Locomotion Multiplayer - Need Help

Are you a beginner with Locomotion? Learn the basics here.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

mb94
Engineer
Engineer

Locomotion Multiplayer - Need Help

Post by mb94 »

hi
I tried playing multiplayer with my friend, but it doesn't seem to work. We both open Locomotion, and I host game, he joins. He searches my IP, that doesn't find anything. He searches my computer name, that doesn't find anything. He doesn't type in anything, and that also doesn't work. T
hen I join, he hosts, and we try all that again, and it still can't find anything. We've both unblocked locomotion (the firewall blocked it). Are we doing something wrong?
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Locomotion Multiplayer - Need Help

Post by Plastikman »

uhh is this on a lan or over the internet?
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
mb94
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mb94 »

lan (i think... just directly through locomotion, not gamespy)
Hammo
Director
Director

Post by Hammo »

mb94 wrote:lan (i think... just directly through locomotion, not gamespy)
Judging by the "I think", you may not be as computer literate as plastik may be, so I'll rephrase the question to you:

have you linked the computers directly using a cable or network, or are you using an internet connection to communicate?

Without having any experience with multiplayer in locomotion, I can at best try and help you out.

If you're using a network or direct computer connection, you'll first have to make sure that the two computers can communicate properly - if you can share files, then you're set. If you've unblocked locomotion from the firewall and still encounter difficulties, you may consider temporarily disabling the firewall whilst you play, or even better, if anyone knows which ports it uses, you could open them up in the firewall.

If, however you're using an internet connection, one of the most likely causes could be using the wrong ip address. I've heard may anecdotes regarding using the wrong ip address to connect over the internet. Quite often, people may use their network ip address to try and connect over the internet, which will not work. You would need to find out your computer's ip address in relation to the internet. If you're using a usb modem, windows may display this, I'm not entirely sure. You may need to connect to your modem or router to access that information (which I've always had to). If you've still got no luck, try the networking solution. If you're not sure about leaving your firewall down, try it only to connect. If you succeed, you know it's a firewall issue. If you've still got no luck, there's a connection issue somewhere, not the firewall.

I hope this helps somewhat, as again, I've never used locomotion multiplayer.
demontrain
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by demontrain »

If you are using linksys the default ip address would be 192.168.1.101 for one computer and 192.168.1.102 for the other. use the easy link setup tool to verify.. If your not using a linksys router I am sorry but I can't think of what would be wrong or a way to fix it with the info you showed.
Hammo
Director
Director

Post by Hammo »

that is the same for most network cards. But that is only for local networks. IF you were connecting over the internet, your ip would be very different.

And I think the default network ip addresses start at 192.168.0.100 - but again, it may depend on the card or software that you're using. Any additional information that you can supply would be of great help.
mb94
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mb94 »

Hammo wrote:that is the same for most network cards. But that is only for local networks. IF you were connecting over the internet, your ip would be very different.

And I think the default network ip addresses start at 192.168.0.100 - but again, it may depend on the card or software that you're using. Any additional information that you can supply would be of great help.
Well I'm not sure what else I could say.... Hmmmm. I'm connecting to someone via internet, who is in a different location to me. I set my time-out to 60 seconds, but it only tries for about 5 (seconds). When I go to host, it never times out. Not sure if thats a problem though. Anything else you need?
:)
Hammo
Director
Director

Post by Hammo »

I'm not sure, but the time-out may not be to do with setting up a connection, but rather to do with connection drop-outs when you're actually playing, but I can't be certain.

So just make sure that the person hosting sets that up first before the other tries to connect. And I'll assume that you're both on the internet to begin with. This probably leads to two possible causes, either you're:

a) - trying to connect with the wrong ip address
b) - a firewall is blocking the ports required by locomotion to play over the internet.

Solution:

a) - you will need to [both] obtain your correct ip address. If your modem is connected directly to your computer, I think windows will display your ip address. Otherwise, you'll have to access the modem settings either by any software or by entering the modem's ip address into your internet browser.
If you connect to the internet through a network, you should be able to obtain your ip address from your router [or modem], again by any software or entering the router's [or modem's] ip address into your web browser

b) - the best way to confirm this is to both turn off your firewalls briefly whilst you try to connect. If you can, you know that there is a firewall issue. REACTIVATE YOUR FIREWALL. You will have to open the following ports on your firewall: 6073, 2032-2400.
Note: you may have multiple firewalls present, and these ports may need to be opened in all of those. These firewall may be in the form of software, or hardware (your ruter or modem may have an inbuilt firewall, for example).

That's about it, I hope it helps. Let us know how you go with that, so we can help further if we need to.
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

Whoa! Just stop now!

Ok multi player over the internet is not that simple. Unless you both have public IP addresses on your PCs. This Would mean both PC's are plugged directly into the modems (unless Your ISP assigns you a block of IP addresses, is very unlikely for a residential setup since they would have to give You at least 2, one for the router and one for the PC).

There are all sorts of other work arounds if You have a router on your modem. such as port forwarding and VPN set ups. We wont go into that....

simple safe solution.... hamachi https://secure.logmein.com/products/ham ... sp?lang=en The free version is all you need... this what most of people that play lomo over the internet do.
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
Hammo
Director
Director

Post by Hammo »

ok, ok. As I said, I've never played locomotion over the net. That's just what I've done when playing other games in the past.
demontrain
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by demontrain »

Good answer Plastikman for over the internet. The info I gave was for the lan setup which he said he thought he used.
Anyways good link. forgot the address for logmein... kept thinking t was another site.
mathwizi2005
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mathwizi2005 »

i no this is old but 4 reference

make sure both of u hv the same file versions 4 all ur dat files (aka same mod versions)
i had this prob and this solved it

Return to “Locomotion Beginners”