Impossible to earn money

Are you a beginner with Locomotion? Learn the basics here.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

davva
Engineer
Engineer

Impossible to earn money

Post by davva »

Hi everybody!

I might be new here, but wouldn't say I am a Transport Tycoon noob. Altough can't make profit in Locomotion. I played TTD like 10 years ago, now gone back to the good old virtual transport business with Loco. On the first map (a small island) I av built some dirt roads to connect industries, and 9 trucks to run between them. Despite the vehicles are profitable (like 30 Euros per month) after every end of the month I have some enormous costs. So my money gets smaller every month, no hope for profit. This game is whether unplayable (some said it is easy, well, maybe with a cheat) or I have a huge bug in it. I am using the newest patch. Is it like normal, or there is some hint I am missing?

thanx: Davva
Xrufuian
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Impossible to earn money

Post by Xrufuian »

The answer is simple, don't use trucks, they are not as profitable as trains.

For Boulder Breakers, for your start, just have one train between the coal mine [or the iron ore mine], and the steel mill. As you gain cash, increase transit of the cargo.

Do it right, you can complete the scenario within three [game] years.
Loco Man
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Loco Man »

Best way to start any scenario is to use trains to transit passengers and/or coal. Only use Buses or Pass. Ships (Fast ones, if they are slow, make a short route.) if they will be loaded to the brim with people.
Just trying to make a living in this world...

And apparently making a living also includes playing locomotion.
Projects: Military Cycle
uktrackbuilder_loco
Director
Director

Post by uktrackbuilder_loco »

davva wrote:Hi everybody!

I might be new here, but wouldn't say I am a Transport Tycoon noob. Altough can't make profit in Locomotion. I played TTD like 10 years ago, now gone back to the good old virtual transport business with Loco. On the first map (a small island) I av built some dirt roads to connect industries, and 9 trucks to run between them. Despite the vehicles are profitable (like 30 Euros per month) after every end of the month I have some enormous costs. So my money gets smaller every month, no hope for profit. This game is whether unplayable (some said it is easy, well, maybe with a cheat) or I have a huge bug in it. I am using the newest patch. Is it like normal, or there is some hint I am missing?

thanx: Davva

Always Trains to haul freight and passengers, try and select short routes and keep the trains small as to minimise turn around times for waiting for a full load of cargo.

But for a quick return layout tram networks, but be prepared to watch the size of your urban area's rocket quickly so the best thing is to lay out large railway stations in advance.

That way you do not destroy your rating with the local authority and have to plant loads of tree's to get it back
Logistics_4_Fun
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Logistics_4_Fun »

For Boulder Breakers I used a combination of Buses and a Train to reach my 10% In most scenarios, trucks wont become profitable untill around the 1950s-1960s. By then there are updated models that can carry more freight faster.

The more cargo you carry, and the farther you carry it, the higher your rating will climb. Faster cargo deliveries will earn you more profits and also help your rating. Good luck in your Game.
Twiggy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Twiggy »

Logistics_4_Fun wrote:The more cargo you carry, and the farther you carry it, the higher your rating will climb. Faster cargo deliveries will earn you more profits and also help your rating. Good luck in your Game.
I'll elaborate on that a bit: A small amount of cargo transported a short distance will attract a higher price-per-unit than a 20 carriage train travelling the length of the map. The timer starts the moment the first unit of cargo is loaded. It's a matter of finding a healthy balance between amount of cargo (in one load) and distance travelled. Have a look at the Cargo Graph (i can't remember in the game where it is), and check the rate of decay (It's worked out by days in transit x distance travelled).
Correct me if I'm wrong please, but I hope this helps.
[WIP] QLD Sugar Cane Set
[WIP] Another Aussie project...
CanAm - This ride is unsuitable for pregnant women, children under the age of 16 and whimps.
noofnoof
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by noofnoof »

wadeo1984 wrote: Have a look at the Cargo Graph (i can't remember in the game where it is)
If you hover over the company face in the bottom left hand corner of the screen there is an option of "Company Index" or something like that where you can compare companies and one of the tabs in that pane shows the payment graphs. Again, I hope this helps
Twiggy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Twiggy »

It's in the same area as that... Not the one I was thinking about though... My apologies, its from TTD...
[WIP] QLD Sugar Cane Set
[WIP] Another Aussie project...
CanAm - This ride is unsuitable for pregnant women, children under the age of 16 and whimps.
Glowin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Glowin »

hmmm im playing boulder breakers now 3 - rail lines from each town and nearly over 100k profit. :D

now i just need this tool to stop my buses breaking down lol :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
kalvingp30fan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by kalvingp30fan »

wrong place wrong topic/
Glowin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Glowin »

sorry??
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Glowin wrote:hmmm im playing boulder breakers now 3 - rail lines from each town and nearly over 100k profit. :D

now i just need this tool to stop my buses breaking down lol :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Stop asking in unrelated topics.
Stop using so many smilies.
Go read the forum rules.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
chevyrider
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by chevyrider »

Glowin wrote:hmmm im playing boulder breakers now 3 - rail lines from each town and nearly over 100k profit. :D

The first line is on topic, see earlier posts.
The second is not a question just a remark to him self.

So please be polite to the guy.
-
-
39 years experience with trains and still driving.
-
-
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Chevy just look at his post history and you know why. And ban that [beeep] :bow: icon... At the new guy, try the best tool ever...
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...

Return to “Locomotion Beginners”