they are no longer called IR trains, although you may still use the older IR coaches), so don’t feel like you have to change all your old IR trains into newer IC trains.
You can say that in 2003 basicly every IC coach is painted in the ICE color. But there are still some InterRegios left in the eastern germany region, which are hauled by BR 112 and IR livery coaches. In addition to that there are new local traffic trains which are called "InterRegio Express", which are actually "lower" trains than the usual IR ones. Those trains consists, depending on the region, of usual red local traffic coaches, the original IR coaches or a mix of IC/IR coaches. They are usually hauled by BR 112 or BR 110.
Inter-City Trains: 5x Mainline Coaches and 2x Mainline Mail Vans, hauled by a BR181, BR112, BR101, BR182.
This is a common mistake: The BR 182 is not used by the DB for any passenger trains. Actually until the end of 2003 it wasn't even technicaly possible to use those locos for passenger services, due to a deactivated power system for the hauled coaches.
Yet the austrain 1016/1116, which are basicly the DB BR 182, are running some IC/EC trains in germany, but only a very few actually reach longer distances in germany.
As of today the IC/EC trains are mostly hauled by BR 101, 120, and some on the slower routes are being hauled by the 112 (sometimes even with two locos or in "sandwich" configuration).

The BR 181 is btw. used for everything: Local traffic, IC/EC and light fright trains which are heading towards france.

Maybe also for interest, the lifetimes of a few locos:
VT-137: Used till the mid/late 50's
VT-08: Used till early 60's in longer distance trains, taken out of service in the mid 80's
VT-95: This one has been into service till the mid 90's on some routes, although the replacement started in the 70's.
V200: Taken out of service in the mid 80's, there are quite some private rail companies which are using these locos today though.
VT11.5: Retired in the late 70's / early 80's
BR 218: Still running and will keep running for the next many years, since there is no replacement on the horizon. For IC/EC trains there are usually two locos used.
BR 232: Still running, though there are quite a few taken out of service, but lot's of them have been built. They are also used for some local traffic trains and, everytime the ICE-TD stood still because of its many problems, also used for IC trains.
BR 605 ICE-TD: Don't laugh but... retired in late 2003 due to the many problems these trains caused. Currently they are all standing still and rumours say that the Iran has high interest in these DMUs.
BR 612: Still in service and running well, they don't have middle coaches! Usually there are two or three units coupled together. Since the ICE-TD retirement, these trains are also running in the IC service.
BR 144: I am not that sure about this one, but the very last should've went out of service in the early 80's.
BR 194: Those german crocodiles have been actually in service till 1988, when the last went out of service. There is one private rail company which still uses two of those fright locos today.
BR 110: Still running, but the numbers are definatly decreasing. They are today still in IC service on two routes. I think they won't completely leave the german rail network before 2008-2010.
ET-30: Usually running with no more and no less than two middle coaches. Last units went out of service in 1984.
BR 140: Many of them are being put out of service since 1998, but since over 850 of them have been built, it will take quite some time before this one will be completely retired, since it is still an important loco for medium fright trains.
BR 150: The last of those powerful locos have been retired in late 2003, the years 2001-2003 have been the last years for most of them.
BR 103: The retirement of my favourite locos started 1998, the number constantly reduced till 2002, when only around 20 of them were still in active service. I would say 2003 was the last year with regular trains hauled by the 103's, there are still a few in service though, but mostly for nostalgic trains.
BR 155: Still in service, and I have no idea when they really want to start their retirement, but it should be a few years away. Has also been used for passenger trains when it was still in service for the Deutsche Reichsbahn.
BR 181: Retirement started very slowly last year, but I guess they will still be in service for the next three or four years at least.
BR 120: Still in service, since the last year there are many rumours about the BR 120 being retired in the next 2-3 years, but nothing is really known.
BR 101: Of course still in service and won't retire any time soon!
BR 401: Originally these trains have been designed for 12 years, considering that they would already been taken out of service, but that won't happen any time soon. Actually there is currently a redesigned for the interior planned.
BR 403: The "flagship" of the DB, won't retire any time soon, there actually have been additional once ordered.
BR 182: Won't retire any time soon, but the DB has canceled the order for more 182's and instead ordered more BR 185.
BR 701: Still running and some will be redesigned with newer technology.

Hope you don't take anything as critique or something, I think some of the above might be actually useful for your guide. For example I would love to see an extra table with all the locos listed, what they were used for and the years they have been in service.
way_2_fun
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by way_2_fun »

Thanks for dedicating your time to do this Raichase!
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Thanks way_2_fun, you have always been quick with the appreciation :)). Good to have, trust me! :].

103-er Fan... Thanks! Hey, I am so not taking that as critique or something like it, as the Realism Guide can't be "Real" if there are inaccuracies. When I can snag the time to have another look at the guide for the freight wagons, I'll work the new info into the guide, as well as giving you a more detailed reply. THANKYOU for taking the time to write out that reply, and I will take the suggestions and info *on-board* so to speak!

Cheers!
ImageImage
way_2_fun
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by way_2_fun »

Raichase wrote:Thanks way_2_fun, you have always been quick with the appreciation :)). Good to have, trust me! :].
You're such a great addition to the forums, you do so many things without being asked, you deserve more than a "Thanks". Not to mention your kind and positive attitude. It would be rude not to appreciate your work. So here's one big thanks for everything you ever done! :D
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Cheers way_2_fun! I can't wait to continue work on the Track Building Guide :P
ImageImage
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

krtaylor wrote:You will find on my tracking pages for the various sets, that I have included reference links, not just to pictures, but also to documentation. We had to find the stats too you know. Personally, if your time permits, I think it would be better to start on the realism guide now, as it might reveal some error in my selections that is more easily fixed now while we're still working on things. I know a lot about usage and can give you some guidance. As far as Amtrak, the reference link for the TurboTrain actually has TONS more Amtrak info in there that will tell you a lot about how they operated.
Yes, I agree that starting the realism set now would be a boon for you, but I would need to have the whole set to use and check when the locos come out etc. I can have a look at your research, but I doubt as if you have missed anything. For example, the realism guides are not to focus a train sets development, more to provide a real basis. I would prefer to work on the guide when the set is done, as it will allow me hands-on application of the set.

I'll also be sure to bookmark the page for the Amtrak page!
ImageImage
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

*bump*

Again with the jokes...

Really, being a lazy bugger, I have still not put in the changes done by the DBSet XL, nor the changed proposed by 103er-fan...

And now, from what I hear, the US-set is nearing completion, and I need to write a little bit about the new stations. Well, the new stations guide should be short but sweet.

Thats all for now...
ImageImage
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

The complete new stations guide:

"Use the signal-box style graphics to create a waypoint station, and the normal style elsewhere" :P
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I hope there will be an early alpha of the US set out next week. Of course, I've been saying that for a couple of weeks now. :roll:

The list is pretty much complete. My table includes some trains that won't make the pre-release, but will appear in later releases.

Eventually the US set will include American stations and maybe even buildings. But that will take quite some time.

Whenever you get to it, I'll be very interested in reading your realism guide. And if you do find another train or two that should be in the set, we can add them in later releases as MB does. Of course, I would expect that we would keep adding additional freight cars pretty much ad infinitum, as people feel the desire to draw more.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

ChrisCF wrote:The complete new stations guide:

"Use the signal-box style graphics to create a waypoint station, and the normal style elsewhere"
Hehe, almost. Really, it depends on how he plans to do the rest of the stations.

I also gotta put in a bit about the gantry signalboxes only being used at stations, as at smaller junctions and crossovers, a standard box will do. Little things like that.
krtaylor wrote:I hope there will be an early alpha of the US set out next week. Of course, I've been saying that for a couple of weeks now. :roll:
When it's done mate, when it's done :)).
The list is pretty much complete. My table includes some trains that won't make the pre-release, but will appear in later releases.
Yeah, If I really like the set and decide to do a guide, I'd probably want to wait until the whole planned set was done. That said, I would be happy to have a look at it when it comes out (even if not complete), to see how it runs.
Eventually the US set will include American stations and maybe even buildings. But that will take quite some time.
I can imagine that it would be worth it, especially for those from America.
Whenever you get to it, I'll be very interested in reading your realism guide. And if you do find another train or two that should be in the set, we can add them in later releases as MB does. Of course, I would expect that we would keep adding additional freight cars pretty much ad infinitum, as people feel the desire to draw more.
Yeah. As I don't know much about US trains, it would be interesting to see what I find when I look information up.
ImageImage
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Well, it's been a while. Since the new DB Set version came out, I have been industriously working on a newer, realism guide (I am redesigning the whole thing to make it one giant work in progress, rather than a group of smaller documents).

At the moment, I have completed the DB Set passenger trains and passenger sets, uploaded above for convenience. I have yet to finish the freight train section, but hope to do so today.

Also in the pipeline is the Realistic Track Guide (probably a long way off though...), and a Realsim Guide for some of the other vehicles in TT. For example, I wouldn't mind revisting the original TT vehicles, and writing a quick chapter for the people out there that still use them.

The most thanks for this latest effort must go to Michael Blunck, and the patch team, for without them, there wouldn't be any graphics to work with, or even any support for new graphics in TT at all!. Many thanks also go to 103-er fan and Georg, for helping me with this, being an Australian, I can't see the trains in real life, so need all the help I can get!
ImageImage
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, the US set is out now, so I hope you start in on a realism guide for it. I'll help you all I can...
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there

Return to “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”