[REL] Scenario: Calhadras Coal

Got a nice scenario or saved game for Locomotion? Post it here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

uktrackbuilder_loco
Director
Director

Re: [REL] Scenario: Calhadras Coal

Post by uktrackbuilder_loco »

Just some screenshots from the three times I have played this game on this machine, it is also on the computer I use with the flat screen TV although that just uses the default stock from the game
Attachments
Screenshot52.PNG
Screenshot52.PNG (133.22 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
Screenshot56.PNG
Screenshot56.PNG (106.05 KiB) Viewed 5127 times
Screenshot61.PNG
Screenshot61.PNG (132.33 KiB) Viewed 5127 times
bluebeetle
Chairman
Chairman

Post by bluebeetle »

this is another map i would love to update, anyone know if the author of this map is still around?

RD had me thinking about how we need more east coast maps, and this one came to mind to update, it just screams Pennsylvania to me.

now i also loved playing this map, hours of fun. but love to see it modernized :D
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

It is a good map, the only thing that would make it better is snow all over and smoothed terrian, but I don't know if he is around,
btw, this reminds me to work on the altoona map some :wink:
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

bluebeetle
Chairman
Chairman

Post by bluebeetle »

rdrdrdrd wrote:smoothed terrian
you mean in the pass itself?

i was thinking this would make a great sandpatch map. be neat to see some b&o, & chessie trains.
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

yeah, I see that, and also the pass should be widened so it doesn't look like crap when you build double track
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

C3805.
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by C3805. »

Big bump, but anyway this is to show some screenies from my Calhadras Coal save game. There is one big problem though: even after I modified the mountains significantly to have a pass running through, it is still very steep. I have 5 SD40-2s on a 20 tile coal and even they struggle, so be prepared to have lots of engines for the steep ascent.
Attachments
I finally saved up to buy the first in a series of trains serving the Calhadras mega mine.
I finally saved up to buy the first in a series of trains serving the Calhadras mega mine.
CHC_bigcoal1.png (248.36 KiB) Viewed 509 times
A medium coal train led by two GP30s snakes its way back to the mines.
A medium coal train led by two GP30s snakes its way back to the mines.
CHC_mediumcoal1.png (258.3 KiB) Viewed 508 times
An aerial shot showing the extent to which I modified the mountains, with Summit at the far right.
An aerial shot showing the extent to which I modified the mountains, with Summit at the far right.
Calhadras Bank.png (162.58 KiB) Viewed 513 times
str8jakett
Engineer
Engineer

Post by str8jakett »

A bit of a bump. Enjoyed playing this one as I normally opt for flat maps and multiple industries. I used the large station mod because I like the more realistic longer trains and loading loops.

26 trains service this lump of mines while five split between the other two closer mines. The flow is very smooth but I can't seem to get above 95% as no matter how many trains I add. They all seem to clump up and move as groups still leaving periods of time where there isn't a train loading at the station.

Mountain pass, the road was a boredom project when I connected the towns via roadway just to see what it would be like. I rarely use trucks or ships during a game so it was a new experience.

The power station and where most of my lines meet. I used to have one of the lines junction into the pass line but it was clogging a little so I split them up.

Last edited by str8jakett on 01 Jan 2010 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

str8jakett wrote:A bit of a bump. Enjoyed playing this one as I normally opt for flat maps and multiple industries. I used the large station mod because I like the more realistic longer trains and loading loops.

26 trains service this lump of mines while five split between the other two closer mines. The flow is very smooth but I can't seem to get above 95% as no matter how many trains I add. They all seem to clump up and move as groups still leaving periods of time where there isn't a train loading at the station.
That flaw is part of locomotion.

In my experience, It load balances all trains in the station. if you have a train mostly full, then an empty arrives, it seems to stop loading the full one until the empty is close to the same load and then fills both up at close to the same rate. Add more platforms, it balances the load among the added platforms.

I'm sure the large station mod makes it a worse because you can add more tracks to a station.

What i do to combat this is i tend to build the station with fewer platforms for loading. maybe 1 or 2 depending on the rate in which it fills the train and rotting goods. Then, i build a staging yard somewhere before the station that can store a few "extra" trains.

I tend to watch how many trains it takes to keep my station stocked up with trains while the rest are out making deliveries. for a map like this, you might need 20-30 trains for this run. depending on traffic jams and amount of goods the industry is producing.

This map is bit tricky also. if your "up ramps" are to close, you can end up with long back up of trains as the leading train is only doing 15mph uphill.

Ps.

Watch the table formating in non-screenshot threads. Try to use thumbnails or smaller images.

Not everyone is viewing these forums on a large monitor and broadband. we do have dial up, mobile device users and netbook users... Things like this kill them.
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
str8jakett
Engineer
Engineer

Post by str8jakett »

Plastikman wrote: That flaw is part of locomotion.

In my experience, It load balances all trains in the station. if you have a train mostly full, then an empty arrives, it seems to stop loading the full one until the empty is close to the same load and then fills both up at close to the same rate. Add more platforms, it balances the load among the added platforms.

I'm sure the large station mod makes it a worse because you can add more tracks to a station.

What i do to combat this is i tend to build the station with fewer platforms for loading. maybe 1 or 2 depending on the rate in which it fills the train and rotting goods. Then, i build a staging yard somewhere before the station that can store a few "extra" trains.

I tend to watch how many trains it takes to keep my station stocked up with trains while the rest are out making deliveries. for a map like this, you might need 20-30 trains for this run. depending on traffic jams and amount of goods the industry is producing.

This map is bit tricky also. if your "up ramps" are to close, you can end up with long back up of trains as the leading train is only doing 15mph uphill.

Ps.

Watch the table formating in non-screenshot threads. Try to use thumbnails or smaller images.

Not everyone is viewing these forums on a large monitor and broadband. we do have dial up, mobile device users and netbook users... Things like this kill them.
Thanks for the tips. Do you happen to have screen shots of your staging yards? I didn't think of using those but I have used the smaller/less platform stations before, but I didn't like the backups on the main lines that I normally use on maps. I think this current setup works great, it just isn't perfect.
m50005
Engineer
Engineer

Post by m50005 »

where did you get the large station mod from?.
just done a search and couldn't find it on here........................

M
teccuk
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by teccuk »

C3805. wrote:Big bump, but anyway this is to show some screenies from my Calhadras Coal save game. There is one big problem though: even after I modified the mountains significantly to have a pass running through, it is still very steep. I have 5 SD40-2s on a 20 tile coal and even they struggle, so be prepared to have lots of engines for the steep ascent.
That's the bit I always tunnel through, although i did manage once to make quite photogenic spiral tracks snaking up.

But as long as you're having fun :]
mmarvelstrain
Director
Director

Post by mmarvelstrain »

a little bump but this is AMAZING, i've never tried a scenario like this before though i'm doing BB's Sherman hill (just as amazing!)
Locomotion is kool with a capital k TM
Look what I Made (Name That Plane)
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=41042
planefun
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by planefun »

I just want to give a suggestion. I've never played this scenario and probably never will, but how about flying some planes over the montains between the two big cities? Or using the cargo planes from Paasky's planeset?
http://www.vaxv.myminicity.com
plz help my city grow
Plastikman's #1 Fan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Plastikman's #1 Fan »

To be honest, next to none of us use planes for anything. I never have. Most of us see the obvious benefits of rail transportation.
DO NOT FEED THE GENIUS!
Murphy was an optimist.
Plastikman Rules! All Hail the North American Cargo Pack!
robo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by robo »

Planes may be interesting for perishable goods like grapes or fish. For example, one could create a fishindustry at the seaside and activate Ai-Players to transport the fresh, perishable fish over the mountains to a big city by a special refitted plane (just to avoid that AI-players transport passengers and other things).
If the distance is far enough, it wouldn't be possible to transport fresh fish by train and make profit, but alternatively you could create a canning factory needing fish and steel to create canned fish, which can be transported over large distances by train with a profit to compete against the Ai-Players. :idea:
uktrackbuilder_loco
Director
Director

Post by uktrackbuilder_loco »

planefun wrote:I just want to give a suggestion. I've never played this scenario and probably never will, but how about flying some planes over the montains between the two big cities? Or using the cargo planes from Paasky's planeset?
I have always found that the planes and airports I use either make no money or just suffer more bugs ( the ghost plane circling forever doomed like the flying dutchman.)

The other point is that planes carry very little tonnage in relation to a train so ramping up a load of bethgons is easy as opposed to like 5 planes to shift the same amount which seems pointless.
Plastikman's #1 Fan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Plastikman's #1 Fan »

Same here. Planes, like boats and trucks, carry pitifully small amounts of cargo, and still don't even go where you want them to go - no matter what.
DO NOT FEED THE GENIUS!
Murphy was an optimist.
Plastikman Rules! All Hail the North American Cargo Pack!
bnsfnut
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bnsfnut »

If only they would realize this in real life :lol: .
C3805.
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by C3805. »

bnsfnut wrote:If only they would realize this in real life :lol: .
Ah Derp, trains can't swim, and a plane can get there in the tenth of a time it takes for a train.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

bnsfnut wrote:If only they would realize this in real life :lol: .
Sadly the real world isn't the size of a loco map!

Return to “Locomotion Scenarios and Saved Games”