Creatinng Sidings

Are you a beginner with Locomotion? Learn the basics here.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Krakr
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Creatinng Sidings

Post by Krakr »

Illegal_Alien wrote:Fun to see that you used a 3 track with the single ones instead of 2. (Wich isnt the case as topicstarter asked for, so my comment still stands.) ...
Nope. I ran it for several years (seven I think) with 2. It's clearly shown in the screenshots. Also, the siding was tried on both sides of the track at different times to see if it made a difference (visible in screenshots).
And, as explained in the post, the second siding (third track[?]) was added when the third train was added (Rule #1).
Illegal_Alien wrote:... And also the "must" part isnt right, you could technicly<sic> use signle<sic> and double although my experience is that double screws up the whole thing.
You spoke to me of "facts", but present none yourself. Only unsubstantiated opinion.

When I changed those two sidings to have one-way signals (shown in one of the screenshots) it seemed to work fine . . . for a while - at least several game months as I recall. But those two trains that ended up nose-to-nose just happened to approach the sidings at just the right speed, time, and distance for the inevitable to happen (as shown). There was NEVER a nose-to-nose confrontation with the 2-way signals. So my comment stands.
Corral those nutty peeps with a Boundary Fence
Replace wimpy steamer sounds with Steamer Sound Kit
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Double signals give me nose to nose and reverse each time.

Single signals doesnt as they are forced to use a siding the way they should use, and force them in the siding so they dont reverse.

And no need for screenshots because they can be faked. ;) (Not that i doubt about yours though.) But just use single signals to avoid problems.
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
CN_Rail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CN_Rail »

I usually simply make double tracks, though making passing tracks in hilly country, when the track is not used that much, makes sense. I've only done it once in my whole history of using Locomotion. (approx. 5 years). Maybe I'll do that more often in the future.
And in case your'e wondering, it worked, although I later made the track double to cope with increasing traffic.
Toren Hynes
"Proudly Canadian"
If you happen to be using Trainz, you can get to me on the Trainz Discussion Forum under the username "TorenHynes"
X.G.fr0sty
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by X.G.fr0sty »

If it works, it works... sweet; I was tought how to do sidings from playing TTD back in the days :mrgreen:
CN_Rail
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CN_Rail »

I have made lots more passing tracks over the past few days of using Locomotion in the Swiss Alps.
Toren Hynes
"Proudly Canadian"
If you happen to be using Trainz, you can get to me on the Trainz Discussion Forum under the username "TorenHynes"
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

CN_Rail wrote:I have made lots more passing tracks over the past few days of using Locomotion in the Swiss Alps.
Errr great. STOP spamming topics.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious »

Wouldn't it be just much simpeler to build a 2-way tracks next to each other ? I do that all the time, it's much easyer one track for each way and it can handle more traffic without slowing down ?

Just like this:

Code:
--- = Track
<> = Signals

<--------------------------------<----------------------------<
>-------------------------------->---------------------------->

I find this the best way...but who am I ? That's just me...
Opan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Opan »

Most people do, but for those who might need cost saving efforts can use the siding tactic. Or for realism, because not all lines run double track, because its expensive, especially in a huge country like Canada or the US.
uktrackbuilder_loco
Director
Director

Post by uktrackbuilder_loco »

I would just like to say in only one scenario did I use single track with passing loops and I always used one way signals at the entrance and exit of the loop without any issue's of trains turning back, etc. The answer is to put in as many loops as I could ie two or three per division between stations so that on the longer hauls I had sufficient passing space without having to double track at a greater expense in somewhat mountainous terrain
Attachments
As shown frequent passing loops
As shown frequent passing loops
Screenshot7.PNG (76.14 KiB) Viewed 3188 times

Return to “Locomotion Beginners”