Stop City Expansion

Are you a beginner with Locomotion? Learn the basics here.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Drengin
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Stop City Expansion

Post by Drengin »

Is there anyway to stop the cities from expanding past a certain point please?

I only ask as once i have all the basic infrastructure in place the cities grow so fast that they swamp everything. If they carry on growing at the rate they are i will soon be trying to run Coruscant!

Does it work creating a custom map with two islands and just putting the cities/towns on only one of them or are they still going to branch out using bridges?

Thanks
Drengin
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Stop City Expansion

Post by Drengin »

Thanks EDS.
Hopefully this will stop the mass expanse of the cities :)

I can see two versions available, the one you point to and one by Plastikman too. Do they both do the same thing?
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious »

The one from Plastikman is as far as I know a boundry marker which can only be used in the scenario-editor. The other one can be used in the game and can be selected in the editor under the roads-selection...

Just build a fence around a city and it won't expand that much, at least not until most buildings are build to the fullest...You just need to check it out for yourself.

I also use it if I want to have industries in some small block and not so big expanded...

Like the ones in the NAM Serpent in this screen:
Easy Version.PNG
(419.01 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
I first build that fence, then the industries within the fence, and removed the fence afterwards....

Good Luck !
Drengin
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Drengin »

Great thanks :)

Have installed and updated my scenario to include boundaries round the towns to hopefully keep them in-check from over expanding. Have to play-test it now to see if they do stop the expansion or if breaching the boundaries with stations, roads etc will allow the AI room to move past the boundary.

Thanks for the help and the heads-up EDS.
Drengin
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Drengin »

EDS Thanks buddy that looks to have solved the issue.
Took the population up to 87,000 and it did not breech the boundary. The only downside i can see is that if you remove one piece to put in a road to the outside the city expands along it. i guess the way forward on this is to have the central station for transport out (seen on picture in middle) and pasengers in, then build an underground network to bring in more goods if required.

Put the grain silo inside the city limits to produce food for the population without having to ship it in :)
Drengin
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Drengin »

Went ahead and played the scenario for a few decades and i found that if i build a road over the boundary fence and bring it down on the other side of it the AI will use the road to breach the boundary and will build on the other side. However if i run the road under the boundary then the AI does not breach the boundary. :)

So for new players wishing to use the boundary the following applies: -

Roads over the boundary = AI will extend city using the bridge.
Roads under the boundary = AI will not use the tunnel to extend the city.
Drengin
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Drengin »

Bah! Let it run for another few years and the damn AI did use the tunnel to breach the perimeter of the boundary fence. It would appear that the only way to cross the fence is with a train track.
Pottsy
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Pottsy »

Sorry that I am 2 months late. The way I would stop a city expanding is the one way road. Surround the city with it and the AI won't expand. Just ensure that it stays one way because LoMo automatically changes the road type with different types meet.
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56094 My screenshots.
Formally know as Pottanda
Pottsy
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Pottsy »

Me wrote:Sorry that I am 2 months late. The way I would stop a city expanding is the one way road. Surround the city with it and the AI won't expand. Just ensure that it stays one way because LoMo automatically changes the road type with different types meet.
You need to ensure that the 1 way road is consistent. sorry. no screen as LoMo is on the blink. but to enforcewhat I said, rememeber that if you cross an ordinary road with one way, the menu switches to ordinary road. So if you just keep clicking...
<= one way
-= two way
e=empty
before;

ee-ee
ee-ee
ee-ee

After;
ee-eeee
----<<<<<<<
ee-eeee

As I remeber AI didn't build off one way roads (or build any one way road for that matter)

Wrong;
ee-
<--<<
ee-

Right;
e-
e<
<<<<
e<
e-
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56094 My screenshots.
Formally know as Pottanda
Coen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Coen »

Hello,

I know that its a little late reaction but i found one other way to prevent the city to expaned.
Its very simple but maybe you can't use it everywhere. Lay water around the city. But be sure that the waterlevel is the same as the ground level.
If you build a road beside the water you can see that it will crossing the water but it never happend.

Coen

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6to4i22bxav1 ... shot11.BMP

In red city is trying to cross the water
in yellow are boundry markers the also prevending the city to expand
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Coen, thanks for the tip. It's a useful tidbit of information. Unfortunately, I think everyone who posted here has already finished the discussion because the last reply before yours was over 2 years ago.
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Greyfox »

Nope.....it hasn't finished. Take a look at this screenshot. It shows a one way street around the city, including under the station. I normally place about four trams on this street, two traveling one way, and two the other. (trams ignore one way street restrictions). together with other road vehicles within the city, it is profitable. This is the way I do it, and it works for me.
Attachments
Screenshot4.png
(568.91 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Windows 10 discussion here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72527
Looking for AMI trains, Chicago Locomotive Works, etc: You'll find your needs here: http://www.locomotiondepot.net/
Here's another: http://www.walter1940.de Lots of interesting stuff on this site, including tutorials.
Engineer

Post by Coen »

Hello,

Youre welcome, Zakos. I know its a little over time but this sollution i didn't found on the forum and i didn't want to keep it for myself. So thats the reason i posted it.

Greyfox, you got a nice way to keep the people where you want them to be. But i have a question about the one way road. Why can't the cross that type of road? And the other roads the can cross them where the like. Is it in the coding of the game or is it in the .dat file

I have a small problem about the fences. Sometimes the can't be removed. Don't know why first i thought it was the bus station but when i deleted it the problem stays.
Has someone the same problem with this?

Screenshot:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qay0u7ibu9up ... shot14.jpg
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I look at the Lake District for an example. Each of the towns resist expansion because the only road is in a complete, tight circle.
Coen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Coen »

Hello,
I found it. the different between the one way road and other roads. look at this:

<unknown name="field_B[1]" size="1">50</unknown>
<unknown name="field_B[2]" size="1">1</unknown>
<unknown name="field_B[7]" size="1">221</unknown>
<unknown name="field_B[8]" size="1">1</unknown>

At the one way road the number 221 is 220.
So if you change that line of every road from 220 to 221 the city doesn't expand. Maybe one minor point is that the road is acting liike a one way road.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdxty3fpxdhg5 ... shot15.BMP

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fccnpfy3f6dzp ... shot16.BMP

Coen

Return to “Locomotion Beginners”