Kicking Horse Pass (Downloads on first Post)

Got a nice scenario or saved game for Locomotion? Post it here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

bluebeetle
Chairman
Chairman

Kicking Horse Pass (Downloads on first Post)

Post by bluebeetle »

wiki.com

Kicking Horse Pass (el. 1627 m, 5339 ft) is a high mountain pass across the Continental Divide of the Canadian Rockies on the Alberta/British Columbia border, and lying within Yoho and Banff National Parks. The pass is of historical significance because the main line of the Canadian Pacific Railway was constructed between Lake Louise, Alberta and Field, British Columbia using this route in 1880s, in preference to the originally planned route through the more northerly Yellowhead Pass.

The pass was first explored in 1858 by the Palliser Expedition led by Captain John Palliser. The pass and the adjacent Kicking Horse River were given their names after James Hector, a naturalist, geologist, and surgeon who was a member of the expedition, was kicked by his horse while exploring the region.[1]

The original route of the CPR between the summit of the pass near Wapta Lake and Field was known as "The Big Hill"; with a ruling gradient of 4.5 percent (1 in 23), it was the steepest stretch of main-line railroad in North America.

Due to frequent accidents and expensive helper engines associated with railroading in the pass, the CPR opened a pair of Spiral Tunnels in 1909 that replaced the direct route. Although these tunnels add several kilometres to the route, the ruling grade was reduced to a more manageable 2.2 percent (1 in 46).

The Trans-Canada Highway was constructed through the pass in 1962 following essentially the original CPR route. It reaches its highest point at the Kicking Horse Pass with an elevation of 1,643 metres (5,390 ft).[2] The winding, narrow roadbed in this area is currently being upgraded to improve safety and capacity. [3]

Divide Creek, a creek that forks onto both sides of the Continental Divide, is located at Kicking Horse Pass.

It was made famous by Dave Broadfoot in the CBC Television series Royal Canadian Air Farce. Broadfoot played The Honourable Member for Kicking Horse Pass in the satirical series, and in his personal standup routines.

the map is done, and modded, the pass if you double track or use sidings is up to you. the pass floor is rough and will be a nice little challenge to build track. the only place you have to follow a path is at the spiral tunnels, i had no choice about that. the map starts at 1968 and you have to haul 200k tons of grain to win. there are industries on each side of the pass, enough to make you plenty of money to build through the pass, which will be expensive.

the landscape map needs the provo map mod, i used weeds and the buildings, etc. to make it look better.

the moded one needs:

Dekosoft BN Pack (Needs UP Pack) 1.0.5 - (6MB, EXE inside Zip)
Dekosoft UP, Provo Scenario and Mini Scenery Pack 1.0.5 - (24Meg, EXE in zip)

-grain, coal and goods cars are used from both sets.

North American Megapack 1.0.0 (Cargo, Amtrak, Classic Pass) - (98MB, EXE in ZIP)

butt load of engines and cars used from this, there is also via rail trains used from this pack.
Attachments
Kicking Horse Pass (Landscape).rar
(497.79 KiB) Downloaded 659 times
Kicking Horse Pass (Plastik Mods).rar
(551.96 KiB) Downloaded 619 times
Last edited by bluebeetle on 26 Dec 2008 01:33, edited 2 times in total.
bluebeetle
Chairman
Chairman

Re: Kicking Horse Pass (WIP)(in progress)

Post by bluebeetle »

wiki.com

The Big Hill "temporary" line was to remain the main line for twenty-five years, until the famous Spiral Tunnels were opened on September 1, 1909.

The improvement project was started in 1906, under the supervision of John Edward Schwitzer, the senior engineer of CPR’s western lines. The first proposal had been to extend the length of the climb, and thus reduce the gradient, by bypassing the town of Field at a higher level, on the south side of the Kicking Horse river valley. This idea had quickly been abandoned because of the severe risk of avalanches and landslips on the valley side. Also under consideration was the extension of the route in a loop northwards, using both sides of the valley of the Yoho river to increase the distance, but again the valley sides were found to be prone to avalanches. It was the experience of severe disruption and delay caused by avalanches on other parts of the line (such as at the Rogers Pass station, which was destroyed by an avalanche in 1899) that persuaded Schwitzer that the expensive solution of digging spiral tunnels was the only practical way forward.

The route decided upon called for two tunnels driven in three-quarter circles into the valley walls. The higher tunnel, "number one," was about one thousand yards in length and ran under Cathedral Mountain, to the south of the original track. When the new line emerged from this tunnel it had doubled back, running beneath itself and fifty feet lower. It then descended the valley side in almost the opposite direction to its previous course before crossing the Kicking Horse River and entering Mount Ogden to the north. This lower tunnel, "number two," was a few yards shorter than "number one" and the descent was again about fifty feet. From the exit of this tunnel the line continued down the valley in the original direction, towards Field. The constructions and extra track would effectively double the length of the climb and reduce the ruling gradient to 2.2%.

The contract was awarded to MacDonnell, Gzowski and Company and work started in 1907. The labor force amounted to about a thousand and the cost was about 1.5 million Canadian dollars.

Even after the opening of the spiral tunnels, Field Hill remained a significant challenge and it was necessary to retain the powerful locomotives at Field locomotive depot.

bluebeetle
Chairman
Chairman

Post by bluebeetle »

river area:

tunnel after the spirals:

NEcorridor
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by NEcorridor »

luv the idea of the map really interesting
I think I might have saw this before
ALAMEDA CORRIDOR Map (WIP)

It's been revived
bluebeetle
Chairman
Chairman

Post by bluebeetle »

enterance of the pass from the Calgary side, one side inside of the mout of the pass is treeless and the mouth is flat until you hit an bend then the climbing begins. the reason for this, it is hard to see here and makes building a little difficult if you have curve and climb.

the floor of the pass, besides where towns or industries will be placed is rough, the player knows which direction to build, but he the player lays and banks the tracks is up to the player.

bluebeetle
Chairman
Chairman

Post by bluebeetle »

small tunnel after the spirals, up to the player to bore through it.

where the future river begins, starts in a hidden location:

where the tunnels will be and you can see where the river will go:

bluebeetle
Chairman
Chairman

Post by bluebeetle »

here is an video of the spiral tunnels, i marked the head of the tunnels with black rock so you know where to enter and exit on both sides of the spiral. the spiral tunnels in real life are single track and i made them to be single track. make the loop in the tunnel long, due to the climb, if you make them short, loaded grain and coal trains could stall on the climb. making the spiral long in the tunnel will keep this from happening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ-tc2DJgbo
bluebeetle
Chairman
Chairman

Post by bluebeetle »

the map is done, and modded, the pass if you double track or use sidings is up to you. the pass floor is rough and will be a nice little challenge to build track. the only place you have to follow a path is at the spiral tunnels, i had no choice about that. the map starts at 1968 and you have to haul 200k tons of grain to win. there are industries on each side of the pass, enough to make you plenty of money to build through the pass, which will be expensive.

the landscape map needs the provo map mod, i used weeds and the buildings, etc. to make it look better.

the moded one needs:

Dekosoft BN Pack (Needs UP Pack) 1.0.5 - (6MB, EXE inside Zip)
Dekosoft UP, Provo Scenario and Mini Scenery Pack 1.0.5 - (24Meg, EXE in zip)

-grain, coal and goods cars are used from both sets.

North American Megapack 1.0.0 (Cargo, Amtrak, Classic Pass) - (98MB, EXE in ZIP)

butt load of engines and cars used from this, there is also via rail trains used from this pack.

bluebeetle
Chairman
Chairman

Post by bluebeetle »

kalvingp30fan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Kicking Horse Pass (Downloads on first Post)

Post by kalvingp30fan »

It says it doesnt have USTTX random numbers and names what is that?
Trainboy13
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trainboy13 »

By the look of it, it is a TTX car from one of Plastikman's sets.
kalvingp30fan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by kalvingp30fan »

I have all of Plastiks stuff I dont know why I wouldnt have that.
bluebeetle
Chairman
Chairman

Post by bluebeetle »

kalvingp30fan wrote:I have all of Plastiks stuff I dont know why I wouldnt have that.
no you don't :p

try these: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... t=umbrella

the rest are from the mega pack.
kalvingp30fan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by kalvingp30fan »

Thank you Blue Beetle, I completely for got to download that pack.
bluebeetle
Chairman
Chairman

Post by bluebeetle »

kalvingp30fan wrote:Thank you Blue Beetle, I completely for got to download that pack.
they are really nice cars, i use them all the time.
TrainKid1998
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by TrainKid1998 »

Blue Beetle i hope you dont mind me asking but could you post a saved game in a zip for us? I dont know much about how to build real railroads ad i was wandering if you could do that please.
Banned Member
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

um, there is a flaw in this map, the plains are so low that railroads cant be built
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Lighthouse
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: ´s-Hertogenbosch (AKA "The Duke´s Forest") , the Netherlands

Post by Lighthouse »

rdrdrdrd wrote:um, there is a flaw in this map, the plains are so low that railroads cant be built
You can go around that 'problem' by only using connecting track. Just start at a higher point and than connect tthe rails to a lower part of the map and work your way from there. I know it is not easy but if i can do it everybody can.

It was a fun map, Thanx. :D

Working my way through the pass was sometimes a bit of a puzzle but i managed it WITH!!!!! not so much bends en going up and down. I´ve made the whole track double track, incl the ´loop tunnels´. I know this is maybey not how the real railroad company´s work but I am the tycoon here , ghehe. :P . Completed it in 28 years. I started at the Vancouver site, not the best one if your goal is to win the scenario as fast as possible. After the Vancouver site was making money i started to go in the mountains. When i got through it then the Calgary site was next to be created.
When both sides where running i started a passenger run between Calgary and Vancouver but the trains have used so much time to go through the pass that after they arrive at the next station they totaly don´t make any money coming into my bank :?

I have one question. Why did you put the MOW trains in it? For what cargo can you actually use them? Later in the years there comes a whole bunch available.

Here some screeny´s from my routes.
Attachments
Vancouver area after completing the challenge.
Vancouver area after completing the challenge.
Screenshot8.png (210.1 KiB) Viewed 491 times
Calgary area after completing the challenge.
Calgary area after completing the challenge.
Screenshot9.png (243.06 KiB) Viewed 486 times
The tunnels and loops and bridges in the pass. All double tracked.
The tunnels and loops and bridges in the pass. All double tracked.
Screenshot10.png (287.99 KiB) Viewed 488 times
The only thing that is not very successful in the wireless version : Bungee Jumping 8o
Just fold at the dotted line and cut it out with a pair of scissors. If you are under the age of 16 please ask one of your parents or an adult supervisor if she/he can help you.
Image........................................................................................
ImageImage
Lighthouse
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: ´s-Hertogenbosch (AKA "The Duke´s Forest") , the Netherlands

Post by Lighthouse »

And three more screeny´s
Attachments
Screenshot11.png
map with industries + my routes
(290.52 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Screenshot12.png
map with landscape + my route through the pass.
(348.11 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
The coal loading area in the middle of the pass.
The coal loading area in the middle of the pass.
Screenshot13.png (270.94 KiB) Viewed 485 times
The only thing that is not very successful in the wireless version : Bungee Jumping 8o
Just fold at the dotted line and cut it out with a pair of scissors. If you are under the age of 16 please ask one of your parents or an adult supervisor if she/he can help you.
Image........................................................................................
ImageImage
kalvingp30fan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by kalvingp30fan »

MOW trains are basicly eye candy but i belive they care 20 tons of steel, lumber and paper, the flat cars and gondolas anyways.

Return to “Locomotion Scenarios and Saved Games”