Building my own map.

Are you a beginner with Locomotion? Learn the basics here.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Dean3000
Engineer
Engineer

Building my own map.

Post by Dean3000 »

I build landscapes for my use in game but everytime I do it seems I never fully take advantage of the space left over after terrain/city/industry etc. placement. In a way they look too flat although I reserve the more 'rockier' aspects to the mines and such.

So basically, anyone got a hint they could lend me to help me out? thank you.
uktrackbuilder_loco
Director
Director

Re: Building my own map.

Post by uktrackbuilder_loco »

Dean3000 wrote:I build landscapes for my use in game but everytime I do it seems I never fully take advantage of the space left over after terrain/city/industry etc. placement. In a way they look too flat although I reserve the more 'rockier' aspects to the mines and such.

So basically, anyone got a hint they could lend me to help me out? thank you.

I would say you are half way there with your idea's, using the rockier aspects as you put it for mines can also be applied to forestry as that creates some steep gradient and tight curvature railway lines

As for not taking advantage of all your space, unless you limit the growth of your cities they are going to spread far and fast as you serve them, so leaving a corridor to run a railway between them is good practice, otherwises you'll end up butting heads with zero satisfaction ratings and your improved line hits a snag in terms of undemolishable buildings.

I've done long haul runs where I have 8 towns in all in the scenario and passenger services have to travel from one side of the map to the other and intersect with the various freight services, even to the point of sharing tracks and having junctions that require serious waypointing for a train not to get lost.

Its about enjoyment, there is no fixed value for the number of trains you need to run, you can have fun with very few trains if the challenges of providing them are sufficiently taxing enough to make you think " No sorry that's not to work like that, maybe if I try this instead?"
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Building my own map.

Post by Zakos »

If you're not using it already, you could use the Map Generator to make the landscape more interesting and fill in some of the "empty" spots. It doesn't work if you've already started the map though.

Tutorial here.

Return to “Locomotion Beginners”