Basic "Y" junction; can't get it to work right

Are you a beginner with Locomotion? Learn the basics here.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

ScottVal
Engineer
Engineer

Basic "Y" junction; can't get it to work right

Post by ScottVal »

Hello-
I'm trying to create a simple Y-shaped junction. I want trains to be able to move in either direction on all the track. I have put two bi-directional signals near the junction (in the top parts of the "Y", as close as possible to the junction).

Another way to explain this is: I have a station at the base of the "Y". I'm feeding the station with two lines which come together just prior to the station. I'm operating two trains, one on the line going off to the right and the other on the line going off to the left.

The signals essentially create three blocks, one for the line going off to the right, the other for the line going off to the left, and the other for the junction itself and the station.

I'll give the three blocks these names: (1) Upper right block, (2) upper left block and (3) station block. It's really quite simple. (I don't think a screenshot or picture is necessary.)

Wierd things happen, like a train in the uppoer left block will be heading toward the station and reach its signal, but then reverse for no apparent reason. (The other train is not in the station block.)

Another wierd thing is I can't pick up the train in the upper-left block and put it down in the station block, even though the station block is clear.

This leads me to believe there is some basic concept I'm not getting. Can anyone help?

Thanks.
-Scott
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Basic "Y" junction; can't get it to work right

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Got a screenshot? (In buildmode please so we can see the signal arrows.)
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
ScottVal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ScottVal »

OK, to illustrate my question I've created a simple junction and taken a screenshot of it. Actually, this junction seems to work fine; one train runs from the station at the bottom (Breakers Bridge) to the station at the upper left, and the other train runs from the Breakers Bridge to the station at the upper right. One train carries coal, and the other, iron ore.
Attachments
Screenshot2.JPG
Screenshot2.JPG (138.26 KiB) Viewed 4214 times
ScottVal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ScottVal »

Here I've made the railroad a little more complex, by adding a run from Breakers Bridge off to the right, for a train to deliver steel. I figured that I could add a bi-directional signal to the right of the Breakers Bridge station, and this would keep trains from colliding at (or near) that station.

However, when the train coming in from the right reaches the signal, it sometimes reverses direction and goes back the other way. This seems to be when there is already a train in the block to the left of the signal.

I would prefer that the train wait until the block is clear, and then proceed into the block (rather than reversing direction and going back).

The other trains would also sometimes reverse direction at the signals, so everything is out of whack now.

I realize that I could simply build another, separate station to pick up the steel, but this approach should save construction costs (if money is tight), and also illustrates what you can and cannot do with signals.

Thanks for your help. -Scott
Attachments
Screenshot4.JPG
Screenshot4.JPG (139.21 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

just use two tracks for that man :wink:
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

uktrackbuilder_loco
Director
Director

Post by uktrackbuilder_loco »

ScottVal wrote:Here I've made the railroad a little more complex, by adding a run from Breakers Bridge off to the right, for a train to deliver steel. I figured that I could add a bi-directional signal to the right of the Breakers Bridge station, and this would keep trains from colliding at (or near) that station.

However, when the train coming in from the right reaches the signal, it sometimes reverses direction and goes back the other way. This seems to be when there is already a train in the block to the left of the signal.

I would prefer that the train wait until the block is clear, and then proceed into the block (rather than reversing direction and going back).

The other trains would also sometimes reverse direction at the signals, so everything is out of whack now.

I realize that I could simply build another, separate station to pick up the steel, but this approach should save construction costs (if money is tight), and also illustrates what you can and cannot do with signals.

Thanks for your help. -Scott
Put two platforms in on using directional signals, not the uni directionals that allow reversible working or have two terminating platforms with one through road, what is happening is because you have created a situation where the train cannot process into the third block.

The set of uni directional signals you have put in past the station mean that block can be occupied and thus prevent any train from passing that point.

Return to “Locomotion Beginners”