NARS Strategy

Talk about the sequel to the original TT, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

NARS Strategy

Post by Raichase »

I've been playing a bit of OTTD recently, using the current NARS (version 2?), starting in 1850 and attempting to go until 2050. I must admit, I am enjoying the challenge this set provides, combined with larger maps - it is not always viable to transport passengers over long distances in the early years, which is a nice variable on what I am used to.

I'm currently working a couple of coal trains for income, and trying to fund a couple of lucrative passenger routes that are marginally profitable now, but will hopefully supplement growth in the future.

Anyone have any hints or tips for success with this set? It's an enjoyable challenge without seeming impossible.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: NARS Strategy

Post by PikkaBird »

This isn't a NARS-specific thing, but it's a good idea to play with inflation off if you start before 1920. Otherwise, the disparity between cost and income inflation rates will make profits almost impossible by the end of the game.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

PikkaBird wrote:This isn't a NARS-specific thing, but it's a good idea to play with inflation off if you start before 1920. Otherwise, the disparity between cost and income inflation rates will make profits almost impossible by the end of the game.
I'm noticing this, thanks for the heads up! I might do that in my new game.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
ImageImage
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Can someone please explain to me why this thread is here? It seems to me that it's either about:
1) NARS, or
2) OpenTTD.

If 1, it belongs in a NARS thread, and if 2, it belongs in an OpenTTD forum.

Have I missed something somewhere? Has Pikka figured out how to make NARS so magical that even vanilla TTD can load it? (It wouldn't surprise me to discover that this would actually be possible. It would surprise me to discover that Pikka's gone to the necessary effort to make it happen.)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

DaleStan wrote:Can someone please explain to me why this thread is here? It seems to me that it's either about:
1) NARS, or
2) OpenTTD.

If 1, it belongs in a NARS thread, and if 2, it belongs in an OpenTTD forum.

Have I missed something somewhere? Has Pikka figured out how to make NARS so magical that even vanilla TTD can load it? (It wouldn't surprise me to discover that this would actually be possible. It would surprise me to discover that Pikka's gone to the necessary effort to make it happen.)
Gee, my apologies. I was simply hoping to stimulate some general discussion on this forum about the graphics set and some early game strategies. I was looking for input from both TTDP and OTTD players.

I'm terribly sorry to deeply offend your way of life, I won't trouble this forum again with my quest for a discussion.
ImageImage
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Having inflation on does indeed cause more than a few problems when you play for so long, we've played a few NARS games on the IS2 server. With pb_build it's ridiculously hard to get started! Fortunately the infrastructure sharing helps offset costs a bit.

Return to “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”