Performance index calculation

Are you a beginner with Locomotion? Learn the basics here.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Javvo
Engineer
Engineer

Performance index calculation

Post by Javvo »

Hello everybody,

I'm quite new to Locomotion, and the thing I don't understand very well is how the performance index is calculated.

Sometimes I see the computer get a high performance very fast and using only a few vehicles. What is it based upon? Monthly benefit? Company value?

I think that this information will help me a lot to beat the Aerophobia scenario - It's killing me, I'm always stuck in a performance of around 40%.

Thank you.

Javvo
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Performance index calculation

Post by rdrdrdrd »

I think it is vehicle efficiency, such as if you have 1 train and make 100,000 a month, you get a higher index than if 10 trains make 500,000 a month
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

NEcorridor
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by NEcorridor »

it also depends on what kind of cargo is being transported since some cargo types help you make more of a profit like oil and coal
ALAMEDA CORRIDOR Map (WIP)

It's been revived
Javvo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Javvo »

Thank you for your answers.

Anyway I think there must be something else. If that was all, you should only choose your most profitable vehicle and sell all the others. That would arise your average profit from vehicles...

More ideas?

Javvo
uktrackbuilder_loco
Director
Director

Post by uktrackbuilder_loco »

Javvo wrote:Thank you for your answers.

Anyway I think there must be something else. If that was all, you should only choose your most profitable vehicle and sell all the others. That would arise your average profit from vehicles...

More ideas?

Javvo
Pure Guess
combination of cargo delivered as a % of the total available, then cargo ( food etc processed goods onwards, passengers and mail again as a total of the % available.
Coupled to earnings against interest payments and loans and then with the value of the company thrown in.

So in other words you are looking to deliver the most cargo in the shortest time using the highest value stock and earning the most money against the least depreciation/interest charges.

The key is to maximise income against expenditure so cut out the bank loans sharply and rely on generated revenue to fund further development.
jt_55
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jt_55 »

Read da manual, plz and ty.
Chris Sawyer's Locomotion Manual wrote:Performance Index
Your Performance Index constantly monitors your proficiency. A high Performance Index shows that you are doing a good job. A low rating indicates that your efforts are not providing for the needs of the towns and people who are depending on you. This rating figures prominently in the goals for many of the scenarios.

Your Performance Index is expressed as both a percentage and a Corporate Rating. The Corporate Ratings that correspond to each percentage score are listed in the following table.

...(table)...

Your Performance Index is continuously updated and shown on the Status Display. When a green up-arrow appears next to the rating, your score is on the rise. When a red down-arrow is next to the rating, the Performance Index is dropping. This statistic is calculated based on two factors:

- Monthly Units of Cargo Delivered x Delivery Distance: The amount of cargo you successfully deliver every month multiplied by the distance the cargo was delivered.

- Monthly Vehicle Profit/Loss: Positive cash flow with regard to your vehicles leads to a higher rating. Vehicles whose operating costs exceed their income detract from your rating.

Each of these factors accounts for 50% of you Performance Index. You can monitor these statistics and compare your statistics to those of other companies on the Companies List (see "Companies List" on page 82 for details).

The performance Index is calculated exponentially, so doubling the number of unitls of cargo you deliver every month doesn't necessarily double your rating. The higher your rating, the more difficult it is to increase the rating even further. In other words, expect large increases early in the game, and proportionally slower increases as the game progresses.

If you see your Performance Index dropping, check the profitability of you vehicles and cargo routes and eliminate those that are losing money. Also, check the supply and demand at various stations and passenger stops, and establish new cargo and passenger routes in areas that aren't adequately served.
Javvo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Javvo »

Thank you, next time I'll start by reading the manual. :roll:

Return to “Locomotion Beginners”