Crossing Bridges

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ashaw
Engineer
Engineer

Crossing Bridges

Post by ashaw »

is it possible for bridges at different hights to cross one another
Farden
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Crossing Bridges

Post by Farden »

No.
ashaw
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ashaw »

Why not?

and more so will it be possible in the future.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

And this is so, because bridges in OpenTTD (as well as Houses) don't have any information stored how high they are. You might say that some of the smaller bridges could have something over them only two levels above, but those bridges with the huge amount of steel over them go up at least five levels or so? And it's not even the same for the whole bridge, it goes up, and down, and up...

Same for buildings - it could be a small hut, or a giant skyscraper (like the Total Town Replacement Set has) you can't build anything over.

For this reason it's not possible to have crossing bridges or bridges over houses.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

actually, this has been part of an experiment with the bridge branch, but it has been cut from the final implementation. afaik that was mainly due to graphical glitches, the functionality was fine.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

Really? Pity because crossing bridges would surely make matters simpler in some situations (competition games on small maps), or one could even build extra tangled up networks. :)
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

And this is so, because bridges in OpenTTD (as well as Houses) don't have any information stored how high they are.
What about deriving their height from the bounding box of the graphics?
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

Actually, crossing bridges are no problem at all, we just miss graphics :D

Basically we would need to limit the crossing bridges to be of the same bridge (not track) type ...

Celestar
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Basically we would need to limit the crossing bridges to be of the same bridge (not track) type ...
I quite don't understand this. Why? Do you mean same height crossings or different height crossings?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

I guess there is a need for graphics of bridge X crossing bridge Y. And if we limit X and Y to be always of the same bridge type, there is much less graphics needed.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Timitry
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timitry »

Well, i guess this suggestion was rather to make it possible that bridges can cross at different heights, so they are just on top of each other and the tracks do not really cross.
Crossing tracks on bridges would of course be very cool, too, but i guess it would be hard with the graphics and possible collisions of trains at the crossing...

I'd say to first concentrate on the first one, and if that works go on to the second one, if you are interested in this at all :)
It surely would be a great addition to the game!
dasy2k1
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dasy2k1 »

i like the idea of bridges crossing at differnt hights,

mabie somthing could be done with the graphics so that a bridge crossing over a cantaleaver bridge would actually rework the ironwork so it goes through a square gap in the ironwork (as if the 2 bridges were bolted together there)
deepblue2k8
Engineer
Engineer

Post by deepblue2k8 »

Or if it is easier just allow it for a special (new) bridge type, to reduce the necessary amount of new graphics?

I just tried it by deactivating the check in the code if an bridge already exists. I worked fine if you dont look at the graphic glitches too close ;-)
MJS
Director
Director

Post by MJS »

How about this: Bridge sets might carry an extra bit to show which bridges are flat - the stone and concrete bridges from the New Bridges grf, for example; and a bridge could then be built only over those, not over anything else. (Where the bit doesn't exist, assume 0.)
CazadorSirenas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CazadorSirenas »

There has been countless times when crossing bridges would have been awesome for me, specially over water. I needed a road bridge NS where there was already a train bridge going WE, and I had to rise land in the middle of the sea (very expensive) at least one tile tall enough to allow a tiny tunnel for either one of them at that exact point in the map where they crossed, even if they were at different heights... So yes, I'm really rooting for crossing bridges some day in the future :P
TopTechDreamer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TopTechDreamer »

[Edited 20201012 00:47 : Improved edition is now available - further in this topic - viewtopic.php?p=1236895#p1236895 ]

1st not enough optimized version IMPLEMENTED: + crossing bridges v.01

About TopTechDreams patch pack (IMPLEMENTED some suggestions - Independence day of Ukraine 20190824 release) - see descriptions in the corresponding topic - viewtopic.php?f=33&t=85845 ( 2nd link: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=85915 )
openttd 1.9.1 + Independence day of Ukraine 20190824 release + crossing bridges v.01.exe.zip
openttd 1.9.1 + Independence day of Ukraine 20190824 release + crossing bridges v.01.exe
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 78 times

openttd 1.9.1 + Independence day of Ukraine 20190824 release + crossing bridges v.01 - save, src.zip
openttd 1.9.1 + Independence day of Ukraine 20190824 release + crossing bridges v.01 - save, src.zip
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 65 times

tunnelbridge_cmd - crossing bridges v.01.cpp.zip
tunnelbridge_cmd - crossing bridges v.01.cpp.zip
(46.9 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
(the same source file in smaller archive)

Changes in source code to implement this feature are marked with label (comment) :

Code: Select all

//  for Allow to cross 2 bridges
// Begin for Allow to cross 2 bridges
Last edited by TopTechDreamer on 12 Oct 2020 00:49, edited 1 time in total.
CazadorSirenas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CazadorSirenas »

Hum, yes... I was following this project of yours due to the thread on boat tunnels. I downloaded it and opened it, but... is there any reason why Avast doesn't allow me to play it? :?:
Even with admin access it simply refuses to work.
TopTechDreamer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TopTechDreamer »

I don't know. My old antivirus says this exe is OK.
Maybe (I don't know), your Avast doesn't like too long file names (You can rename it shorter) or not certified *.exe files ?
( Does Avast do it at all? Maybe, some other service? )

Note: This .exe file will not work alone - it needs all the other files usual for openttd.exe to work. So user needs to place this modified .exe file to the same folder, where openttd.exe (v. 1.9.1 stable) and all its support files are.
Last edited by TopTechDreamer on 09 Oct 2020 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
CazadorSirenas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CazadorSirenas »

Since I'm so clumsy and ignorant, whenever something doesn't work I always assume it's likely because I'm doing something wrong. Problem, I don't know what is it?
I put all your files in the main folder of the game and swapped the .exe for your version. Here's what it looks like:

(pìcture below)

But after Avast sent me back a message a few hours later that they analized the unknown file and found it safe, when I try to open the game the message that boots is "No available language packs (invalid versions?)"
Please, if there's anything that I should have done, do tell me. No matter how obvious it might be, I probably missed it.
Attachments
img.png
img.png (148.91 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

You might want to look at JGR's patch pack where he implemented bridges over stations. You might find some solutions in there.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”