Current legal availibility of TTD

Talk about the sequel to the original TT, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
Merri
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Current legal availibility of TTD

Post by Merri »

As Google seems to give me nothing, it seems TTD is still unavailable for buying legally? I got back on this thing as I got myself to update/redesign the Finnish translation page and thought it may now be possible to find a legal download that I could point people to, but this far I've found nothing. Two weeks ago or so I found out about GOG.com and it has some great classics available, but TTD has only 230 votes in their wishlist at the moment. Also, if I recall correctly, has Chris Sawyer stated that it would be ok just to go ahead and download a version online or is this just a rumor someone set off sometime?
Transport Tycoon Deluxe stuff
- Suomenkielinen Transport Tycoon Deluxe (versio 1.10, päivitetty 28.5.2004)
Chrill

Re: Current legal availibility of TTD

Post by Chrill »

Well, put simply, you can find a download of the original TTD at www.owenrudge.net if I'm not mistaken. It's perhaps not legal but you'll never get busted for doing it. Atari SHOULD own the rights but they can't be bothered looking that up
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Merri
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Merri »

I link to this thread atm like I've done since I made that page back in 2004, not that many updates in recent years in that thread but I guess it does the job. For some reason recently I've got a lot of contacts regarding TTD, I've even got two phone calls on how to install the game so I've wondered if there was something wrong with the page, links or the instructions :roll:

My problem is just that this is one exception to my line of trying to avoid having anything on my sites that could be considered illegal. But if there is no legal choice...
Transport Tycoon Deluxe stuff
- Suomenkielinen Transport Tycoon Deluxe (versio 1.10, päivitetty 28.5.2004)
Magikarcher
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Magikarcher »

I really want to get TTD, but I am nervous of the possibility of getting busted by Atari. Are there any known cases where someone has got into legal trouble regarding the download of this game? I noticed that there are several sites dedicated to the download of this game, that have been around for years. I am assuming that since they didn't get into any trouble, an individual would be much less likely to.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Magikarcher wrote:I really want to get TTD, but I am nervous of the possibility of getting busted by Atari. Are there any known cases where someone has got into legal trouble regarding the download of this game? I noticed that there are several sites dedicated to the download of this game, that have been around for years. I am assuming that since they didn't get into any trouble, an individual would be much less likely to.
I can imagine those offering the game online can get into problem. But even in this case, email from the legal owner asking to remove the download is usually the first measure taken.

I haven't heard about a single case, where someone was busted for possessing a warez video game. Usually they go after the people who are sharing the game (FTPs, DC, torrents...).
CompactDstrxion
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CompactDstrxion »

I'm not sure if it's even illegal to download the game. The legality of distributing it is questionable though, TTD is however considered 'abandonware' AKA 'nobody cares!'
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

CompactDstrxion wrote:TTD is however considered 'abandonware'
AAKA 'still under copyright, but we don't want to admit it'
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Vemarkis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vemarkis »

Well, it seems you can get TTD as new from amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00005LDJB

Return to “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”