Track sharing.

Got problems with Locomotion? Find assistance here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Goldsmith
Engineer
Engineer

Track sharing.

Post by Goldsmith »

Hi

Searched and searched, Found nothing. Is it possible to Mod/change/edit Locomotion to have multiple companies running/sharing the same track?
I play alooot of multiplayer on Locomotion and Railroad Tycoon 3 via LAN but 1 thing that I like Railroad 3 over Locomotion is that other companies are able to run on your track for a price. We can share neutral roads in Locomotion is it possible to have it edited to track?

Kind regards
Jay.
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Track sharing.

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious »

I don't think that's possible...But you can do a lot with editing and I have learned a lot. It is possible to code vehicles so they can run on a new tracktype, but I have never heard of anybody who let a rival company letting vehicles run on their track. Maybe that's coded in the exe of the game, since that things is running the whole game (but of course you know that editing the exe is illegal, at least illegal to share at the forums)...I think it's a good question as it is never been tried before, but I'll go and try to find it, and if I do able to find anything I'll let you know...
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

The closest you can do is overlap the standard and narrow gauges, but that's still only within your own company. The inability to cross with a competitor is hard-coded into the files, and you'll notice that it takes roads a while to "neutralize" as well.
Goldsmith
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Goldsmith »

Hmm... Interesting, Sounds like a challenge if it is possible at all. Thanks for the replies.
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Zakos wrote:The closest you can do is overlap the standard and narrow gauges, but that's still only within your own company.
It's of course also possible to cross the roads from compitors with your own railroads...It's also possible to drive your truck on roads build by the AI. So if that's coded somewhere, it should also be possible with railroadtracks.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Except that's probably a quality associated with its very identity as a road, i.e. a behavior such as its creation of intersections. It's not something like bridge compatibility which can be altered at will. I will, however, look into it.
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Greyfox »

Hmm......interesting concept. I would imagine that having no rail track sharing with competitors is hard coded into the game. If it were possible, then I assume players would like to charge competitors for the use thereof. I guess it would be worth looking into, although I rarely play against AI's anyway. If EDS has the time, I'm sure he'll do it.
Windows 10 discussion here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72527
Looking for AMI trains, Chicago Locomotive Works, etc: You'll find your needs here: http://www.locomotiondepot.net/
Here's another: http://www.walter1940.de Lots of interesting stuff on this site, including tutorials.
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Greyfox wrote:If EDS has the time, I'm sure he'll do it.
*Look into it
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Greyfox »

*he'll do it. As he stated, he will try. I guess you should try and read the posts correctly. and stop posting unnecessarily. I am sure he will let us know if he is successful.
Windows 10 discussion here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72527
Looking for AMI trains, Chicago Locomotive Works, etc: You'll find your needs here: http://www.locomotiondepot.net/
Here's another: http://www.walter1940.de Lots of interesting stuff on this site, including tutorials.
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

I'm not neglecting to read the posts. I'm trying to make a point and reinforce my own stance. Sidious can have at it, and if it works then I'll be damned and we have a new mod.
Goldsmith
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Goldsmith »

That definitely would be great. Especially on multi player where as you can imagine it gets pretty clogged.
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

I have looked through a number of options, but they all failed...There's one thing that I can try, but that could take a long time and that is changing a road into a railroad...Since I mentioned earlier that IA trucks can drive your own road and vice versa, if you are able to make a road (with the same code) into a railroad it might be possible. Of course you can try it yourself Goldsmith but then you must be into coding and know what you are doing...

At the moment I'm not very busy with other things in the game, but I am busy with my family...Two little daughters of 2 years old takes lots of time :lol:

I need to do some more stuff on the valuables-mod before I release the new version and I would like to play the game for a while so this has really no priority at the moment for me (also because I never play with the IA in the game)...So I promise that I promise nothing. But as far as I know, this is the only way to make it possible I guess...

So good luck trying for yourself to see if it's possible but I don't garantee that it will work and if you fail in trying so, it could possibly mess up your entire game.

Regards,

Erik

Return to “Locomotion Problems, FAQs and Tutorials”