[Resolved] Locotool Not Creating .xml or .png Pictures

Got problems with Locomotion? Find assistance here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Sir BNSF
Engineer
Engineer

[Resolved] Locotool Not Creating .xml or .png Pictures

Post by Sir BNSF »

I'm trying to edit my .dat files to make it so industry productions don't drop. I've done this plenty of time on Windows XP and it worked fine. I found my line of code switched the production decrease number to 0 and my production would just go up. But now I have Windows 7 and the .dat files don't look the same at all.
On Windows XP these would be the 2 lines of code that would change production

Code: Select all

<bit name="canincreaseproduction">1</bit>
      <bit name="candecreaseproduction">0</bit>
FARM.txt
(503.08 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Fix: So for whatever reason my computer won't make the .xml files or the .pngs when the files are located on its hard drive but once a put it on a USB it seems to be fine with converting the .dats. So I guess I just need to keep a USB around my computer from now on.
Last edited by Sir BNSF on 12 Nov 2012 20:56, edited 5 times in total.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Editing dats on Windows 7

Post by Hyronymus »

No idea but please attach the code as a txt file, it currently breaks all forum tables like never before!
Nawdic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Nawdic »

What you have is a un-decompiled dat, hence the gibberish.

Oh, and you broke my browser.
Very much a retired regular poster..... If you can say that :mrgreen:
Sir BNSF
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sir BNSF »

I apologize I didn't realize it went way off the screen. :oops: Fixed it now.

47407 any idea of how to re-compile it?
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Use locotool?
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Sir BNSF
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sir BNSF »

Correct me if I'm wrong IA but isn't locotool only for editing vehicle dats?

Edit: Nevermind I was thinking of IT Wrapper

Edit #2: So I'm just now realizing that I was trying to edit the .dats wrong. :oops: I forgot how to do it properly but now I'm having a different problem. Locotool doesn't seem to want to open my dats. I'll drag the dat to it and it doesn't do anything.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

And you say that you have successfully made changes in the past, using WinXP?
Sir BNSF
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sir BNSF »

LocoRoller wrote:And you say that you have successfully made changes in the past, using WinXP?
Yeah its been a while though. Locotool just refuses to open up the dat like its supposed to.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

So you dropped the .dat file onto LocoTool and opened the .xml that it generate?

Sorry for the questions, I just need clarification.
Sir BNSF
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sir BNSF »

LocoRoller wrote:So you dropped the .dat file onto LocoTool and opened the .xml that it generate?

Sorry for the questions, I just need clarification.
It isn't making a .xml or or a folder with the sprites like its supposed to.
Greyfox
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: [Resolved] Locotool Not Creating .xml or .png Pictures

Post by Greyfox »

Hello SirBNSF. I hope this is not to late. I read with interest on the subject LocoTool. I have a similar problem in that I use Total Commander as my file browser. Unfortunetly, Locotool will not create an xml file. So I have to use Windows Explorer instead and it works. When I open up Total Commander again the xml file is in there. After reading your query, I was wondering what file browser you use. (btw, my OS is Win XP Home Edition). You did not mention what file browser you use so I thought I'd ask.

Cheers
Greyfox.
Windows 10 discussion here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72527
Looking for AMI trains, Chicago Locomotive Works, etc: You'll find your needs here: http://www.locomotiondepot.net/
Here's another: http://www.walter1940.de Lots of interesting stuff on this site, including tutorials.
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NotSoFast »

Same problem. Dragged-and-dropped the dat onto locotool, get zilch. No xml or png's. I'm just using windows explorer on windows 7. I *think* i got locotool to work on windows 7 before, but it's been a while so I'm not 100% sure I've used it since I upgraded from win XP. Any suggestions? Trying to convert a BR-set plow to match the US cargo pack.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

NotSoFast wrote:Same problem. Dragged-and-dropped the dat onto locotool, get zilch. No xml or png's. I'm just using windows explorer on windows 7. I *think* i got locotool to work on windows 7 before, but it's been a while so I'm not 100% sure I've used it since I upgraded from win XP. Any suggestions? Trying to convert a BR-set plow to match the US cargo pack.
If you've edited that particular file before, it'll just update the existing .png directory and .xml file. That's all I can think of. As for the file browser, I would assume that he was using Windows Explorer, the default.
Greyfox wrote:Hello SirBNSF. I hope this is not to late. I read with interest on the subject LocoTool. I have a similar problem in that I use Total Commander as my file browser. Unfortunetly, Locotool will not create an xml file. So I have to use Windows Explorer instead and it works. When I open up Total Commander again the xml file is in there. After reading your query, I was wondering what file browser you use. (btw, my OS is Win XP Home Edition). You did not mention what file browser you use so I thought I'd ask.
I've never heard of a file browser restricting access to the functionality of an .exe (especially an advanced one like TC), but you'd best stick to Windows Explorer for this.
NotSoFast
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NotSoFast »

Tried it with a stock game file I know i've NEVER edited before so there's no preexisting xml or sprites, still nothing. I have about 7 copies of locotool scattered around my files though, might this copy be putting the NEW files in some other folder?
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

Well, which folder is the original file in?
NotSoFast
Engineer
Engineer

Post by NotSoFast »

Well, I have so many folders and files to clean out that I have no idea where things are, but I seem to have resolved my problems by re-re-downloading locotool again, THIS copy works fine. Thanks for the help anyways though!
Also, with locotool working again, I have created a little something that i'll post in a few minutes over in the graphics modifications and tools section, go check it out!

(this problem is [RESOLVED] again)

Return to “Locomotion Problems, FAQs and Tutorials”