Performance under ARM vs x86

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

DerekCZ
Engineer
Engineer

Performance under ARM vs x86

Post by DerekCZ »

I have temporarily switched from my 64-bit, x86 laptop with a dual-core, 1.5GHz Celeron to the ASUS Tinker Board single board computer /w a 32-bit, quad 1.5GHz Rockchip CPU, the exactly same one as used in some models of the Chromebook.
I have, however, experienced much worse performance when playing on large maps - something that the Celeron had no problems dealing with.
So, I'd like to ask, if it may be either the ARM architecture or the 32-bit CPU slowing the game down.
I also have to note that now I have 2GB of RAM, as opposed to 8GB in the laptop, but I've never seen OTTD saturating the 2GB on either machine.
---
OT: I really can't express enough how impressed I am with the compatibility of this game over all the systems and platforms it can run on. I've never seen a game that would allow for crossplay multiplayer between Android, Windows, Linux Mint, MacOS and even the Armbian, all at the same time with no issues :)
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Performance under ARM vs x86

Post by peter1138 »

Yeah, no surprises. ARM is cheap, efficient, and slow.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you can't really compare the "GHz" values of different CPU architectures. first, they re more or less made up values anyway, and the CPU architectures differ vastly in what they can do in one cycle

what openttd needs is mostly single-core integer operations performance, but also memory bandwidth or display performance may be limiting factors
DerekCZ
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DerekCZ »

Eddi wrote: . . .
Display performance of the Tinker Board is superb, even when compared to the laptop - it can stream full HD, 60FPS videos from youtube and can play 4K using its default media player. But it might be the memory, given the slower bus speed and most likely longer latency, now that I think about it...

EDIT: oh, by the way, can OTTD take advantage of multiple cores?
Gwyd
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gwyd »

No. Except when saving, I think.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

DerekCZ wrote:it can stream full HD, 60FPS videos from youtube and can play 4K using its default media player
By using a dedicated hardware video decoding engine that has zero performance benefit for gaming.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Display performance is relatively easy to measure:
  1. make an empty map, not too big
  2. maximise the game window
  3. let the game run in fast forward for a minute
  4. note the amount of months passed
  5. restart the same map, this time make the window as small as possible
  6. run the game again in fast forward for the same time
  7. compare the amount of months passed
for some extra data points, you can try disabling "full animation" or use different blitters from the command line
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Maybe also worth mentioning that there are blitters optimized for SSE2 and SSE4 (x86), but none optimized for any ARM SIMD instruction sets.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”