Masterserver issues

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

uvealonso
Engineer
Engineer

Masterserver issues

Post by uvealonso »

Hello there,

I've looking for doing some changes on masterserve's code, and as it is needed to do a lot of work to the code, a big advantage will be to have the issue board in masterserver's repository.

Also, there's a lot of changes that should be done to the code, but that could be discussed on issue panel.

Regards,
uve
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Masterserver issues

Post by planetmaker »

If I could find on GitHub how to activate issues... I might do that. However PR should still work, irrespective whether there are issues or not, shouldn't they?
Cheers,
pm
uvealonso
Engineer
Engineer

Post by uvealonso »

kamnet wrote: 02 Sep 2019 21:09 What types of issues?
For example, binary doesn't even compile. This is the first (and a big one) issue. After that, it would be great to add a feature to reject servers that does not have valid UTF8 names (it causes a crash on OSX clients, and it is going to be that way until a new version is released). If there's no issue board, ideas cannot be discussed...

planetmaker wrote: 03 Sep 2019 08:19 If I could find on GitHub how to activate issues... I might do that. However PR should still work, irrespective whether there are issues or not, shouldn't they?
Cheers,
pm
Yeah, that's fine for fixing the compilation. There's a lot of work to do there. But there's no possibility of any discussion about this repo (unless we do it in this forums, what is not the more appropiate place to do it), at least, having the possibility of having the discussion in guthub platform.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

planetmaker wrote: 03 Sep 2019 08:19 If I could find on GitHub how to activate issues... I might do that. However PR should still work, irrespective whether there are issues or not, shouldn't they?
I can't see an option to enable it either - but perhaps I don't have the correct rights. Might be we need to ask TrueBrain?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

On topic:
While our master server currently runs fine, the repo contains the code clearly wasn't visited at all since the migration to GitHub, and probably not looked at more like in the last 5 years; at least loads of relative includes are missing or in different places which were available in relative directories in the svn repository back in ye ol' days...

That said, a crash on OSX clients IMHO should be fixed primarily there: client-side. Master server sending non-UTF8 is secondary to that IMHO.

And thanks to LordAro I found where to activate issues on the repo... scrolling down past a lot of blank screen... :evil: ... will eventually reveal the option. Here you go: https://github.com/OpenTTD/MasterServer/issues
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I'm suggesting updating the master server to filter out servers publishing invalid information accidentally, as a possibly logistically easier fix than making a new version for just macOS with just the fix for that UTF-8 handling bug. Though perhaps the easiest fix would be to contact the owner of the misconfigured server and have them fix it...
uvealonso
Engineer
Engineer

Post by uvealonso »

planetmaker wrote: 04 Sep 2019 10:33 On topic:
While our master server currently runs fine, the repo contains the code clearly wasn't visited at all since the migration to GitHub, and probably not looked at more like in the last 5 years; at least loads of relative includes are missing or in different places which were available in relative directories in the svn repository back in ye ol' days...

That said, a crash on OSX clients IMHO should be fixed primarily there: client-side. Master server sending non-UTF8 is secondary to that IMHO.

And thanks to LordAro I found where to activate issues on the repo... scrolling down past a lot of blank screen... :evil: ... will eventually reveal the option. Here you go: https://github.com/OpenTTD/MasterServer/issues
The pull request I made for fixing macOS crash is approved, but all macOS players like me (and many others) have to wait until 1.9.3 is released.

So, that's why I started to read the masterserver code, and that's what I discovered. I think it is necessary to update the source to make it, at least, to compile. Then, we can start a discussion about if it's necessary to add some checks of server info before adding to the published servers. That's why issue board is important...

jfs wrote: 04 Sep 2019 15:33 I'm suggesting updating the master server to filter out servers publishing invalid information accidentally, as a possibly logistically easier fix than making a new version for just macOS with just the fix for that UTF-8 handling bug. Though perhaps the easiest fix would be to contact the owner of the misconfigured server and have them fix it...
When I finished the debugging and I realised why was the crash happening, I opened the issue and fixed the code, but also I contacted with the server owner, and he fixed the server name. But...... After 2 days, a different server with an invalid name appeared, and I understood that this is a problem hard to control in the owners part.
uvealonso
Engineer
Engineer

Post by uvealonso »

Btw... Is there any file where to find the database structure used by masterserver binary?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

uvealonso wrote: 04 Sep 2019 18:21 Btw... Is there any file where to find the database structure used by masterserver binary?
docs/mysql-database-structure.sql

Return to “OpenTTD Development”