[WIP] Sydney City Scenario

Got a nice scenario or saved game for Locomotion? Post it here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

sshy
Engineer
Engineer

[WIP] Sydney City Scenario

Post by sshy »

I want to start making a realistic Sydney City scenario.

But there's a problem... The mapgen program doesn't work properly for me in Wine. (I'm running on a Mac)
I was wondering if someone would be keen on working on the scenario with me.

Basically all I need is the landscape generated from the satellite photo (Which I will provide).
Once that's done, I'll take care of the rest.

The scenario will include real existing main roads like Victoria road, Epping road etc. and suburbs ranging up towards Chatswood, Ryde, Epping, Concord, Drummoyne, Darlinghurst, City Circle etc.

I may even create a save game along with it and setup the City Rail lines and the main Sydney Buses bus stops, along with any other landmark MODS I can find that resemble the city.

Here's the satellite shot of the region that I'm thinking of creating.

Previews -

SYDNEY SATELLITE

SYDNEY DIRECTORY

PM me or post if your interested and I'll send you the .bmp

Kindest.
C3805.
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [WIP] Sydney City Scenario

Post by C3805. »

I reckon give it a go, but you will have trouble with replicating some of the arterial routes, especially Victoria Road. Try to focus on building the Main Suburban line too, from Central to Strathfield at least, and see where you can go from there. But it is impossible to include everything in, you will probably only end up doing Zone 1 of CityRail.

Do your best, it's always good when someone decides to make something Aussie in locomotion. :)
sshy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sshy »

Yeah I definitely won't be able to fit every little suburb in... Only the main ones will probably make it, but that's all good.
I'll have to trial and error with different satellite shots/landscapes. The roads and rail are going to be a nightmare to setup, but I like a challenge.

It'll be a fun little project, something to work on during my long breaks at uni.
Thanks for your support C3805!
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

A little piece of advice. When making your map, use a clean objdata folder. Once you're done, then you could consider a modded version.
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
sshy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sshy »

Understood.

So is anyone keen on helping me in generating the landscape?
C3805.
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by C3805. »

I have an idea, rather than creating the unorganised and congested series of roads that make up Sydney, you could focus on the trains. You could set up the scenario like a model railroad, modelling the Inner West Line: Liverpool Via City Circle. Similar to Zimmlock's famous Peninsula World.

Though noone has made the K set or C set. :lol:
sshy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sshy »

Okay, so the person who was going to generate the landscape for me with the photo hasn't gotten back to me for some time...
Would anyone like to help me with this project? I require someone with the 'Landscape Generator' program to generate the landscape for me.

Landscape Generator -> http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=10713

I will provide the satellite image.
I would do it myself, however the program does not work properly on my mac not even through my VMware.
Anyone interested in helping me to get this project started PM me.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Do it in bootcamp...
sshy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sshy »

I'm not going to purchase a brand new copy of windows just to do this.
All my other computers in the house are macs.
LaSeandre
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by LaSeandre »

*cough cough* You can PURCHASE windows?! :P
uktrackbuilder_loco
Director
Director

Post by uktrackbuilder_loco »

sshy wrote:I'm not going to purchase a brand new copy of windows just to do this.
All my other computers in the house are macs.
Right just did a quickie build off the sat image I do hope you have a landscape image that is relief contoured and not that does not contain buildings, roads etc. The amount of noise in that image just produces a very broken landscape with nothing of note to it, in fact you can barely make out the harbour itself.

If you have a decent contour relief based image pm it to me and I'll do it asap
adelaide_obahn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by adelaide_obahn »

I created a Sydney map that I play. I have all the Sydney trains in it too.
alessandro
Engineer
Engineer

Post by alessandro »

Like someone else said, you need a terrain map, not a satellite photo, and the terrain map has to have a grayscale that's equivalent to the elevation of the terrain. Such maps aren't always easy to get a hold of, I used to have a program on my pc where you could browse world maps of this type. Are you still working on this map? If so I could try and look up where I got that.

Return to “Locomotion Scenarios and Saved Games”