2 questions:

Got problems with Locomotion? Find assistance here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

marcusthe1st
Engineer
Engineer

2 questions:

Post by marcusthe1st »

1. Is there a comprehensive manual for path based signaling? I've ended up using only One-way path signaling (after promotion from block signal) as it's the only one I understand, that does everything needed. The other signals--how to use? What are they for?

2. When a truck is listed as re-fittable, how do you refit it? ie a valuables truck. No such valuables truck now listed, but can be refitted to. How to refit? When I say truck I mean railway wagon.
Transport Tycoon is the only game I play consistently.
cards525
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: 2 questions:

Post by cards525 »

marcusthe1st wrote:1. Is there a comprehensive manual for path based signaling? I've ended up using only One-way path signaling (after promotion from block signal) as it's the only one I understand, that does everything needed. The other signals--how to use? What are they for?

2. When a truck is listed as re-fittable, how do you refit it? ie a valuables truck. No such valuables truck now listed, but can be refitted to. How to refit? When I say truck I mean railway wagon.
1. Path based signalling is easy, so Ill make it hard for you to learn.
-------------------------------->
<------------------------------- This is what your average track for two way should look like, each - represents a piece, and each <> represents direction. Now, there is an easy way to run 3 trains or more on this rather than two. Simply add a signal every... 10-20 tiles or so, or if a mixed line(Passenger and freight) you may want to do something like this.
<------------------------------
--------------------------------
-------------------------------> Notice here, the middle track has no direction. This is for passengers, and you must direct all freight traffic to use the regular line.(Waypoint).
The last topic of yours is signals, what are they used for?

-------------------------------->
<------------------------------- Now, lets say your trying to make this into a turnoff to another station(IE, Mainline to sideline) The first thing you'll need to do is make sure no tracks contradict each others paths or else trains going completely different paths, not even intercepting, will have to stop. So the result is, traffic having to crossover needs to go over the tracks, not through them. This stops delays, and allows for efficent signalling.
Another key note, is to place signals near and after every junction to decrease wait time.

------------------<=I_____________
------------------>=I_____________(= Equals switchover, I equals signal, _ station.) Now, you'll see that this is the station is two sided, this is useful for multicar lines. Now, the I's are used to allow the train to crossover when another train is in the station.Heres a situation how its used, So, lets say that train 1 is at the bottom station. He is waiting for a load of whatever. Now, train 2 comes along, but can't cross to the top station because it doesn't know that train 1 is loading, not traveling. It will have to wait there until Train 1 either leaves or you put in signals. The signals say "Hey, you can go, cause train 1 can't go, we are stopping him" and thus, train 2 goes into the station and gets its cargo. Now, if there werent stations, this would take much longer and cost your company a lotta cash. I hope that helped.
Oh, and for question #2. Tell your train what to carry in the "Route" part, you won't need to refit much, the cargo should already be listed. Have a nice day >:D
marcusthe1st
Engineer
Engineer

Post by marcusthe1st »

Thank you. Wow, that was five years ago. But thanks.
marcusthe1st
Engineer
Engineer

Post by marcusthe1st »

I mean my reply, not yours. Thanks again.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

You were really quick to read the reply :P
Emperor Darth Sidious
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Darth Sidious »

marcusthe1st wrote:Thank you. Wow, that was five years ago. But thanks.
Why would you even bother of bumping a 5 year old topic with an answer like that ?? Your reply doesn't bring any new stuff that's even worth mentioning to the topic...

Return to “Locomotion Problems, FAQs and Tutorials”