Newbie at TTD

Talk about the sequel to the original TT, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
CaptainCow
Engineer
Engineer

Newbie at TTD

Post by CaptainCow »

Hello all you don't know how pleased I was to come across this forum.

Basically I played TTD a long time ago after my friend gave me the game, until my friends dog chewed the CD. *100% truthful*

Anyway I've got a hold of TTD and with it came the past memories of being useless.

Can i just use this thread as my 'silly questions thread?' I have read some strategies online and Wiki Manual but it seems to be more about using the patches language rather than the game. I think I am making my first boo-boo here.

Anyway I am currently starting many games trying new things out, learning small pieces at a time. I am currently trying to get an oil fields production to increase but failing. It is a short haul and I have 6 lorries going backwards and fowards normally averaging about 70-80% transported but the production still fluctuates from 4,800 to 5,400 Litres of oil but doesn't go any higher. Can anybody explain why or offer me some tips?

Started another game, I know coal is a good starter a 20-30 square train can bring in 20-30k but when I do this the production remains around 120tonnes - 135tonnes. Should it be improving with these beginning trains or should I wait much longer until I can really up production?

edit: I am using TDD patch 1.8 I believe.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Newbie at TTD

Post by Lakie »

TTDPatch 1.8 very old, try updating to the latest TTDpatch version: stable / nightly.
(Note the nightly should be fairly stable and has quite a lot more features).

You might also want to try out OpenTTD, which is a separate project with different features and developments.
Worth giving both a try and sticking to the one you most prefer. :)

Hope that helps,
~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
CaptainCow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CaptainCow »

Lakie wrote:TTDPatch 1.8 very old, try updating to the latest TTDpatch version: stable / nightly.
(Note the nightly should be fairly stable and has quite a lot more features).
Thanks for that I have updated to 2.5 beta 9.

Any other advice about my inability to improve production issues?
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Generally giving them high service will help your chances of their production increasing however, I'm pretty sure Oil can only decrease in production after certain date.
Having two stations will help you get closer to the 100% service rating, similarly smaller times between loading helps.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
CaptainCow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CaptainCow »

Yeah I try to give them a high service. But one train on a line of 20-30 squares doesn't seem to be at the station enough, maybe the earlier trains are just too slow.

however running two trains seems too expensive for the profit made. Same argument with 2 stations, especially in the beginning I find it is just too expensive for the profit you recieve to have two stations. Leaving me to get very low income after 5-8 years of playing.

I have noticed getting the trains to wait until full helps as the service creeps up % by %.

What do you have your service interval normally set at in config? Is there a standard time that the majority believes is best. 16000 is clearly way too long, I am currently trying 365 and still getting a few breakdowns for 3-5 year of trains.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

I generally turn off breakdowns, or force service them as they leave the destination industry.
For stations, I usually start with one in a roro (Roll-On-Roll-Off) configuration and use the fifo loading patch.
Not really had a problem with it, usually start with one to two trains (usually to different industries) and slowly expand the network to include other source industries near-by.
As I get more money then I increase the number of trains to a station if its more than 30-40 tiles way (path).

[Edit] There are many other ways to do it, for example, quite a lot of people start with passenger services as they tend to give good money after a time.

~ Lakie

Return to “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”