Bug fixer of the week award

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Bug fixer of the week award

Post by dominik81 »

We've come up with a small award for those people who help stablizing the game: The "Bug Fixer of the Week" award! You can track the recent status of the award here: http://openttd.rulez.org/wiki2/index.ph ... f_the_week

This is to enourage everyone to help fix bugs, becaue only a bug-free game is a good game. The past weeks Bug Fixer is blathijs because he fixed two of the most crucial bugs.
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

I think it should be month fixer ... and winning the award should also add a winner to About window

and there should be monthly feature contributor award :wink:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:I think it should be month fixer ... and winning the award should also add a winner to About window
and there should be monthly feature contributor award :wink:
Nice ideas. But the point of the award is to encourage bugfixing. People are quick at making feature patches, that's easier and more fun to do. But only few people enjoy fixing bugs. Also, when done weekly, you've got more competition, because it's hard to keep up the "score" for a whole month.

But it's an excellent idea to add some acknowledgement to the about window. :)
- Korenn
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

What about a bug-reporter of the week/month/decade?
After all, you need the bugs to be reported before they can be fixed. Though this community doesn't seem to have any real problem with bug-reporting at present.
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

Nah, we don't have a problem with not getting enough bug reports. :wink:
- Korenn
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Moriarty »

bah, there goes my medal...
hehehe :(

It's probably because a good number of the users here are actually devs (for something, not necessarily ottd) themselves. Thus they realise the value of bug reports.
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

I would probably not give awards for "Bug fixer of the week". You would then have to reward "Bug reporter of the week", "Doc writer of the week", "Useful idea of the week", etc. Bugs are a two-way process. You put in code, other people put in bug reports, based on those you put in more code, people then find more bugs in that new code, etc. No bugs found => no bugs fixed. Yet again, don't get too developer-centric, since pure code is not the only part of a game, and there are probably people outside the developer group that have skills you will need (and you will need them - trust me when I say that coders are not usually good doc writers :)).

Of course, a poor bug report is not worth the electrons it's printed with.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

We should however have a stupidest-bugeporter-of-the-week award.

Just look at this one: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=636365
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

That's a good idea. Now, if only we could track that guy down, and deliver his "award" in person, straight through the head ... ;)
Hadez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hadez »

ChrisCF wrote:That's a good idea. Now, if only we could track that guy down, and deliver his "award" in person, straight through the head ... ;)
Don't be so evil. Perhaps he/she thought it's enough (programmers are like gods for him...).
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Moriarty »

[quote="ChrisCF"]I would probably not give awards for "Bug fixer of the week". You would then have to reward "Bug reporter of the week", "Doc writer of the week", "Useful idea of the week", etc. Bugs are a two-way process. You put in code, other people put in bug reports, based on those you put in more code, people then find more bugs in that new code, etc. No bugs found => no bugs fixed. Yet again, don't get too developer-centric, since pure code is not the only part of a game, and there are probably people outside the developer group that have skills you will need (and you will need them - trust me when I say that coders are not usually good doc writers :)[b][/b]).

Of course, a poor bug report is not worth the electrons it's printed with.[/quote]

Hmm a symbioses.
How about a "symbiot of the week" award instead then. most bugs reported/fixed?
j/k btw ;)

Return to “OpenTTD Development”