How to make trams drive on the left side ? (Solved)

Got problems with Locomotion? Find assistance here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Severn
Engineer
Engineer

How to make trams drive on the left side ? (Solved)

Post by Severn »

In the UK version of Locomotion, the road vehicles drive on the left, but the trams are on the right! Whoops. :cry:

Is there a way to force trams on the left too?
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

that wasn't happening in the demo.

strange :roll:
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Severn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Severn »

The Irish wrote:that wasn't happening in the demo.

strange :roll:
I guess it's one for "The Irish" too! :lol:

In the demo, we weren't allowed to make vehicles go on the left were we? Dunno, it's deleted from my HD now.

Anyway, I've discovered that if I make the currecy dollars, the vehicles move to the right, and the problem goes away.

(the problem was that the road vehicle (rv) and a tram would meet. The tram doesn't move, the rv turns around for 1 tile, then turns around again, in the meantime the tram hasn't started moving, and DEATH LOOP. :cry: Neither rv nor tram make any progress.
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Severn wrote: I guess it's one for "The Irish" too! :lol:
:wink:

But if i'm not mistaken, if you play the England & Ireland map in the demo, trams also move on the left, like the rvs.
Have to try it out again. But the thing with the rvs reversing like this is a bit odd.
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Severn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Severn »

It's possible I suppose that I am building the trams 'backwards'. But if so, I don't know how to build them forwards!
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

dont turn the track back on themselves like ai, build a proper round trip.

That way they stay on the sideof the road you stick them off.
Severn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Severn »

Born Acorn wrote:dont turn the track back on themselves like ai, build a proper round trip.

That way they stay on the sideof the road you stick them off.
OK, but that needs double the length (at least) of track. If I want to have closed loops, why can't I make them go on the left hand of the road like the vehicles? It's ridiculous.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

They should go on the left. Stop the ones going the wrong way and click the reverse button. Then they'll go on the left.

And Born Acorn was saying use the loop piece of track on dead ends, rather than leaving them empty. That way they turn around onto the other side of the road rather than going back on themselves.
Severn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Severn »

Steve wrote:They should go on the left. Stop the ones going the wrong way and click the reverse button. Then they'll go on the left.
That's it thanks, so simple. Stop the tram and click reverse!

I wasa fooled because for the UK Locomotion settings, the default is the right for trams, but for road vehicles it's left.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Apart from just reversing the tram, you also have to reverse the route, or make sure it actually is on the correct side. Consider this:

Code: Select all

====::====::====
The == is tram track on road, the :: are stops. Call leftmost stop A and the other one B.
Now, if cars are driving on the left side of the road, they will driver on the "upper" side of the road when going from A to B. If a tram is placed such that it currently is on the LOWER track and is asked to go from A to B, it will obviously drive on the wrong side. So unless you move it to the upper track (somehow...) or reverse the route so it drives from B to A, it'll be on the wrong side possibly forever. (Actually, I think it will have to stay on the wrong side! At least I can't imagine a track combination right now that allows it to change direction.)
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

If told to go from A to B, it should still drive the long way round, following the track to the left and looping onto the top rail.
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

When building your tracks, there is one piece of track to be built at the end.
It looks like a "flat" arrow doing a 180° turn. Place that on each end and the tram does switch the side of the road at the end of the line.

hope that helps.

Paul
DJ-Mike
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DJ-Mike »

BEFORE you place your tram, use the "Reverse Direction" icon on the first tab of the tram's info window. Then hover your pointer over the track, and you will be able to see which side of the track your tram will be placed on.

On my setup, the tram will always be placed on the correct side assuming it will travel forwards on the left side of the track - however, if you hit "Reverse Direction" AFTER you place the tram you will automatically end up with a tram going on the wrong side of the road (although you can, however, change this to your heart's content!)

Hope that helps.

DJM.
Severn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Severn »

The Irish wrote:When building your tracks, there is one piece of track to be built at the end.
It looks like a "flat" arrow doing a 180° turn. Place that on each end and the tram does switch the side of the road at the end of the line.
Thanks "the Irish" I had already done that, so my tram lines were NOT open-ended, they were closed loops. When the tram got to "the end of the line" it turned 180 degrees around the loop at the end and travelled along the same route in the opposite direction on the opposite side of the road.
DJ-Mike wrote:BEFORE you place your tram, use the "Reverse Direction" icon on the first tab of the tram's info window. Then hover your pointer over the track, and you will be able to see which side of the track your tram will be placed on.
Yes, it's possible to set which side of the road it's on, but it's not possible to set which direction it will travel in! If the tram has overhead wires, you can tell from the electric roof bar.
DJ-Mike wrote:On my setup, the tram will always be placed on the correct side assuming it will travel forwards on the left side of the track - however, if you hit "Reverse Direction" AFTER you place the tram you will automatically end up with a tram going on the wrong side of the road (although you can, however, change this to your heart's content!)
In the American secenarios though, it travels forwards on the right hand side of the track.

I don't know how I managed it, but I ended up in a British scenario with the default directions of trams being on the right side of the road, travelling the "wrong way" towards all oncoming RVs. In those circumstances, there is nothing you can do to stop the tram being on the right side of the road except place it on the tracks and THEN change its direction. Hitting the reverse direction button BEFORE you place it on the track just moves it from one side of the road to the other, it doesn't change its direction.

I've not managed to reproduce the problem, and even if I do, I've got a fix now, so I'm happy.

Return to “Locomotion Problems, FAQs and Tutorials”