Unable to start game

Got problems with Locomotion? Find assistance here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Gailen
Engineer
Engineer

Unable to start game

Post by Gailen »

Hi, first off i'll say i'm new to the forums but not to Locomotion. Here is the issue. I installed and downloaded off of Atari's main website. After installation game read this error code "Unable to initialize graphics system" which is fine its not my first download of the game (but for this computer it is) so I downloaded the patch 1.76 off of owen's depot which usually solves the problem and I just play away. But instead I get an error code "No CDROM Drive detected" Now this sucks because my computer I never built with a CD drive (since EVERYTHING is downloadable nowadays). Any help would be appreciated, I have the game on steam itself but unfortunately some applications (mods)can't be installed because it can't find it in steams folder area hence why I bought the ATARI version, less program files to jump through that and no workshop support. Before anyone asked 1. yes I've tried resolution changing (doesn't matter if the error code persists anyways) 2. Yes I have the latest version of DirectX 3. OS is Windows 10 x64bit (program files x86) 4. Yes my computer can handle whatever this game can throw at it (then again that's no issue for anyone else who mods). I'd post whats in it but that can be said in another post. So the main problem right now is the Error code "No CDROM Drive detected" when I don't have a CD Drive and the game was initially downloaded :|
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Unable to start game

Post by Greyfox »

Hello Gailen, and welcome to the forums.

Your problems are common with Locomotion. First of all, I suggest you read this: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=71186 very carefully. Some of the tips shown may work with Windows 10 also.

I have Lomo installed also on my laptop with Win 10. It worked, except for the fact it would not work with addons or mods. So I set the "Lomo.exe" to compatabillity mode and set it to "Windows XP SP2, and any other executable file that I am using within the game. It now works just fine.

As for "cannot find CD", this is a somewhat "grey area". Depending on the laws of your country, it can be illegal to use a "no cd crack". If it is legal where you are, then you must be in possesion of the original CD whilst playing the game. If you haven't already done so, I suggest you check some retail outlets for a hard copy of the game. It should be quite cheap. If you can purchase a copy, then uninstall Lomo, and reinstall from the disc, and follow my tips in the link shown above. Try Amazon.com or GOG, or even eBay, you may just find what you are looking for. (you'll have to get yourself a CD drive. I assume you would have other uses for it anyway).

Just another point, I'm using Directx 11 on a 64 bit machine.

Good luck.

Regards.
Windows 10 discussion here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72527
Looking for AMI trains, Chicago Locomotive Works, etc: You'll find your needs here: http://www.locomotiondepot.net/
Here's another: http://www.walter1940.de Lots of interesting stuff on this site, including tutorials.
Engineer

Post by Gailen »

As stated before it was a
purchased downloadable copy on Atari's own website
. I do not have a CD drive, I foresee no use for them as everything is downloadable. Ive already been through those tops as well and none of them really gave a proven solution. A hard copy would not be effective in my situation unless I add a CD Drive to my tower.
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious »

Maybe you should contact Atari directly about it...Don't you have an old computer around the corner ? You mention that it's not your first download, so you did it before on another pc. I play Locomotion on my laptop and I'm still on Windows 7 and it's fine with Locomotion (apart from the rainbow-color problem every now and then), but I also have another pc in my dent.

That pc is a very old one wich still has XP on it, and let's face it...XP was the best operating system for games like Locomotion, Rollercoaster Tycoon, The Sims and MSTS...So I play these games sometimes on that one as well. I think most of us do have an old souped up pc in their basement or something :mrgreen: and it's a fact that with every upgrade windows does, tjose games are more harder to play :wink:

To qoute on Greyfox:
Greyfox wrote:Depending on the laws of your country, it can be illegal to use a "no cd crack". If it is legal where you are, then you must be in possesion of the original CD whilst playing the game
I don't think that Gailen needs a "No-CD crack, as it was downloaded from the Atari-website and he also has a Steam-version. But I must admid that Greyfox is right. I dislike those games that you must download nowadays, I rather have the product in my hand, so I can install it anytime I want and don't need internet for it. After that I can choose for myself if I wan't to use a "No-CD crack" as I did for Locomotion because I play the game with the long station patch...

Good luck on that...

Regards,

Erik
Gailen
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gailen »

You think there might be a way if I delete the cdrom requirement file (backup obviously if it doesn't work)?
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious »

You could try that, it is possible with Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 as I tried that before...For RCT2 I used this method and it worked. I don't know if it works for Locomotion, but maybe you could try this method as well:

Step 1. Find your installation files (from the CD or the download)
Step 2. Use 'CTRL + A' (=select all) to select all files.
Step 3. Choose a map on your pc, which you don't accidentely delete (for example, put it in "my Documents")
Step 4. Use 'CTRL + V' (=paste all) to paste all the files in the new location on your hard drive, you now have all the CD (or download)files from your CD on your pc.
Step 5. Open the new folder with the files, select the 'Setup.exe'
Step 6. Run the 'Setup.exe' from the HDD location, and not from the CD or download.
Step 7. Install the game with your preferred settings.
Step 8. If all went right, you know have your game installed.
Step 9. Leave the CD files on your HDD, it's about 500 MB, so that's relatively nothing nowadays.
Step 10. Run your game, play the game, and built awesome tracks.

Please let me know if it works...

Regards,

Erik
Awesometrains
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Awesometrains »

My game works fine without the CD. If a specific component of Locomotion is causing this error , I'll send you my version of that.
Qa'pla!

Return to “Locomotion Problems, FAQs and Tutorials”