Lots of general questions about TTD

Talk about the sequel to the original TT, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
Fastphil
Engineer
Engineer

Lots of general questions about TTD

Post by Fastphil »

Hi,

This is my first post here. I'm not really new to TTD, I used to play it years ago and I just got back into it again. Never was a serious player, but I'm trying a little harder this time around. So here I am, with a bunch of random questions about the game. Feel free to answer as few or many as you like.

Does buying ad campaigns and all that nonsense really pay off? Seems like I'm doing pretty well without them, so naturally I hesitate to dump millions of dollars into that stuff...

Does anyone else not bother with road vehicles? I find they're just too much work to keep track of, what with them getting lost, needing replacement, getting run over by trains, etc. I know it's a matter of preference, but what's your take on road vehicles?

How do you proceed when you buy out a competitor? Do you eliminate their networks? Improve them? I generally buy out the biggest competitor, assuming there is not too much debt, and then eliminate their road vehicles when they get old or if they run parallel lines to my existing ones, and improve their other lines. What I don't understand is, for example, if an ex-competitor's parallel line is eliminated, wouldn't the now-unmoved output go to your existing line? Sometimes it seems to just disappear...

Those are all the general questions I can think of for now, but I have a specific problem I'd like some input on as well. I don't know how to show you the problem with a pic, so I'll try to explain.

I have one 4-track train station that I've made into a RORO, with all the proper signals, but all the trains always wait for just one track. Unfortunately space is very tight around the inlet line of the station, so I can't rearrange the tracks too much. Is this normal for the trains to wait for one track? It doesn't happen anywhere else on my map, but this one is probably one of the busiest stations I have. Any insight would be appreciated. If more clarification is required on my behalf, just say so.

EDIT: I got the station figured out. I reviewed Owen's guide and I just needed 2-way signals a the entry to each platform. I don't understand why, but it works.
TIA,

Phil
Last edited by Fastphil on 10 Oct 2009 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Fastphil
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Lots of general questions about TTD

Post by Fastphil »

Another question... What's the best way to overhaul a rail network to Monorail or Maglev? Shut it all down and do it all at once? Build parallel lines before demolishing the old stuff to minimize down time?
Al T.
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Al T. »

Hi, this is my first post here but I've played for years.

-I never bother with road vehicles. (they rarely make enough to be useful)
-I find the best way to upgrade rail services is do it all at ounce. Send all trains to depot, use the tool that converts to maglev or whatever system and drag over the whole map. Then delete all trains, convert depots build trains again.
aetherguy881
Engineer
Engineer

Post by aetherguy881 »

I've played for about a year and have found that running the road vehicles are also not worth it. I don't see why they don't have the common sense to stop when the rail lights start flashing...

The only time I find it worthwhile to run road vehicles is when there's a subsidiary that is a passenger job to/from neighboring cities.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

I find RV's very useful for short route, and that (In OTTD, at least) they do make enough to pay for themselves and more. Also if you have problems with them not stopping at Road/Rail crossings, consider using a bridge/tunnel for one or the other.
bwong
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by bwong »

Hi,

This is my first post here. I'm not really new to TTD, I used to play it years ago and I just got back into it again. Never was a serious player, but I'm trying a little harder this time around. So here I am, with a bunch of random questions about the game. Feel free to answer as few or many as you like.

Does buying ad campaigns and all that nonsense really pay off? Seems like I'm doing pretty well without them, so naturally I hesitate to dump millions of dollars into that stuff...
They sometimes pays off. When you already have a good network and the ratings are excellent, they don’t do much, but when your ratings start to drop, and another company comes in and starts taking your business then that would be a good time to use the ad campaigns so that people will use your company’s transport.

Does anyone else not bother with road vehicles? I find they're just too much work to keep track of, what with them getting lost, needing replacement, getting run over by trains, etc. I know it's a matter of preference, but what's your take on road vehicles?
I use road vehicles sometimes for short distance cargoes, such as when a mine and a power station are close together, or passenger services, and sometimes even mail service. When I do use them I turn off breakdowns and also services. But in general I don’t use road vechicals.

How do you proceed when you buy out a competitor? Do you eliminate their networks? Improve them? I generally buy out the biggest competitor, assuming there is not too much debt, and then eliminate their road vehicles when they get old or if they run parallel lines to my existing ones, and improve their other lines. What I don't understand is, for example, if an ex-competitor's parallel line is eliminated, wouldn't the now-unmoved output go to your existing line? Sometimes it seems to just disappear...
Personally I buy the company, then I touch it up, for instance they will have really slow trains running on a long line (thus debt) I turn those into faster trains (thus income! :) ). I do practically what you do, improve the networks. But then again, I don’t always buy companies; I just buy 75% of all companies (I do not know why).

there is my answers to the questions
Check out some of my work
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

bwong wrote:there is my answers to the questions
Yes, thanks bwong. :-P
I think that he wanted opinions more than answers.
Fastphil wrote:Does buying ad campaigns and all that nonsense really pay off? Seems like I'm doing pretty well without them, so naturally I hesitate to dump millions of dollars into that stuff.
I find that it does, it earns you a lot of money when used correctly.

Return to “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”