Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:27 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

In case the issue is unresolved, the variable to change after adding a roadmod is Field_1E[7]

Formerly known as LocoRoller

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:03 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Ok, so my problem is with the Better Roads mod, in which trains can't intersect with any of the NLRoads. I decompiled one of the road files into XML but now i don't knwo where I add or remove things to make it work.

I've read the entire thread and I don't understand much of it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:04 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

New modders will often have trouble understanding the directions on this thread, you're not alone.

What you will want to do is open the .xml document and add new lines in the compatible[array] field (one for every new road) using the corresponding road's name. Then, and note that this applies to all added lines, change "numcompat" to reflect how many lines that you now have.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:52 am 
Engineer
Engineer

When I'm not tired and hungry I'll do that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:43 am 
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Seems a legit tutorial but when I drag the .dat files over Locotool.exe it does nothing

EDIT: It has to be in the same folder to work. Done it now

EDIT: When I recompile the .XML, it turns into a .BAK file
A) What's a .bak file
B) What did I do wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:55 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

A BAK.File is simply the new DAT.file (and I guess it's also a backup-file of the original one, but not sure about that. That's why I also make a backup of the file that I'm editing)...But to save your XML.file as a new DAT.file you must first remove the un-edited one.

So when you drop (for example) Trackst.DAT on Locotool, the picture and the XML.file is created. Next, remove the Trackst.DAT that you dropped onto locotool. Do your editing with the XML.file (or the pictures). Then drop the Trackst.XML file on the Locotool and voila your new Trackst.DAT is created (if you edited everything via the correct way) instead of a BAK.File...(but of course make sure you made a backup of your old Trackst.DAT before you edit and remove it)...

Done !

:: Emperor' Screenshots :: Problem with Bridges :: The Long Station Patch :: Help with Opie's Dutch Stations :: The Serpent "Mod-Free" :: The Empty Region :: The City Oilwell :: The City Flourmill :: The Food-Mod :: The Valuables-Mod V4.0 :: A "One-Sided Station" :: Standard vehicles for Plastikman's Automod :: Maximum production from industries :: Tutorial to change tracks for trams and trains :: My own vehicle creation thread ::

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:25 pm 
Director
Director

And you've been doing this how long EDS? You'll confuse him with that explanation. Geez. I'll explain it to him. We'll use trackst.dat as an example.

To decompile it, you drop it onto locotool.exe. After that, you will have the original trackst.dat + a trackst.xml + a folder named trackst with all the sprites in it.
After you make your changes to the trackst.xml you'll want to recompile it by dropping the trackst.xml onto locotool.exe.
After you do that, you get a NEW trackst.dat AND the original trackst.dat is renamed to trackst.bak.
So now you'll have a trackst.dat AND a trackst.bak and it doesn't matter how many times you recompile a new one, the trackst.bak will always be the original one. I just checked that to make sure.

If you ever need the original trackst.dat, you would remove any others and just rename the trackst.bak to trackst.dat and you'll have the original trackst.dat that you started with.

Now there's an better way to use locotool without having to copy it to the objdata folder or any other folder you're working with. Place locotool.exe and locotool.dll into it's own folder. Then create a shortcut for it and take that shortcut and place it into the Send To folder in Windows. This is the path to it - Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo - this way, when you want to decompile or recompile you would just select the .dat or .xml and right-click, Send To, and select the Locotool shortcut. It works and I've used it myself. You can also set locotool to be the default program to open .dat files by double-clicking it. When you double-click a .dat file, a window should pop up asking what you want to do, Use the web service or select a program from a list. You would select a program from a list and goto where locotool.exe is and select it and make sure it's checked to Always use the selected program to open this kind of file. Then you can just double-click a .dat file and it'll decompile it without having to fuss with it but you owuld still have to use the Send To shortcut to recompile it.

I hope this helps you to understand this now.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
: : = FYRA v250 = : : = AU NSW 86 Class Electric Locomotive = : : = AU QR EDI Bombadier IMU/SMU Trainset = : : = B-Class & VicPass = : : = MSTS Scotsman = : : = US Semi Trucks Pack = : :
: : = Steel Bridge = : : = Tube Bridge = : : = 2 New Earth Slopes = : : = Default Bridges w/ New Slopes added = : : = Camera Angles for Shape Viewer = : : = EU Semi Trucks Pack = : : = US Tank Cars 56' = : :
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Last edited by Tattoo on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:40 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

To sum it up (because I know from experience how much new users hate reading long posts), the original .dat file has already been updated. You can tell by hovering over it to see when it was last modified.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:43 pm 
Director
Director

Zakos wrote:
To sum it up (because I know from experience how much new users hate reading long posts), the original .dat file has already been updated. You can tell by hovering over it to see when it was last modified.

Yep, but if they don't want to read then they obviously don't want to learn...

: : = FYRA v250 = : : = AU NSW 86 Class Electric Locomotive = : : = AU QR EDI Bombadier IMU/SMU Trainset = : : = B-Class & VicPass = : : = MSTS Scotsman = : : = US Semi Trucks Pack = : :
: : = Steel Bridge = : : = Tube Bridge = : : = 2 New Earth Slopes = : : = Default Bridges w/ New Slopes added = : : = Camera Angles for Shape Viewer = : : = EU Semi Trucks Pack = : : = US Tank Cars 56' = : :

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:56 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

It looks like he read the whole rest of the tutorial, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:54 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Emperor Darth Sidious wrote:
A BAK.File is simply the new DAT.file (and I guess it's also a backup-file of the original one, but not sure about that. That's why I also make a backup of the file that I'm editing)...But to save your XML.file as a new DAT.file you must first remove the un-edited one.

So when you drop (for example) Trackst.DAT on Locotool, the picture and the XML.file is created. Next, remove the Trackst.DAT that you dropped onto locotool. Do your editing with the XML.file (or the pictures). Then drop the Trackst.XML file on the Locotool and voila your new Trackst.DAT is created (if you edited everything via the correct way) instead of a BAK.File...(but of course make sure you made a backup of your old Trackst.DAT before you edit and remove it)...

Done !

Confusius says i am confused.

BAK = Back-up file.

:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of:
LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:57 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Tattoo wrote:
And you've been doing this how long EDS? You'll confuse him with that explanation. Geez.

Illegal_Alien wrote:
Confusius says i am confused.

Yeah yeah, I know...Even I can make mistakes after 10 years, but my discription wasn't that bad. I just had to tell it in a different way, but no-one (me included) is perfect, and we are only humans :mrgreen: :wink:

:: Emperor' Screenshots :: Problem with Bridges :: The Long Station Patch :: Help with Opie's Dutch Stations :: The Serpent "Mod-Free" :: The Empty Region :: The City Oilwell :: The City Flourmill :: The Food-Mod :: The Valuables-Mod V4.0 :: A "One-Sided Station" :: Standard vehicles for Plastikman's Automod :: Maximum production from industries :: Tutorial to change tracks for trams and trains :: My own vehicle creation thread ::

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:58 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Got a problem here, at the momment the game will only allow me build 1 or two types of signal, however when i change this

<variable name="numsignals" size="1">16</variable> from "1">10</variable> to "1">16</variable>, i save and then i do the usual, it comes up with this "could not find object to use for signal" so im stuck on that, it would only work if the digit was back at 10

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:09 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Eric_22, have you added the signals you want to use to your trackst.dat and/or trackng.dat file? They have to be listed there, or they won't be available in the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:49 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

In other words, you need to edit the list of signals that the track can use. You can see it several lines below your edit.

When the program says "could not find object," it's telling you that you told it to allow more signals, but you didn't say which ones to use.