Problem...Unable to access transport tycoon CD

Talk about the sequel to the original TT, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
Huddersfield_White
Engineer
Engineer

Problem...Unable to access transport tycoon CD

Post by Huddersfield_White »

ok, i used to play TTD back in the day when i was about 9 or 10, fancied playing it again so over x-mas, went back to my parents and found the cd and it's only scratched to buggery. So it doesn't read it full stop.

So just downloaded the TTD Deluxe from one of those sites you have linked, installed the game, think i've installed the patch correctly (it's a funny bugger) and i loaded the game on the start menu, it comes up with "error reading registry" could be a problem with the patch...

Ok, easy way around this is to change it's compatability to windows 95, done that it comes up with "Unable to access transport tycoon CD" after just loading a blank screen for a few seconds, which i full well expected to happen... is there any crack file to get around this? or is it included in the patch which i may or may not have installed...

any help would be greately appriciated!
ISA
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ISA »

Run ttdpatch.exe not Gamegfx :) if You installed game correctly then ttdpatch.exe would be in TTD main directory ;)
Huddersfield_White
Engineer
Engineer

still isn't working, deleted and downlaoded it all again... dunno what's wrong, keeps saying the same thing... :cry:
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

More explaining required....
How did you install the Game?
How did you install the Patch?
How are you running the Patch?
What version of the Patch do you have?

The basic steps are to extract the 'acquired' version of TTD somewhere... Run the installer (though this is no longer required with the Betas) and Install into a different directory.
Download the Patch, extract into this same directory. Then simply double-click on ttdpatchw(.exe)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I can't help, but i am just wondering, are you actually from the place known as Huddersfield in the UK? If so, i live quite close!
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Try setting the "compatibility" to none, since the patch should allow it to run fine without it.
Run using the patch, it should be able to bypass the registry if there is no path in it, if there is see below...

You could try running ttdpatch using the flag "n+" (should be "-!n+" in the command line), so it doesn't use the registry at all. ;)
Not sure if that works with the normal (non-debug) binaries though.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

It does. The preprocessor macros DEBUG and RELEASE mostly control which patch code gets compiled, not which loader code gets compiled.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

You mentioned registry, so I'm going to go back through the steps you should go through.

You've already downloaded TTD (Assumedly the windows version), and you've downloaded the patch, but I'm guessing you've downloaded the old stable version of the patch. With the old patch, the game requires registry information created during the CD's installation process, since you downloaded TTD, it probably didn't have the installer. Newer versions of TTDPatch allow running the game without having any registry information stored on the computer, it uses some voodoo magic and reads its registry information from a file called registry.ini (Which new versions of TTDPatch create automaticly)

What you need to do is download the most recent beta version from http://www.ttdpatch.net/src/ . Don't let 'Development Version' discourage you, the betas are pretty damn solid.

While you're are it, to properly enjoy a lot of the new features added to the recent ttdpatch versions, you will need the base graphics file. Download that from here: http://www.ttdpatch.net/newgrf.html#25

Make sure that you have also disabled the Win95 compatibility mode on the program's properties, you do-not need it. TTDPatch includes support for newer versions of Windows by default.

Now, assuming those instructions have been followed (I won't treat you like an idiot by explaining how to install ttdpatch, you've already done it once and gotten far enough for the game to complain about registry, which generally only TTDPatch will do. If you're not running ttdpatchw.exe and you get errors, it will be errors about not finding the CD), the game should run properly by just double clicking ttdpatchw.exe. If you are still getting the registry issue, try deleting 'registry.ini' and running ttdpatchw.exe again. That also counts if you were already running the 2.5 betas when your registry issue came up.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

Or just wipe the old install, download Nr-TTD, and follow the instructions on the page... so far, it's worked for everyone. If you have some weird registry problems then just use run-forcenoreg.bat.
Huddersfield_White
Engineer
Engineer

ok, thank you for the massive help folks! and yes, i'm from huddersfield, at the University, but what does white mean? yes i'm a Leeds fan... we actually won the other day lol!

ok... first of all i've tried the nr-tdd_latest which spComb said, extracted it all, clicked on the install.bat and it comes up with "another program is currently using this file" It's been doing that A LOT recently on my computer, so i guess my pc needs a major overhaul, but that is gonna have to wait.

So i downloaded TTD Deluxe again, put the patch in as well as that graphics thing. Run ttdpatchw, get these messages, after deleting the file it's told me to, i dont get much further... registry error.
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (46.87 KiB) Viewed 11301 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (57.73 KiB) Viewed 11298 times
Last edited by Huddersfield_White on 02 Jan 2007 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

What happens when you delete TTDLOADW.OVL?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Huddersfield_White
Engineer
Engineer

sos, am kinds taking it step by step through, but it still doesn't work, registry error, as for the 'registry.ini' file, that doesn't exist in the directory of TTD that i've downloaded, and the file "runme!" which is the registry entries file, i cant open it, it says it's being used by another program and when moving it elsewhere it still doesn't make any difference...
Last edited by Huddersfield_White on 02 Jan 2007 23:35, edited 1 time in total.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I do believe SpComb already covered that:
SpComb wrote:If you have some weird registry problems then just use run-forcenoreg.bat.
OT: http://lumpio.no-ip.com/dont-use-thx-sry-plz.txt
Huddersfield_White
Engineer
Engineer

already tried it, cant install any of the contents of NR-TTD
Attachments
3.JPG
3.JPG (25.83 KiB) Viewed 11292 times
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: ....

Post by Redirect Left »

Huddersfield_White wrote:and yes, i'm from huddersfield, at the University,
Just nice to know there is another TTD player in the area, i am from Holmfirth, about 5 miles away from Huddersfield Town Center.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

"Couldn't install code loader" - that sounds similar to what would happen if TTD Patch was unable to access your GameGFX.exe file, or whatever it is.

It looks like your computer is pretty badly FUBAR (nasty virus?). You've got bigger problems than not being able to play TTD...
Huddersfield_White
Engineer
Engineer

yeah, i guessed that, will try again tommorow after i run hitman pro through the night, that might get rid of a lot of junk on the pc.
Huddersfield_White
Engineer
Engineer

hmmmm, well i used hitman pro to get rid of all the spyware, cleared all my system of unwanted and unused crap and i'm currently de-fraging the computer, dont think it will work mind, after i tried hitman pro it still wouldn't work... same problem.

Tried downloading an Iso. of the CD but that wont even copy to an CD (using Nero which is usually good), i dunno, does anyone have any ideas where to get a free, half decent virus scanner from off the net?

again, any help would be greately appriciated!
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

Google AVG or Avast or Adaware
(Though i think adaware is payfor now)
Last known as: Weirdy
Huddersfield_White
Engineer
Engineer

just got AVG, let it go through my system, so here's to hoping i can get the game working now. Will download again!

Return to “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”