Train Depots

Talk about the sequel to the original TT, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
Ildefonse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Train Depots

Post by Ildefonse »

Hi all, I´ve read the piece on the site on train servicing and how to force trains into a depot. Although the idea is good, I don´t like the idea of these kind of tricks. I like it when trains find their own way, service themselves properly and don´t have to ride up and down he whole map to do so.

A better way to solve the problem I´ve found is this:
(See picture for example)

The best thing is to have a depot near a station (doesn´t matter how big). Now, as you look at the picture, when the depot near this station is the only depot on the route, a train will most likely want to enter it before loading/unloading at the station. With this construction, this is not a problem because the train can use the two (can be one, I used 2 because of a lot of traffic) tracks leading back to the entrance of the station to go and load/unload his stuff. This way a minimum of time is lost on servicing, and you don´t have force trains to enter the depot everytime they pass it.

The key is to not have depots along the tracks themselves, because that will mess up trains. They will start thinking that they want to enter a particular depot when they pass it, even if they can´t reach it. When you place the depots only at the stations everything should work fine. Oh, one more thing, since the trains don´t enter depots obligatory, they could break down sometimes. However, as Matt mentioned, we die-hard TT pro´s don´t mind building a train network capable of handling such occasional brakedowns, right? I even sometimes stop a train intentionally at a crucial point or bottle neck just to see how the rest will react to it. It´s a good way to test if your network can handle a lot of traffic without jamming. That´s the fun about TT I think.

If you want to view the savegame of the system I took the screenshot from, go to the post about Complex Railroads.

I hope I made myself clear, if not just ask.

Adam

Attachment:
Last edited by Ildefonse on 30 Apr 2002 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
I made that! ;)
Omnislash
Forum Co-Founder
Forum Co-Founder

Post by Omnislash »

Ok mate I see your point. Why don´t you write a web page about your methods with TT. Send it too me and I´ll take a look. And maybe put them on the site. But your way with depots is good. Hopefully some of your other methods with the game are too.

Have fun with TTD

Matt Gillard
ImageImageImageImageImage
Ildefonse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ildefonse »

Oh I am always having fun with TTD ;) Espescially since I´ve discovered this site and thus the windows version (with working sounds woohoo) and the patch.

Adam
I made that! ;)
Omnislash
Forum Co-Founder
Forum Co-Founder

Post by Omnislash »

Glad to hear it mate. Hope you enjoy TT as I do and have for years and years.

Matt Gillard
ImageImageImageImageImage
Wezz6400
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wezz6400 »

I use the method as it is on the site and it works pretty well. Only one thing, always buy the groud directly behing the depot.
In my case one of my competitors build a station directly behind it so one of my trains got stuck inside the depot. ;( I had to build and depot to solve the problem.
Ildefonse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ildefonse »

I stopped playing with competitors because it´s no fun. They only spoil the land with their stupid idiotic constructions. I like to be able to own everything and do everything what i like without them being in the way. It allows me to make Huuuugggeeee networks. Like now, I´m making a network which all trains use, and which connects all industries and all towns. I will post it here when it is finished.

Ad,am
I made that! ;)
Wezz6400
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wezz6400 »

I like to play with lots of competitors, it´s fun to buy them all out and then see new companies get founded which in no way can compete with yout 10 million pound profit in a year company. :D
But I have most fun on a map with 2 real big cities (which actually are multiple cities placed next to eachother in the editor). I once had a scenario of The Netherlands which had that but I have lost it and the website I dowloaded it from doesn´t exist anymore. ;(
Anyway, when you have a map like that you can have 10 yate hougans (or whatever those real fast planes are called) and 4 or those 300 passenger flanes flying around and make lot´s of profit and in that way do everything you want, if a competitor is in your way or competing too much you just buy him out. :D :D :D
Ildefonse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Ildefonse »

In fact, funny you mentioned it, but I was planning to make a scenario of the Netherlands myself. When I´m done I´ll post it here.

Adam
I made that! ;)
Wezz6400
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wezz6400 »

I have searched on the net and I have found one (on various websites the same) and I can say only one thing about it: it stinks. I hope you will make a better one! :)

ps: We are going offtopic.
Ildefonse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

OFFTOPIC

Post by Ildefonse »

Ok shall we start a new thread, Custom Scenarios? I´ll post the Netherlands there when I´m done with it. Currently working on ´Zeeland´ :P
I made that! ;)
Wezz6400
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wezz6400 »

k, that´s a good idea. :)
I hope you can make something from Zeeland, but I think that will be hard because the islands are so small.

Return to “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”