More freedom on SourceFogre

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

follow
Engineer
Engineer

More freedom on SourceFogre

Post by follow »

I never adminstrated any project on SF, so I don't know how far you can change rules,
but I think that some more freedom could be good for project...

By now I would ask for:

1. be able to attach files to somebody else threads (bug reports, etc.)
2. be able to assign bugs/feature request to myself
3. be able to change some options of bu reports (etc.) that does not belong to me.
especially possibility of reopening bugs may help avoid duplicating reports

Especially #2 may help not to do development by two persons that don't know about each other (what happend to me a few times)
follow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by follow »

It seems that problem is so complicated that nobody even answered the post. ;-)
So I decided to go one step further with problem that annoyies me the most.

I have created Wiki page to track who is working on what.
I hope this may help with cooperation between patchers, to interchange data
about progress in patching, and contact info (to check the progress for example, or overtake
the project if previous maintainer is dead...).

I believe proper SF assignements support may be better option (not to split develompent into 3rd place), but in current shape is rather unhelpful.

The page is not linked to any main Wiki page yet.
But surely developers will do that if people use it.

But anyway -- feel free to edit that it and add your project there.
Or completely rework it.... (that's the Wiki way ;)

http://openttd.rulez.org/wiki2/index.php/WhoWorksOnWhat
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Bugreports can be assigned in SF to the project developers. So I can assign bugs to myself and fix them. Obviously if you are not a project member, you cannot assign bugs to yourself. Now there are 2 (well actually 3, no 4) things to do:
  1. You come to IRC and ask the developers to add you to the developer list. Now you can close bugs, assign them to yourself, etc. etc.
  2. You come to IRC and tell any of the active members there that you are fixing a particular bug. That bug will be assigned to a member, but you will be working on it (obviously, you're credited)
  3. You fix the bug, and add it to the patches section. You hope that nobody has fixed that bug so far, or has been working on it
  4. hmm. I forgot. The wiki :P
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
follow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by follow »

Darkvater,

All you say makes sense...
But from my point of view, there are many people that are not involved (and experienced, and ...) that much to become developers, but time to time try to work on some features a bit.

Also following your #2 may seem a bit to "official" for such freelancers. Especially beginers, that just start playing with the code.

But from other side, it's waste of time and resources to work on something that somebody else
works (was working) on, even if it is not finished. Better join efforts...

That's why I wanted to have easy to use tool for trackig who is working on what...
And being able to edit your entries by yourself seems important to me.

So I think the Wiki is good solution there. At least for me. Time will show if for others too...
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Yes, wiki is a good place, but I think coming to IRC to tell what you are doing is much much safer. You get immediate feedback and will know immediately if it is worked on, etc. etc.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."

Return to “OpenTTD Development”