Questions abput the soundtrack (copyright)

Talk about the sequel to the original TT, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
Blues Control
Engineer
Engineer

Questions abput the soundtrack (copyright)

Post by Blues Control »

Hi Community

I hope I´m right here:

Of course I´m a big fan of TTD and espacially of the soundtrack. About a year ago I´ve founded Jazz/Blues-Band with some of my friends and i had the idea to play some of the songs.
But Chris Sawyer sys on his homepage:
These music files are protected by copyright - You can only use them for personal use and only if you own the full Transport Tycoon Deluxe package
source: http://www.chrissawyergames.com/faq2.htm

I own the german Windows-Version of Transport Tycoon Deluxe, but if we play these songs in publicity, I dont youse them for personal use.

Now i hope somebody can help me to find out what i have to do, to be allowed to play these songs with my band.
If i had an email address of Chris saywer or microprose i would ask them but i cant find on on the web.

To show you what i want to do, here is an preview of our band , practising "Hard Drivin"
(its one of our first records, so im sorry for the quality)

http://bluescontrol.bplaced.net/filesd/hard_drivin.mp3
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Questions abput the soundtrack (copyright)

Post by CommanderZ »

My (unqualified quess) is, that nobody can prevent you from covering a song. There are thousands of cover songs made by even the most popular artists around. If covering a song was illegal, they could sue you for singing the song on the street.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Sounds good. :D

Microprose has been defunct for many years, so you're not going to get hold of them.

You could try asking Chris Saywer (via marjacq) or John Broomhall about performance licencing, but if you're not actually recording and publishing, I'd be tempted to just wing it. ;)
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

CommanderZ wrote:My (unqualified quess) is, that nobody can prevent you from covering a song. There are thousands of cover songs made by even the most popular artists around. If covering a song was illegal, they could sue you for singing the song on the street.
Your unqualified guess is completely wrong. Songs, not just recordings, are covered by copyright, and people can and have been sued for "singing the song on the street".
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

It doesn't happen very often though. You'd have to be pretty anal to sue someone for singing something written 16 years ago.

Covering a song is generally accepted as being a reasonable use (note I avoid the phrase "fair use" - that's something else entirely) and you'll amost certainly not come to any grief.
Jon
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

audigex wrote:Covering a song is generally accepted as being a reasonable use and you'll amost certainly not come to any grief.
And you say this based on what? Bearing in mind that people have gotten C&D letters for 10-second clips of their children singing along to songs on youtube.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

audigex wrote:Covering a song is generally accepted as being a reasonable use (note I avoid the phrase "fair use" - that's something else entirely) and you'll amost certainly not come to any grief.
It is OK if you ask first and pay royalties on every copy sold and a royalty for just covering too. The Verve went bust because they had to pay more royalties on Bittersweet Symphonies per copy sold than they actually earned on it.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Return to “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”