64 cargo types, more inputs and outputs on industries

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: 64 cargo types, more inputs and outputs on industries

Post by perverted monkey »

jfs wrote:Note that this is only the industry changes, not the changes to let town houses also accept 16 cargoes.
I don't think anyone will mind about town houses not accepting 16 cargoes but 8 would be welcome.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

1 bikers can be immediately implemented instafollow the designs of ECS vectors and Manpower Industriesoh, and allow for every industry to accept and produce passenger else as workers.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

kamnet wrote:1 bikers can be immediately implemented instafollow the designs of ECS vectors and Manpower Industriesoh, and allow for every industry to accept and produce passenger else as workers.
Also, this would make easier to implement different passengers: commuter, long distance, bed... so if you make a new train, you have to add different types of coaches for them.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

maquinista wrote:
kamnet wrote:1 bikers can be immediately implemented instafollow the designs of ECS vectors and Manpower Industriesoh, and allow for every industry to accept and produce passenger else as workers.
Also, this would make easier to implement different passengers: commuter, long distance, bed... so if you make a new train, you have to add different types of coaches for them.
That is wicked and makes vehicle sets even more interesting: 1st, 2nd and 3rd class coaches, Economy and Business Class airplanes... All possible with a simple cargo refit :).
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

what i would rather do is separate tourists who are going on vacation and tourists who are returning home, so you cannot just ship tourists in circles between tourist centers.

similarly for workers before and after their work shift.
Expresso
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Expresso »

Eddi wrote:what i would rather do is separate tourists who are going on vacation and tourists who are returning home, so you cannot just ship tourists in circles between tourist centers.

Isn't that achieved by simply setting passenger distribution to symmetric?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

no
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Eddi wrote:what i would rather do is separate tourists who are going on vacation and tourists who are returning home, so you cannot just ship tourists in circles between tourist centers.

Perhaps make it so that an airport turns passengers into tourists :P.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

To be honest, tourists, workers et cetera seem like a non sensical distinction to me, particularly when refitting vehicles. "This bus can only carry tourists on their way home" is kind of absurd - what about a tourist travelling from the first to second stop on their trip? What about a plane which may have both tourists and business travelers? What about a train which may carry commuters as well as the tourists and business travelers? If tourists are a totally distinct and never mix with regular passengers, instead only taking a chartered coach from home to a resort then back, I am not sure I see the point, as this doesn't really integrate with a passenger network, nor does it simulate an interesting flow of travel. It just seems that tourist are then a more niche version of mail, which I already rarely transport unless a GS makes me.

Of course industry set authors can make all sorts of exotic cargoes, but I am not sure varying shades of existing cargoes with no unique effects is particularly interesting, especially if I have to refit vehicles from outward and returning tourists, tired and rested workers, etc.

I think currently these types of passenger flows are best represented by CDist, and possibly by townsets. If tourists and business travelers are separate from commuters, there is not a good way to make the former prefer distant destinations and the latter prefer local ones (negative 'effect of distance on demand' for only one type of cargo). The status quo of CDist producing under certain settings many passengers for near places, few passengers for far places, is probably a better model of the balance between traveler types. Richer town and CD interaction that somehow prefers station pairs between 'living' and 'working' areas for most of the flow, and then produces a lesser amount of distant odd pairs would go a long way.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

But having different passengers makes more interesting to have different coaches in a train.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

these are all very valid problems

for example, while it might be possible to have trains (e.g. with autorefit/stationrefit) for mixed passenger types, it's totally nonsensical to have a tram/bus network, as only one type will be able to be loaded at a time.

the situation with cargodist, with the global distance weight, is also not ideal
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Hyronymus wrote:That is wicked and makes vehicle sets even more interesting: 1st, 2nd and 3rd class coaches, Economy and Business Class airplanes... All possible with a simple cargo refit :).
Can't we already have them now, playing with capacities, cargo aging, cargo loading amount...? :roll:
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Pyoro »

I'm dubious about splitting passengers up as well; this seems more like a case of thinking what can be done to refine cargodist.

But I'd say that's really not a concern for a patch like this. It gives the possibility. If people want it, they can give it a try, if they don't like, well, they don't. But the mere capability of doing it doesn't hurt anything ^^;
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

This talk about multiple types of passengers (or mail) makes me think the town window should really also be able to display more cargo types in the "transported last month (max)" statistics. For instance cargo type property 18 controls a cargo's effect on town growth, shouldn't that also cause the cargo to get its own line in the town window?

Just recently we got another patch that partially generalizes the cargo display in town windows already, to support the Wasteland mod replacing Mail with Wastelanders. It's not far to extend this further IMO.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Curious about the multiple types of passengers
To allow different types of passenger class will the train sets need recoding?

And will the different passenger class each me a separate Cargo?

In my AusTrain sets I already have sleepers, first class and second class carriages with actual capacity what they had in real .. so be good if passengers travelling in first and sleeper cars get extra income ..

But will this mean make cargos to match the classes?
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

jfs wrote:For instance cargo type property 18 controls a cargo's effect on town growth, shouldn't that also cause the cargo to get its own line in the town window?
not really. as far as the town is concerned, all cargos which set the same "town effect" get lumped into one bucket, and the town cannot distinguish them.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

This has been merged in to trunk now, so feel free to start making crazier industry chains everyone :mrgreen:
(The town houses accepts 16 cargoes patch isn't merged in yet, but should also make it soon, I hope.)
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Love to start making a new Industry set to go with this.

Where can I find the game to down load so can start testing some of these ideas?

One idea I like to try is players make their own Industries. Basically start with just 1 or a few buildings and players can extend it using Station tiles and /or Object pieces.

Farms be a good starting point where players just have the house and a few buildings to represent what type of farm it is and add your own livestock and/or crops.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Go for it I like the Idea of you supply say a 1-2 tile industry and then we can DIY , I would say I would like the option to choose as in FIRS ,Basic to full blown 64 cargo types . 64 cargo types opens up rather large industry chains ,can be simple or complex chains . A farm for example can be requiring ,Farm hands , Fertilisers , Animal Feed [ hay , pellets ... ] , Building Materials [ Fence materials ] , Farm Machinery [Tractors , Combis , ploughs ] then you got output , how long is you arm of the possible chain . A mining chain for example similar to farm requires , Miners , Machinery , and Building Materials I would also add here explosives which could come from a chemical plant that also supplies fertilisers , most of all them miners would require food , the food chain starting with the farm going to the various food producing industries onto them 49ers that have produced Fuel and valuables . Fuel Industries ,Oil,Gas,Coal,Peat,Nuclear and the green fuels Wind,Solar,thermal and tide all open up what could be great chains .I can add here I live in the Granite City , the buildings are mostly locally quarried from a single hole ,one of the biggest man made holes in Europe ,also the Oil capital of Europe , we have gone green and have a offshore wind farm , Aberdeen built on many more industries , fishing , shipbuilding and textiles to name but a few . My point here is get reams of paper , take your industry set and Firs economies maybe a splattering of Yeti , Look at the real world , come up with a basic plan and work from there . 1 chain at a time will produce the ultimate gaming experience , there is Only 2 that pull this off Yourself and Andy , what a massive project , I send you the best of luck , get the coffee out and produce some more of your fantastic magic . Look forward to testing and playing .
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

If I understand correctly, this feature is already implemented in trunk?
Does nml have any support for that?

Return to “OpenTTD Development”