Are lumber to paper mills impossible, or am I missing something?

Are you a beginner with Locomotion? Learn the basics here.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Batchman
Engineer
Engineer

Are lumber to paper mills impossible, or am I missing something?

Post by Batchman »

Just got this game on Steam, and am enjoying playing around with it, but have run into a few problems that I am still trying to figure out.

In one game I just started up, had a forest and a paper mill in fairly close proximity, and felt it would be a great way to start off. Problem is, the lumber and the paper are hauled on the same kind of train car, which means the train dropped off the lumber, immediately picked up the paper made from it, and carried it back to the forest station, which, of course, ignored it, meaning the train has no room to pick up more lumber, and is just running back and forth with the same load of paper on it, making me no money.

I know I am supposed to be able to force the forest to accept the paper, if I can manage to figure it out, but it would be far better not to pick it up in the first place, so I could leave the paper to be sent off to a book publisher, if I could ever find one in the area. Is there a way to tell it not to pick up the paper, or is it one of the non-solvable problems with the game?

Any help would be appreciated.
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Are lumber to paper mills impossible, or am I missing something?

Post by Simons Mith »

If a vehicle is filling itself up with unwanted cargo, add 'Leave empty' to the unload part of its orders.

This particularly applies to transfers, which is why the transfer order is 'Transfer and Leave Empty' by default. You've hit another case where you need the 'Leave Empty' bit. (You don't normally need to muck about with the more advanced orders at the very start of a game, but it can happen, as here.)

Or you could use 'Unload All' plus 'Load a specified cargo type' - and then specify wood - at the Forest end, but I'd advise leaving the paper at the paper mill.

[Edit - I belatedly noticed, this is Locomotion. What I said was OTTD advice. May not apply. Sorry.]
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

I've played a bit of Locomotion in the past and dealt with this issue. Because there isn't refiting in Locomotive like there is in OPenTTD You may want to set up your orders to Full load the cargo you want, and then at the other station Unload all cargo of what you want. In this case it'll be forced to do a Full load of Lumber and Unload all lumber at the paper mill and leaves as soon as that Unload order is fulfilled and the train leaves empty.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
mathwizi2005
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mathwizi2005 »

The paper will automatically be delivered to the paper mill station so using 'Unload all Lumber' is redundant at the Paper Mill and 'Unload all Paper' is redundant at the Printing Works.

What you CAN do is select the cargo you DON'T want on that route to 'Unload' so you use "Full load of Lumber' and then at the paper mill you select 'Unload all Paper'
This prevents the train from picking up the newly produced paper. This trick is also used for Grapes and Food since they share the same car as well.

Return to “Locomotion Beginners”