Development Suggestion: z-factor

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

JenovaUK
Engineer
Engineer

Development Suggestion: z-factor

Post by JenovaUK »

In reading the suggestions board, I have noticed a lot of people mentioning about putting signals on bridges, multi-level stations, etc.. with a lot of people saying that it would be difficlut to develop.

Would it not be possible to add another stored factor for the placement of items so rather than having your x and y coordenates (sp?) you would also have a z, height.

Obviously this would start at zero for the water level and then rise for each level of land.

This could be then implimented in to the position of trains, etc.. and make a lot more hight related features possible.

I don't know if this feature is already implemented, but I can only suggest. :wink:
matthijs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by matthijs »

This feature is somewhat implemented, for each tile the z coordinate is also stored (IIRC). This means that tiles can have different heights, but you still can't stack tiles, since there is only still space for information about one item on the tile.
In the new map layout by vurlix, signals on bridges could probably be added somewhat more easily.

But, for maximum flexibility Celestar and I have been thinking about making truly multilayered tile structure, which would allow for about any possible multilayer configuration. How exactly this should be accomplished we will think about some more, but I think it will probably involve some dynamic memory.

Biggest problem I see, though, is adapting the UI to support truly multilayered stuff. You need to determine when the user wants to place a signal on the bridge instead of under it, for example. Also, there need to be fitting graphics for all this, which could also pose a problem I think. Making the graphics system figure out how a tile is drawn is also a challenge. But, all of these can be done (I'm just thinking out loud right now) and will be a nice project I think :-)

When Vurlix is finished with the new map array and Celestar is back from his vacation, we will probably try to make a start with all this.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

matthijs wrote:This feature is somewhat implemented, for each tile the z coordinate is also stored (IIRC). This means that tiles can have different heights, but you still can't stack tiles, since there is only still space for information about one item on the tile.
In the new map layout by vurlix, signals on bridges could probably be added somewhat more easily.

But, for maximum flexibility Celestar and I have been thinking about making truly multilayered tile structure, which would allow for about any possible multilayer configuration. How exactly this should be accomplished we will think about some more, but I think it will probably involve some dynamic memory.

Biggest problem I see, though, is adapting the UI to support truly multilayered stuff. You need to determine when the user wants to place a signal on the bridge instead of under it, for example. Also, there need to be fitting graphics for all this, which could also pose a problem I think. Making the graphics system figure out how a tile is drawn is also a challenge. But, all of these can be done (I'm just thinking out loud right now) and will be a nice project I think :-)

When Vurlix is finished with the new map array and Celestar is back from his vacation, we will probably try to make a start with all this.
this mean that would be possible a terraforming like RCT?
matthijs
Engineer
Engineer

Post by matthijs »

RCT?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

RollerCoaster Tycoon, I guess.

That signal thingie could be done the same way RCT does, select the tile and then hold the shift key. While doing this the tile will not change, with the cursor you can move it up or down (in height) so you can select at which level a signal will be placed.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Purno wrote:RollerCoaster Tycoon, I guess.

That signal thingie could be done the same way RCT does, select the tile and then hold the shift key. While doing this the tile will not change, with the cursor you can move it up or down (in height) so you can select at which level a signal will be placed.
yes, rollercoaster tycoon
no, i mean landscaping, for example in OTTD, when landscaping you may press shift and raise only a corner or all the tile without modify the tiles around
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Wolf01, why not taking over the complete RCT landscaping tool method? It works perfect IMO.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Purno wrote:Wolf01, why not taking over the complete RCT landscaping tool method? It works perfect IMO.
yes, it is a great idea, wait, i try to steal the sources ... :)

i think that locomotion would be a mix of RCT and TTD, so, if we (you) are enough good, we (you) can make a similar game
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

i don't know if this should be pertaining with the topic but i suggest a little thing:
LAYERS
layers that are visible or not, so:
one layer for the grid which is activated only in building mode (more eye candy landcape)
one (or more) layer for the different parts of the day to increase/decrase luminosity
one layer for the weather:
- tropical --> sandstrorms
- temperate --> rain
- arctic --> snowstorms

think layers like semi-transparent-animated sheets that you can place on your screen to make the game more different

and the most important: reduce a lot the flow of the time!!!
playing RCT i noticed that to play 5 game's years i have to play about 3 hours, OTTD instead 1 day = about 10 seconds so 1 year = about 360 seconds or 6 minutes, with fast forward the time is half

Return to “OpenTTD Development”