Demo version of TTD.

Talk about the sequel to the original TT, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
feliciafan89
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Demo version of TTD.

Post by feliciafan89 »

This is pretty much the story of how I first heard of TTD. I had a CD of Dragonsphere, a quest game by Microprose and MPS Labs. At the launch menu, apart from launching the game itself, there was a button that brought you to a list of over thirty demos. Among them was a demo of TTD. When I played it, it was a bit annoying with the restrictions... you could save your game, and the time could go on for as long as you wanted, but here's the major differences between the demo and full version:

-No sound or music played. I was around 10 I think when I played the demo, so if there was a way to turn them on, I never found it. Also, I couldn't find it now... I lost the Dragonsphere CD.
-Only the Railroad Options were available. No ship, aircraft, or road options were available. Clicking on the appropriate buttons did nothing.
-After seeing the company logos, the demo throws you right into the game. No menu.
-Since you couldn't set any options from the nonexistent main menu, you automatically have competition from (I think two) different companies.
-I also couldn't figure out the point of the game, I was young and foolish. I just placed the depots anywhere, away from the cities, and I also didn't build stations. I just ordered the train to move from one depot to another, and I didn't get any revenue. :P
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Demo version of TTD.

Post by orudge »

This is a link to a demo of TTO, although whether the link will work any more (I got a "Server Busy" error when I tried) I'm not sure - the link was from the TT Semi-FAQ.
feliciafan89
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by feliciafan89 »

That helps... maybe. The CD also had other notable titles. Such as the first two XCom games. And Civilization, and Colonization. :D
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

Interesting. May I ask in what type of box the game was sold? I see two versions on eBay, one in a book and another one in a DVD box:
Attachments
dvd box version
dvd box version
ds.jpg (17.21 KiB) Viewed 5795 times
book version
book version
ds_book.jpg (21.78 KiB) Viewed 5797 times
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

My original TTO disc had a demo version of TTD hidden away on it (well, I couldn't be bothered to explore the disc back then)...

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

Lakie wrote:My original TTO disc had a demo version of TTD hidden away on it (well, I couldn't be bothered to explore the disc back then)...

~ Lakie
What do you mean, hidden away? I've got the original TTO CD in German, but can't seem to find anything special...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Lakie wrote:My original TTO disc had a demo version of TTD hidden away on it (well, I couldn't be bothered to explore the disc back then)...
TTO on a CD? I think the version of TTO I have came on floppy disks. I assume the version you had must have been a recent-ish release of it, after TTD was released.
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

orudge wrote:TTO on a CD? I think the version of TTO I have came on floppy disks. I assume the version you had must have been a recent-ish release of it, after TTD was released.
I don't think so, I've got TTO on floppy discs and CDROM. The packing is the same except that the CD version has a sticker on it saying that is is the CD version. They looks like being the same age, altought I can't really tell for sure because I bought it a few years after the release. See http://www.tt-ms.de/about/#ttowe for a scan.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

orudge wrote:This is a link to a demo of TTO, although whether the link will work any more (I got a "Server Busy" error when I tried) I'm not sure - the link was from the TT Semi-FAQ.
I just tried it and got a server requires authentication box.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

There's not much truth behind this whole TTD demo kerfuffle, huh? No more comment/answer from feliciafan89... :roll:
vear
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by vear »

A demo of TTD does exist. I discovered it a couple of years ago on my TTO CD (the Microprose Powerplus edition, which included TTO bundled with the Wold Editor; the box looks exactly like this one). As I'm not home at the moment, I can't specify the details (such as limitations) of the demo, however, what I remember clearly is that the only climate available was toyland.

It definitely is not hidden (in terms of "hidden" attribute, since such doesn't exist on CDs ;)), though its presence isn't obvious as the Powerplus edition has no launcher (just a couple of language-specific .bat scripts which eventually launch a relevant installer). All you have to do in order to get your hands on the demo, is browse the disc.
see my transportation photos on fotozajezdnia
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

vear
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by vear »

Yep. That's exactly the "hidden" TTD demo I wrote about.
see my transportation photos on fotozajezdnia

Return to “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”