Train Yards

Are you a beginner with Locomotion? Learn the basics here.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Train Yards

Post by rdrdrdrd »

yes... it makes it a challenge, and it looks A LOT better to have a mix of long unit freight and mixed freight trains going across the map, the trick is to have small loads force unload at the yard and have the long train pick it up and drop it at another yard and then have small loads taken to the industries
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Redimus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Redimus »

This is reasonably relivent, so I'll ask it here, why are 'route through' points so rubbish? I mean, you tell it to go on that track, and there's no reason it shouldnt, yet everys so often, a train *will* go the other way, normally cuasing it to get stuck and cuase a bung up, or causing it to get permalost (until I come along, notice it isnt making any money and put it back where it should be).
Warning: Subject has been known to show the kind of mental agility that would make Locomotion's AI blush.
Vimpster
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vimpster »

I think its because, depending on where you choose to place waypoints, the train will sometimes not have immediate access to the waypoint because a train or other vehicle is in the path so they choose another route. But because they never made it to the waypoint they are still going to try to get there even if they went around it or something.

An example would be if you had two tracks going the same direction and the train could choose which one to take but you have given the train a waypoint on one of the lines. In this case if the line the train has a waypoint on is being used by another train then they may choose the other train line that the waypoint is not on. This would result in them passing the waypoint and having to back track to the waypoint before they could continue on to their main destination.

If you can show a screenshot of where this is happening in your game in a new thread perhaps someone can identify for you where this might be happening.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

If you lift a section of track before a waypoint, trains can easily loose it. I tend to find that after a while trains seem to follow them pretty reliably however. Also introducing other junctions can cause confusion.
Redimus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Redimus »

Oh I relaise the basic mechanics of what's happening. Im just wondering *why* they have been programmed to behave in such a manner (and if there's a simple way to solve it).

And yes, modifying the local tracks and adding further junctions does confuse the issue. And it isnt a masivly reguler occourence, but when you are running upwards of 20+ trains over one interconnected network, the chances of the odd train going the wrong way get big enough to become at the very least a real annoyance.

Ive recently been playing Transport tycoon again (wel, TTD, with TTPatch and OTTD and all the other stuff) and have marveled at the reasonably inteligent route planning of the trains compaired to Locomotion. Now this could be becuase I havnt gotten as far as building *really* complex layouts, but on railways where I'd have expected issues on Lomo, I havnt gotten em on TTD, is that just becuase of all the improvments made to it, or is it because Lomo really is that much stupider?
Warning: Subject has been known to show the kind of mental agility that would make Locomotion's AI blush.
ashchetum
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ashchetum »

I've always had problems with the locomotion ai track-finder, but I never made enough money on ottd to get a complex network... :(
Props to the devs of OpenTTD, you guys make magic!
Redimus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Redimus »

At the moment, on my current OTTD game, the trains are few enough and slow enough that I can get away with strait flat junctions. But I know there's already a few junctions Lomo would have issues with (and at the bare minimum need a waypoint) which I havnt had to worry about.
i8thefat1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by i8thefat1 »

No matter what i do most of my yards make the trains stop at signals for no reason my friend and I have checked them over and over but we dont find any problems the Game just seems to have trouble finding its way back to the station it began at. its really just dumb because most of the time it is my iron ore or coal train and it has the 1st exit from the mmain system. the trains also all seem to want to go to the same track and ignore the 6 other perfectly good stations. X(
You got a problem?
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

i8thefat1 wrote:No matter what i do most of my yards make the trains stop at signals for no reason my friend and I have checked them over and over but we dont find any problems the Game just seems to have trouble finding its way back to the station it began at. its really just dumb because most of the time it is my iron ore or coal train and it has the 1st exit from the mmain system. the trains also all seem to want to go to the same track and ignore the 6 other perfectly good stations. X(

post a screen shot in a new thread asking for help.. It might be an obvious error.
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
i8thefat1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by i8thefat1 »

what keyboard button do i hit to take a screenshot?
You got a problem?
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

ctrl-s i belive
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
i8thefat1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by i8thefat1 »

wow i took 4 screenshots and i cant find them in my loco folder why is it not there it should be!
You got a problem?
kalvingp30fan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by kalvingp30fan »

Are you using vista?
i8thefat1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by i8thefat1 »

yea and im too used to the old windows so i still havent figured everything out yet
You got a problem?
noofnoof
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by noofnoof »

What he means to say is, I foyu are using windows, and you can't find the screenshots, it's because they are in a compatibility folder. I f you go to "C:\program files\atari\locomotion" up the top of that window should be a button that says "compatibility files". go there. srsly.

Return to “Locomotion Beginners”