Is the download legal?

Talk about the sequel to the original TT, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Is the download legal?

Post by michael blunck »

Besides from the exact meaning of those particular terms, I doubt the legality of the above comparison at all.

You may o/c copy parts or whole of a book which is out of print and/or not commercially available for private use (you may indeed do so with a commercially available book!) but I doubt you may legally copy a computer game or program for free in that same situation.

The term "abandonware" has no legal basis and is a fiction.

regards
Michael
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Is it true that the first copies of TTO were sold on 4 (or 2, can't remember anymore) floppy's? My dad used to have TTO on floppy's, and I can hardly believe he illegally downloaded it in 1994 :P
Circeus
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Circeus »

michael blunck wrote:The term "abandonware" has no legal basis and is a fiction.
Absolutely true, but it remains a useful term to describe the reality fans of these programs are faced with.
Open Addict
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Open Addict »

Darkmast49 wrote:Is it true that the first copies of TTO were sold on 4 (or 2, can't remember anymore) floppy's? My dad used to have TTO on floppy's, and I can hardly believe he illegally downloaded it in 1994 :P
Came on Two floppy's because I too had an original. Unfortunately said floppy's became corrupted. And I did not have a personal back-up. Thus I had too miss out on TT for a while.

I then got lucky approx 3-4 years ago when I came across a Four pack of games with TTD in it. I snapped up that little puppy with my two hands and have now made two back-up's of the CD's so I dont loose it again.
Energy - You use it, You pay for it.

Return to “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”