Missing or inaccessible file data

Got problems with Locomotion? Find assistance here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

DribbleweedDynasty
Engineer
Engineer

Missing or inaccessible file data

Post by DribbleweedDynasty »

I attempted to get into Locomotion mods yesterday and downloaded the Sherman Hill scenario and all the required mods. When I tried to play it, it told me I was missing an Australian iron ore set of some sort. I forgot what happened between then and my current issue, but on my next time loading Locomotion, it gave me this prompt.
Locomotion issue.png
Locomotion issue.png (16.07 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Now, I use a cracked Locomotion EXE file and a hack to play the game in windowed mode. Normally, the game would just start as normal, but now it won't let me proceed unless I fill out the prompt, which acts like I need my CD. The only way I could think of to open the game was to enter my Locomotion directory, but that just crashed the game before it could load. I did end up attempting to run it from a CD, but of course that didn't work either. I tried removing potentially faulty data files and scenarios (as another had this issue caused by a corrupt Boulder Breakers), all to no avail. I also can't see anything in the prompt window aside from the area in the image I posted.

My last-ditch effort was to copy an old working Locomotion install from another computer and place the cracked EXE and window mode files into the working install. I still got the error, leading me to think either my EXE or my window files were corrupt. I had my little brother send me his own EXE and DLL files from his unmodded installation, only for them to not work as well! The final straw was restarting the computer, which didn't work either.

So if even a copy of Locomotion which works fine on another computer can't run on this one, what is the problem? Is it in the registry? That's all I can think of at this point. Help is most appreciated!

EDIT- I tried a system restore as a last-ditch effort and even that didn't work. I'm honestly at my wit's end here. I could really use some help.

EDIT 2- I got it to work by completely both removing the main Locomotion directory (and making a backup) and the old copy, copying the old one again, and pasting everything in piece by piece. In other words, I essentially reinstalled the game. Keeping this thread up so others can use it as a resource.

Return to “Locomotion Problems, FAQs and Tutorials”