Grey Scale Maps web site

Got a nice scenario or saved game for Locomotion? Post it here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Ravenone
Engineer
Engineer

Grey Scale Maps web site

Post by Ravenone »

Several people have asked about where they might get grey scale maps to use for Loco.

This site has lots of maps, originally for SimCity, but you can use them and crop/change resolution to use in Loco.

p.s. Check out the "How to make Regions" on the top left of the site for other links to tools and how to create bmps from USGS survey data.

http://www.rebel13.com/SimCity/Home.html
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Hmm... pity it's full of crappy American locations, the only real exception being "Middle-Earth". Perhaps Josef can take comfort in knowing that Saskatoon is there though :)
Ravenone
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ravenone »

Lol.

The challenge now is some nice clear steps on how to change them to work nicely with Loco. I'm struggling to get the right changes in Corel Photo to make the grayscale end up with the right levels in Loco. :(
Pedro
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pedro »

But where can we find them for outside the US?
BigVern
Engineer
Engineer

Post by BigVern »

Pardon me if I'm being thick here, but I didn't think it was possible to import greyscale into Lomo. If it is, might be worth pointing out that the RRT3 Map Builder (the seperate utility, not the in game editor) actually contains height data for the whole world and exports to greyscale. It is also possible to doctor DEM data in a programme called Microdem to ouput a greyscale image, albeit for the UK most of the DEM available is of fairly low resolution.
Chief Track Welder
ampz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ampz »

BigVern wrote:Pardon me if I'm being thick here, but I didn't think it was possible to import greyscale into Lomo.
Check out the stickied "Landscape Generator" and "Map Creator" threads in this forum section.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

BigVern wrote:albeit for the UK most of the DEM available is of fairly low resolution.
Mmm. It's a shame that the really good stuff is either owned by the OS, that want stupidly large sums of money (along with knowing how much you want, where you're using it, and what you plan on doing with the results), or is available for academic use only via Athens AMS.

Return to “Locomotion Scenarios and Saved Games”