Transporting passengers to train station

Talk about the sequel to the original TT, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
kanelbulle
Engineer
Engineer

Transporting passengers to train station

Post by kanelbulle »

Hello

I've been playing TTD for some time and I find it very amusing. I almost only do passengers and railway since I find them most entertaining. My tactic is basically a large train station at each city, combined with a lot of buses to haul transfers from the inner city parts out to the railway station. I've attached a picture of what it usually looks like.

However, I've started to run into problems, simply that it requires too many buses. The amount of buses becomes ridiculous as the city grows, and they cannot keep up. If you look at the picture you can see that the ten or so bus stops by the railway station is clogged up.

Does anyone have any advice on how to solve this logistics problem? :D Maybe something completely else with several railway stations? The amount of road vehicles would still become ridiculous probably..

Anyway, advices or examples appreciated! :)

Cheers
Attachments
uppsala_buses.png
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 330 times
sandeuros
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Transporting passengers to train station

Post by sandeuros »

I am happy when I see the profit of the train,
maselbe
Engineer
Engineer

Post by maselbe »

I think trams could help you out (I think they can carry more passengers). Or else try it with a timetable so they don't arrive at the stops at the same time.
aahz77
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by aahz77 »

In real life, a city as big as yours would also have problems transporting all those passengers via only busses. They'd build a tram line or a subway (the latter not being available for TTD), so maybe you should consider something like that. You could also do a metro or light railway line around the city, connecting the train station on one end to the other end (there are train sets with the appropriate engines / coaches, and DMTs / EMTs).
One after one, by the star-dogged Moon,
Too quick for groan or sigh,
Each turned his face with a ghastly pang,
And cursed me with his eye.

-- Samuel T. Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
AndyLowson
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AndyLowson »

I run my cities exactly the same way and inevitably run into the same problems.

I will:

Use drive through stops for bus's.

Build as many stations as possible to spread load.

Have trains on edge to again spread load.

Use a big airport to take load of bus's.

TRAMS!!!!!!
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

aahz77 wrote:In real life, a city as big as yours would also have problems transporting all those passengers via only busses...
As big as thirty thousand? That's about the size of my home-town, and there are more than enough buses.
( http://www08.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=chippenham )
Last known as: Weirdy
aahz77
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by aahz77 »

SkeedR wrote:
aahz77 wrote:In real life, a city as big as yours would also have problems transporting all those passengers via only busses...
As big as thirty thousand? That's about the size of my home-town, and there are more than enough buses.
( http://www08.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=chippenham )
The town sizes in TTD don't match real-life town sizes. A small village (let's say, 1K people) with a few passengers every day is represented in TTD with a village of ~100 people (a bus station in such a village provides a comparable amount of passengers within a month). Note that the comparison is not linear: A big TTD city like kanelbulle's with nearly 40K people produces more than enough passengers to fuel several big trains at a central station AND a complete bus/tram network within the city, which in real life is only the case for cities with 1M+ citizens.
One after one, by the star-dogged Moon,
Too quick for groan or sigh,
Each turned his face with a ghastly pang,
And cursed me with his eye.

-- Samuel T. Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Return to “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”