Slow Trains and Overtaking

Are you a beginner with Locomotion? Learn the basics here.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

trickster144
Engineer
Engineer

Slow Trains and Overtaking

Post by trickster144 »

Hey guys

I been playing a loco quite a bit but im having problems with speeds of trains. In 2000 with the standard trains the fastest goods train can be is 50mph but the fastest passenger train is 186mph. This is fine when there on seperate lines but when cash is tight and space is limiting I have to run them on the same circuit. Has anyone got any good overtaking layouts where both trains do not need to slow down? All my passenger trains get stuck behind goods and long distance thats a lot of cash down the drain.
ash
Harbon 1
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Slow Trains and Overtaking

Post by Harbon 1 »

Put passing loops and waypoint the slow trains through them.
CN_Rail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CN_Rail »

Or go and download the sets at AMI Trains, the locos and train cars there are faster.
Toren Hynes
"Proudly Canadian"
If you happen to be using Trainz, you can get to me on the Trainz Discussion Forum under the username "TorenHynes"
Adam64♂
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Adam64♂ »

He could even edit the xml for the boxcar or the locomotives to go faster.
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

trickster144 wrote:Hey guys

I been playing a loco quite a bit but im having problems with speeds of trains. In 2000 with the standard trains the fastest goods train can be is 50mph but the fastest passenger train is 186mph. This is fine when there on seperate lines but when cash is tight and space is limiting I have to run them on the same circuit. Has anyone got any good overtaking layouts where both trains do not need to slow down? All my passenger trains get stuck behind goods and long distance thats a lot of cash down the drain.
LOL. welcome to the real world. this is what Amtrak experiences daily.
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
uktrackbuilder_loco
Director
Director

Post by uktrackbuilder_loco »

trickster144 wrote:Hey guys

Get on a passenger train service in the UK and watch lineside, at intervals you will see long passing loops laid out for the purpose you are talking about. They are there allow the higher speed passenger services to pass slower freight services that have been stopped on the loop for that purpose.
Its called the real world and is how real railways work so what you do is copy that with passing loops and waypoints.
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

also, there used to be a rumor that switching a train from "local" to "express" gave it priorities at junctions. I can not confirm this.
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
Adam64♂
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Adam64♂ »

I don't believe it does. I think all 'Local' and 'Express' do is make it so you either overpass stations or hit them all.
CN_Rail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CN_Rail »

Here's the true difference between local and express. In Local the trains stop at every station, weather or not it's on their schedule. That's great for a short-haul passenger train.
In express, the trains only stop at stations that are on their schedule. For example, if you have a coal-train running from a mine to a power station, and there are many small passenger stations for local trains along the way, always use express.
Besides, to make the express passenger trains faster, make dedicated tracks for them and run the freights on the local trains' tracks.
Toren Hynes
"Proudly Canadian"
If you happen to be using Trainz, you can get to me on the Trainz Discussion Forum under the username "TorenHynes"
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

its not like moneys hard to come by in loco lol, i end up building elaborate underground "escape routes" from my company HQ to a bunker some where with the fastest train avalible sitting there waiting to take us to saftey :P
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Return to “Locomotion Beginners”